•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet on the way!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:04 PM

Looking good John, the backlash compensation works well and although it's slightly irritating knowing the backlash is there I doubt it has any practical impact.

Screw those temperatures, I'm in full agreement with the staying inside plan.
  • ken30809 likes this

#52 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

VICTORY!!!

DHL Express has FINALLY agreed with me that the HTS code was wrong for the telescope. They settled a tariff dispute in my favor for a refund of approximately $340. So instead of $589 it will be about $249 total cost. That includes the now corrected 8% tariff on the scope and some internal DHL processing and handling fees.

I called and badgered them about 7 times in the past week so I guess the squeaky wheel does get some attention!

• rosecityred, Moravianus, hnau and 6 others like this

#53 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

Good job, these people rely on those who just give up to get away with stuff. Good for you keeping at it.

#54 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

VICTORY!!!
DHL Express has FINALLY agreed with me that the HTS code was wrong for the telescope. They settled a tariff dispute in my favor for a refund of approximately $340. So instead of $589 it will be about $249 total cost. That includes the now corrected 8% tariff on the scope and some internal DHL processing and handling fees.

I called and badgered them about 7 times in the past week so I guess the squeaky wheel does get some attention!

Very interesting.

A few weeks ago, I ordered and received a $4000 telescope directly from China. UPS required that I pay a $40 brokerage fee before delivery. Other than that, I have not had to pay any import fees. I am wondering whether I might get an import tax bill in the mail soon???

Edited by Heywood, 21 January 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#55 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

I don't know. It seems these fees can be all over the map. The only independently documented fee structure I could find was the harmonized tariff schedule. But there seems to be different levels of enforcement depending on who delivers your product. I had no choice but to use DHL Express and you see what happened there...

#56 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

That's great John!  Glad that you won.

#57 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

John, sorry you had to go through so much trouble with DHL but it was worth it in the end.  $340 is a lot of money.

Bill

#58 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Terrible news...my new scope has astigmatism. I missed it on my first brief observation attempt. But I kept seeing elongated stars in all my camera images and could not figure out why. The elongation was slight but was clearly there on every star in the image and was uniform across the entire field. The stars would just not focus to points on the chip. At first I thought it was bad tracking  but I ruled that out since it showed up even in 3 second long exposures. Then I thought it was the camera, but I saw the exact same effect on two different cameras so I ruled out the camera. Then I thought the TSFLAT3 flattener might be defective, so I removed the flattener and still saw the problem. Finally tonight I just put in a high powered eyepiece  and did some critical viewing and can now see there is clear astigmatism in the lens. A casual observer might miss it, but it is there and the camera does not lie.

So, I just sent an email to Teleskop Express asking to return the scope for repair or replacement. I'm not looking forward to long distance shipping and and still waiting on my tariff refund from DHL Express. 

Fingers crossed this goes well...will keep posting updates here...

#59 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:33 AM

Aargh , bad luck...bawling.gif

Guess TS did not do their homework well, or they missed it.

#60 ken30809

ken30809

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

Terrible news...my new scope has astigmatism. I missed it on my first brief observation attempt. But I kept seeing elongated stars in all my camera images and could not figure out why. The elongation was slight but was clearly there on every star in the image and was uniform across the entire field. The stars would just not focus to points on the chip. At first I thought it was bad tracking  but I ruled that out since it showed up even in 3 second long exposures. Then I thought it was the camera, but I saw the exact same effect on two different cameras so I ruled out the camera. Then I thought the TSFLAT3 flattener might be defective, so I removed the flattener and still saw the problem. Finally tonight I just put in a high powered eyepiece  and did some critical viewing and can now see there is clear astigmatism in the lens. A casual observer might miss it, but it is there and the camera does not lie.

So, I just sent an email to Teleskop Express asking to return the scope for repair or replacement. I'm not looking forward to long distance shipping and and still waiting on my tariff refund from DHL Express. 

Fingers crossed this goes well...will keep posting updates here...

Wow - Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted if you can - and good luck. Interested in their customer service with this situation.

#61 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

I just got the sticker shock of my life. The box is too large for the post office. So I checked DHL, UPS, and Fedex. Box is 47x16x16. Weighs around 35 lbs. Cheapest return shipping to Germany is around $850shocked.gif !

I only paid around $100 to have it shipped here. So I just asked Teleskop Express if they can arrange the return shipping at what I assume is their special corporate rate.

Otherwise...what do I do? I can't afford to pay $850 to ship it back for repair...

As they sang it on "Hee-Haw"...It it weren't  for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...lol.gif

Edited by John Miele, 31 January 2020 - 09:11 PM.

#62 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

:(

#63 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:18 PM

I just got the sticker shock of my life. The box is too large for the post office. So I checked DHL, UPS, and Fedex. Box is 47x16x16. Weighs around 35 lbs. Cheapest return shipping to Germany is around $850shocked.gif !

I only paid around $100 to have it shipped here. So I just asked Teleskop Express if they can arrange the return shipping at what I assume is their special corporate rate.

Otherwise...what do I do? I can't afford to pay $850 to ship it back for repair...

As they sang it on "Hee-Haw"...It it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...lol.gif

That really sucks John, sorry to hear this.

I'll be interested to see how you get on. I am in the EU and so have the right to have return shipping on faulty goods paid for by the merchant, but I am having issues with TS trying to get the second faulty Skywatcher 450P that they have supplied me with back to them for a refund. I know your situation is a little different being in the US, but I'll be interested if they come through for you.

#64 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

What about just shipping the lens cell?

• Tyson M likes this

#65 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

What about just shipping the lens cell?

That is a great idea.  I would run it by TS first, as maybe their rig needs the OTA as well?

#66 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:57 PM

I remember somebody posting here that TS scopes can be purchased through somebody  (for the same price) who does a checkup of the scope first, anybody knows ?

#67 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:14 AM

It may have been here, and there is a substantial price difference, at least whatever I could find, 300 to 400 euro. Not sure if this is the one you were referring to or not. Post 5 in the first link refers to the third link, but the third link requires a search under telescopes and apo, I can't get the link with the telescope to work right. It took me awhile, but I think the third link works now. Yes, there is no free lunch.

https://www.cloudyni...apo-37-focuser/

https://www.teleskop...g---FPL-53.html

https://www.teleskop...L-53::1631.html

Edited by outofsight, 01 February 2020 - 03:28 AM.

• Moravianus likes this

#68 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:40 AM

Sorry to hear about this.  Check with Outdoor Sports Optics.  They are a TS dealer and may be able to repair/adjust the lens for you at a modest cost, certainly less than return shipping.  Good luck.  I hope you get it worked out.  TS refractors have a good reputation.

• ken30809 and Tyson M like this

#69 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ID

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

Ask to return just the lens cell.  Should only be a couple hundred insured.

#70 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

Hey guys,

TS has offered to do just that...return only the lens cell for repair or replacement which will be far less money. Around $150 ish. I think I will do that.

I am going to conduct one more test run tonight just as a final check run. Would likely mail it back Tuesday.

I want to say, they are staying in good contact and suggesting what I think are quite fair and reasonable solutions so I am happy with their support.

• F.Meiresonne, SteveG, Jon_Doh and 2 others like this

#71 troy6666

troy6666

Explorer 1

• Loc: Washington DC and Virginia

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:05 AM

TS will either email a return label to you or let you use their shipping account number. Sending back the objective only does make a lot of sense.

#72 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:21 PM

I guess they are fair. I had an issue once with a missing T2 ring in an a canon adapter.

They send over a whole new one.

No complaints about TS ...for me

• 25585 likes this

#73 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:03 AM

This is why I prefer to buy from domestic retailers, though more expensive. Good that TS is being supportive, hope it all resolves OK. 

#74 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

I remember somebody posting here that TS scopes can be purchased through somebody  (for the same price) who does a checkup of the scope first, anybody knows ?

I think that was me re Karl Kloss.  There was no price differential.  I got a simple optical test of my particular scope, good reassurance for the foreign purchase.  The scope arrived in a surprisingly large box, it was extremely well packed.  Perfect condition.

No commercial connection, just a satisfied customer.

https://www.teleskop...b450009717296b7

#75 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

BTW as far as TS is concerned, for complaints you can Always mail Wolfie him self directly.

Got a survey today for the 76 EDPH i bought from lately, on that his direct email address is mentioned should one have complaints

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics