•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet on the way!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#26 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:44 PM

The box has arrived and is at home right now. My wife signed for it as I'm still at work.

I finally got a call back from DHL. They said the item had a Harmonized Tariff Schedule code of 9005.80.60 which is described as "other" under Optical Telescopes in the document and has a 6% Tariff. But then they added another 15% because it came in from Germany! For a total of 21% plus their own fees. This sounds completely wrong. I can find nothing online that says there is an additional arbitrary 15% tariff on German goods. So they are gong to check further for me on Monday to see if that was in error. The other strange thing is I would have thought the telescope would be assigned a code of 9005.80.40 which is labelled as "optical telescope" and has a tariff of 8%. So lots of screwy things going on here...

Anyway, I get to open the box tonight and start to check it out...and of course here is the CSC chart...lol!

Attached Thumbnails

• csc.gif

#27 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

Well that will teach you, next time you'll know to buy a "non-optical" telescope. Sounds like a load of #$t&. Keep working on DHL.

In the long run though, and the short run, enjoy your new telescope.

• John Miele and ken30809 like this

#28 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

I  found something called the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule" for 2020 online and it shows that "optical telescopes" Code 9005.80.40 have an 8% tariff/duty. So it appears DHL way overcharged me. I called their international tariffs/duties department and guess what...you they make you leave a message and wait up to 24 hours for them to call you back to discuss your problem. So I did and hopefully I'll get about the correct credit. If not, I'll wait until the telescope arrives Monday and then call my bank to dispute the credit card charge.

Sorry to hear that. I went through something similar when I bought my TMB130 from Astronomics years ago. UPS does the same sort of thing, adding brokerage fees etc.

However once it's done and over with you will have many years of enjoyment with it, and the extra fees will be a distant memory.

Congratulations on your beautiful new refractor...

Steve

• Tyson M likes this

#29 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

You've got the telescope, what is DHL going to do? The time to extort fees from you is at time of delivery and that's passed.  Just ignore them.

#30 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

Import duty is 8% for telescopes. I've done this numerous times over the past couple years.  I know DHL can charge a brokerage fee, but what the heck if that fee ends up being more than actual duties? Wow.  I would give DHL a call to make sure they haven't made any blatant errors.

DHL is very good as parcel service i learned in the past, but also one as the most expensive ....

#31 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

Congrats, great scope!

When I had my 200mm F6 Quartz newtonian reflector shipped to my house in Florida from Teleskope-Service, I didn't have any tax or fee's to pay beyond the initial small shipping charge and it was like literally 2 day delivery... which was nuts that it flew over that fast. That was just this past year too, only a few months ago.

Maybe it's different in Alabama? :( Unfortunately it's much higher in a lot of other countries, we are spoiled by how inexpensive we can get things as it is if you think about it (here in the USA).

Very best,

#32 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

The box has arrived and is at home right now. My wife signed for it as I'm still at work.

I finally got a call back from DHL. They said the item had a Harmonized Tariff Schedule code of 9005.80.60 which is described as "other" under Optical Telescopes in the document and has a 6% Tariff. But then they added another 15% because it came in from Germany! For a total of 21% plus their own fees. This sounds completely wrong. I can find nothing online that says there is an additional arbitrary 15% tariff on German goods. So they are gong to check further for me on Monday to see if that was in error. The other strange thing is I would have thought the telescope would be assigned a code of 9005.80.40 which is labelled as "optical telescope" and has a tariff of 8%. So lots of screwy things going on here...

Anyway, I get to open the box tonight and start to check it out...and of course here is the CSC chart...lol!

Code seems indeed to point to optical telescopes. 8% duty but nothing more...i guess

http://www.faqs.org/...s/90058040.html

#33 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

Still arguing with them. Now it has become clear they assigned the wrong HST code to my  telescope which means they see it as "other" goods which are subject to an extra 15% tariff coming from PRC. But as an optical telescope the tariff is 8% plain and simple. So I filed another dispute. Hope to hear back tomorrow. To be clear, I have already paid the full amount. Otherwise they would not have delivered the scope. So I am after a partial refund at this point.

On a different note, the scope arrived unscathed except for the 2" to 1.25" adapter. It's a self centering design where you rotate a knurled ring to lock in the EP. The ring arrived arrived cocked as if it had been whacked and the adapter will not work. TS is working on a replacement part for me. In the big picture, it's a trivial item.

Made me a tad nervous because the inner box had the appearance of being hit (has a tear in it) at the focuser end. I thought a hit hard enough to do that might have thrown optics out of collimation. I don't have time for full report now but it it appears collimation  is fine based on a very quick first light last night in a poor and hazy sky.

I'm going to just keep appending pictures and reports to this thread as I go. So here are the first pictures...

The main box looked perfect. No damage at all...

The inner box was well encased with packing material but had a tear in the focuser end...see closeup. Wonder if it was shipped to TS in just the inner box and then they double boxed it to send to me...

The scope was wrapped with lots of thicker heavy duty bubble wrap and packed with more peanuts. Overall I think it was a pretty decent shipping job...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200110_193552300.jpg
  • IMG_20200110_194129421.jpg
  • IMG_20200110_194412408.jpg
  • IMG_20200110_193802964.jpg

Edited by John Miele, 13 January 2020 - 07:54 PM.

• denis0007dl, outofsight and The Luckster like this

#34 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:13 PM

Here is the scope on a scale. I measured 23.8 lbs without the lens cover. That does include the rings and bottom losmandy rail and the top vixen style rail. 

I really like this top rail which can be used as a handle because they mounted it on some standoff brackets that give your hand plenty of room to grip.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see a losmandy style bottom rail. One less thing to buy! This one looks plenty stout.

Also have  a side view of the EP adapter. You can see how the locking ring got tilted and wedged...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200110_202212309.jpg
  • IMG_20200110_202412252_TOP.jpg

• CounterWeight likes this

#35 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

And here is the scope. The paint is very nice. Not a mark on it. The lens cap has a nice snug fit and the dew shield also has a nice snug sliding action. I don't expect any slipping there. The front lens coatings look perfect. Lots of baffles in the tube. A bit  dusty on the outside. Not sure why. Picture makes it look worse with the flash. Might be static attraction. Have not even blown it off yet.

The 3.7 inch focuser is massive with a very smooth and precise feel. I am very glad I chose it over the 2.5 inch model.

More to come later...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200112_074938920.jpg
  • IMG_20200110_202556223.jpg

Edited by John Miele, 13 January 2020 - 08:22 PM.

• F.Meiresonne, hnau, CounterWeight and 7 others like this

#36 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

And here is the scope. The paint is very nice. Not a mark on it. The lens cap has a nice snug fit and the dew shield also has a nice snug sliding action. I don't expect any slipping there. The front lens coatings look perfect. Lots of baffles in the tube. A little bit of dust on the outside . Have not even bown it off yet.

The 3.7 inch focuser is massive with a very smooth and precise feel. I am very glad I chose it over the 2.5 inch model.

More to come later...

Beautiful scope.  That looks like the fluff that comes with the packaging in a new scope.  A bulb blower will take care of that fluff no problem. 

#37 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

And here is the scope. The paint is very nice. Not a mark on it. The lens cap has a nice snug fit and the dew shield also has a nice snug sliding action. I don't expect any slipping there. The front lens coatings look perfect. Lots of baffles in the tube. A bit  dusty on the outside. Not sure why. Picture makes it look worse with the flash. Might be static attraction. Have not even blown it off yet.

More to come later...

the focuser is a beauty 

the ZWO EAF fits right on it 

very pleased with mine!

#38 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

Congrats on the nice new scope, John. Hoping that you will win the battle with DHL.

#39 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

Elaborating a little more on the first light…I received the scope last Friday and had heavy rain for two days. Then Sunday night there was a brief period of partial clearing. There was lots of haze and humidity and streaky cloud bands in the air. Venus had a scattered glow around it which was visible in the finder due to all the mosture in the air. But I really wanted to at least check collimation and make sure whatever might have whacked the EP adapter did not affect collimation. So I set the scope up on my Stellarvue M2 alt-az mount and let the scope acclimate for about 30 minutes. Put in a Vixen 8mm LV eyepiece and focused on Venus which was now low and over my garage. View was crappy. So swung round and pointed up high to Capella. Ahhh much better. Racked in and out of focus multiple times which revealed essentially perfect collimation. Very circular and concentric diffraction rings that collapsed symmetrically to the in focus disc. No signs of collimation problems or astigmatism at all. The CA appeared to be non-existent but I need more looks to verify that. Then a quick peek at the double cluster before the sky was shut down completely. The stars were dim but they focused to nice tiny points. So bottom line is collimation is spot on (whew!) and I think the optic is at least a “good” one. I need to view Jupiter on a steady night to really tell how good the optics are…low contrast detail on Jupiter makes a great test! I plan to next attach the TSFLAT3 flattener and theASI071 and start taking some short images to see how flat the field is and how good the color correction is.  Nothing but clouds and rain predicted for several days but I might get a shot this weekend. Anyway…early signs all look good!

P.S. Teleskop Express responded very quickly to my email and is sending a replacement EP adapter. Response and interactions from/with them has been very good.

• CounterWeight likes this

#40 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

the focuser is a beauty 

the ZWO EAF fits right on it 

very pleased with mine!

Agree! I am very impressed with the focuser so far.

• ZL4PLM likes this

#41 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

Congratulations, it looks awesome. I think its the same focuser I have on my APM-152.

What mount are you planning to mount it on?

Cant wait to see it mounted. Are you keeping your AT-115 still.

...Ralph

#42 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:18 AM

Sorry to hear that. I went through something similar when I bought my TMB130 from Astronomics years ago. UPS does the same sort of thing, adding brokerage fees etc.

However once it's done and over with you will have many years of enjoyment with it, and the extra fees will be a distant memory.

Congratulations on your beautiful new refractor...

Steve

Importing can be  hassle.

Although i must say at time i bought my Obsession everything went very well.

The courrier even asked me to sent a fax where i had to give the permissions to charge my visa account for a defined amount for the transport.

Once in Belgium custom clearence took over , i had to provide some information about the goods but everything from there went smooth and quick.

I guess i was a bit Lucky...

#43 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

Congratulations, it looks awesome. I think its the same focuser I have on my APM-152.

What mount are you planning to mount it on?

Cant wait to see it mounted. Are you keeping your AT-115 still.

...Ralph

I'm using an AP Mach1 mount for imaging. But I was very surprised how stable it was on my SV M2 mount when I plopped it on there for a quick visual first light. Which shows how good those M2 mounts are.

I'm keeping the AT115. I'm basically going with a 2 scope setup. The 130 for imaging and the 115 for visual. I wanted dedicated scopes for each purpose. But I will have to "thin the herd" a bit to make it work (the MN190 is going up for sale eventually).

#44 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

Sweet scope! Given the star test I expect performance on Jupiter will be excellent. That's the case with my WO ZS110 triplet and Vixen 130ED SS doublet that also have text book star tests. David 

Edited by dscarpa, 17 January 2020 - 01:36 PM.

#45 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:20 PM

Still fighting the DHL express tariff issue. They are supposed to have an answer for me on Monday. Meanwhile, a few more pictures...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200112_074915902.jpg
  • IMG_20200112_074038945.jpg

Edited by John Miele, 17 January 2020 - 08:27 PM.

• CounterWeight, eros312, Hondo and 1 other like this

#46 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

One more...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200112_074956892.jpg

• eros312, outofsight, Hondo and 1 other like this

#47 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

Ok...I installed the ZWO EAF focuser and the TSFLAT3 1.0X flattener. The scope is cooling down on the Mach1GTO out back right now.  First imaging light is tonight. Brrrr...it is dipping into the low 20s so a cold adventure is ahead, but I am stoked for it!

I have the ASI071OSC camera up to bat for first imaging light. I am off by 2.5 mm (too long) from the recommended spacing. But it is the closest I can get unless I get some new adapters. The main goals tonight are to verify the focuser produces good V curves and find the optimal autofocus step size. Other goals are to see if there are any tilt issues with the camera/flattener/focuser connections, see how good the backspacing is working, and see if there are any stray reflections or  star shape issues. I will not be guiding, just taking 15 to 30 second subs.

Tomorrow night is also supposed to be clear and I plan to run the first series of guided long exposures then.

It should be fun!

Attached Thumbnails

• TS130.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, eros312, Jon_Doh and 6 others like this

#48 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

I've got the same TS3 flattener on my TS110mm (little brother to your scope).  The spacing is 55mm, and easily obtained by with the spacers provided by ZWO with my asi1600mcp.

The spacing is also quite critical.  I was 0.5mm over with a shim I needed to get my OAG lined up with the sensor.  This produced a coma-like effect in the corners.  I ditched the OAG and went back to a guide scope.  Perfect field without the shim.

#49 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:23 PM

Why is life never simple...so last night I had the worst tracking I ever had on my Mach1. The seeing was poor due to a strong cold front and I wonder if the grease was thick. Anyway, every test sub had elongated stars. All in the same direction (RA) and the same amount all over the frame so I'm about 98% sure it was tracking and not optics.So first imaging light was not great. Miscellaneous notes are as follows:

1. the ZWO EAF has some backlash. I have been spoiled by my old  Moonlite which had none. But with backlash compensation turned on and using trial and error I settled on a backlash of 60 and a step size of 50 which gave me pretty good V curves in SGP. I might still ask Ron to make me a custom Moonlite motor bracket to fit this scope. But I'll give the ZWO some more trial runs first. It did good last night.

2. The image below is the full frame (M37 open cluster) with a very slight edge crop.  No darks or flats were applied. No guiding. The vignetting is symmetric and very slight. Almost none. Flats should clean it up perfectly.That was nice.

3. Color correction appears pretty good. No blue halos around any stars.

4. The mount tracked poorly (maybe due to cold?). Aspect ratios in CCDI were between 35% and 50%. But I stacked everything anyway. These are unguided 30 second subs.

A lot more work needed to render a full verdict. but cautiously optimistic right now...but I might have to wimp out tonight...it's in the 20s out there right now with lows in the teens and poor seeing predicted tonight on the CSC....coldday.gif I know that is probably no big deal to some of you but yikes!

Attached Thumbnails

• M37stacked.jpg

Edited by John Miele, 20 January 2020 - 05:29 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#50 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

Center crop 100% size...

Attached Thumbnails

• M37crop.jpg

• ZL4PLM likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics