•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet on the way!

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#76 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

I think that was me re Karl Kloss.  There was no price differential.  I got a simple optical test of my particular scope, good reassurance for the foreign purchase.  The scope arrived in a surprisingly large box, it was extremely well packed.  Perfect condition.

No commercial connection, just a satisfied customer.

https://www.teleskop...b450009717296b7

Karl Kloss is one of the most friendly and compentent sellers in Germany! absolute recommendation!

• bobzeq25 likes this

#77 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:24 PM

I did not know about this Karl Kloss until just now...oh well...

I just shipped my lens assembly back to TS today. I used 3 to 5 day priority mail express.

And just to be clear about my expectations, I fully understand this is a bargain priced 130mm FPL-53 triplet. I know that for this low of a price, corners had to be cut. Lesser QC, looser tolerances on machining, no test report will be provided, etc. I get it. I never expected a drop dead "Tak-like" view.

I expected possibly some CA. I definitely expected a little bit of over or under correction...I expected diffraction rings will probably not be even on both sides of focus.. too much brightness in the first ring...these are all no big deal to me. This was all within the expected trade space between economical value and quality.

But I do expect a round airy disc at best focus at high power...not little rainbow colored ellipses that appear both visually and in images. I consider that to be a defect and not "cherry picking"...

John

• JKAstro and Axunator like this

#78 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

Bummer on the scope. Hope the replacement cell works great. I have ordered an 10 inch f/4 Newtonian about 3 years ago from TS and did pay Tarif stuff to DHL. Ordered an 8 inch f/6 last fall and paid no extra fees. Very happy with both scopes.

#79 TimP

TimP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

I was charged by UPS but not by DHL. I asked UPS to show me what I was paying extra for and the guy said he didn't have that information. DHL has never asked me for extra money.

Tim

Just got my shipping notice from DHL Express...jump.gif ...!!! The TS130 is expected to arrive Monday by end of day.

Does anyone know if DHL charges any type of additional duty or import fee? Is anything else moneywise due upon delivery?

#80 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

Well they sure took a bite out of me...lol!

• miguel gonzalez likes this

#81 dark_knight_007

dark_knight_007

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:47 PM

sorry about issues with your scope John. .......i got my TS-130mm scope in may last year...great scope.....unfortunately for various reasons i could not take any pics of any targets yet, which is a bummer but before placing order i did a bit of research about import fees, dont remember where i read  the suggestion  but i asked Teleskop-express to mention  "scientific instrument" in customs form, cannot for sure say that did the trick or got lucky but i did not pay any duty fees for shipping by DHL.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#82 Stellar1

Stellar1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:24 PM

I really hope this all has a happy ending, stories like this make me weary about ordering a scope from overseas, i am really wishing this will work out in the end for you.

#83 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:42 AM

I shipped my lens back to TS on February 11 using 3 to 5 day priority mail. It was received yesterday. So essentially 30 days for shipping and customs to Germany. I would never have thought it would take that long to arrive...

#84 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:28 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may be impacted by the ban on inbound commerce shipments from the EU announced last night by Pres. Trump....Sorry....you will want to check this...

#85 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

I'll say it again...If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...gloom...despair...and agony on me..lol.gif .lol! That will only be funny to old Hee-Haw fans like me!

Well it is what it is...life will go on. I think we all have more important things to worry about right now anyway. I was just shocked it took so long to arrive...shocked.gif

• Tim C and Blueox4 like this

#86 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:09 PM

It'll work out in the end. And does the ban include cargo planes too? Hopefully not . . . 

#87 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:14 PM

Hang in there John. Just keep singing that Hee Haw song.
  • F.Meiresonne likes this

#88 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

cum bay ya ..??grin.gif

sorryflowerred.gif

#89 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

Another appropriate song is "Born Under a Bad Sign".

#90 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may be impacted by the ban on inbound commerce shipments from the EU announced last night by Pres. Trump....Sorry....you will want to check this...

I understand the travel ban to be for people...not goods...is that incorrect?

#91 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

The current travel ban EXCLUDES goods and services, and applies only to passengers / people who are NOT US citizens / permanent residents + family or passengers that fall into a limited number of additional category of travelers.

Best., 

skybsd 

• eros312 likes this

#92 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

Correct - All goods and commerce flowing.  In fact, I'm placing an order with Telescope Service later today.

#93 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:04 PM

Another appropriate song is "Born Under a Bad Sign".

Hi Clay,

do you mean the Robert Cray version :-)!

Cheers from a hifi addicted guy for 40 years who has finished his journey in that hobby! It could go different but not any better! But may be... a dedicated listening room with the remaining tweakslol.gif - but this is most probably for the next life!

Oliver

Edited by Astrohobby, 16 March 2020 - 02:19 PM.

#94 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:40 PM

UPDATE:!

Ok...the travel ban did only apply to people not goods. TS optics shipped me a replacement lens assembly which only took a little over a week to arrive. They labelled it as a warranty replacement item with no commercial value on the invoice so there was zero duty charges!

The weather has been absolutely horrible for days and days but I finally had a brief period of no rain with just a haze in the sky and poor seeing but it was enough to verify the collimation was good. The turbulence was bad but it would steady up a little for a few seconds at a time and I could see no sign of astigmatism. The airy disc was round and the diffraction rings were wobbly but concentric. This time I used my highest powers to inspect the images. Then I backed down to a low power view of M42 which was very pretty and showed good contrast.

I then swapped in my ASI1600mm camera and took a few short subs of M37 with a luminance filter. And unlike before, the star images were round instead of being little streaks! The image below is a 100% crop of the center. I had no time to try the TSFLAT3 so corner star shapes are still TBD. But the lens appears to be perfectly fine and now I think I can finally move forward and start to enjoy the scope should it ever stop raining!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• test.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, Alterf, SteveG and 12 others like this

#95 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:14 PM

Great to hear this, John.

#96 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

Hi everyone,

The scope is ready for a first real imaging run with the replacement lens tonight on M106. Here is the scope in its imaging configuration with the ASI1600mm camera and a rig runner/USB3 Hub set up on the top rings. I mounted a Moonlite stepper motor to the focuser with my own custom attachment bracket.  Tonight will be the first use of that motor so I’ll be monitoring the focusing “V-curves” closely.  I’m also using the TSFLAT3 1.0X Flattener for the first time.  In order to achieve proper backfocus with the TSFLAT3 and keep every connection threaded, I had to order some unique parts from TS Optics. The backfocus requirement from the M80 thread on the aft end of the flattener is 117mm (this includes 1mm added to account for the 3mm thick Chroma filters in the wheel). To achieve this backfocus with the ZWO EFW mini filter wheel and the Celestron OAG in the mix, the TS Optics folks helped me come up with this optical train:

Drawtube : TSFLAT3 : TSFlat3-SC : TSSC-M48 : TSM48vvar : Celestron OAG : Filter Wheel : Camera

The TSSC-M48 is a variable length adapter with 6mm of adjustment so I can set the backfocus exactly  at the spec value. It seems quite sturdy when you lock down the adjuster ring.

This will also my last post in this thread unless there are some specific questions that pop up. I’ll be moving future discussions to the imaging forum since it’s mainly about the imaging performance from here on. Thank you all for allowing me to vent my frustrations getting to this point. It really helped!

Cs…John

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200401_151813900.jpg

• JKAstro, contrailmaker and eros312 like this

#97 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:23 PM

More pics...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200401_151905496.jpg
  • IMG_20200401_151844793.jpg

• Alterf and eros312 like this

#98 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:24 PM

Last pic...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200401_152025216.jpg

#99 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:16 AM

Glad you got your issues sorted out.  Wishing you clear skies and outstanding optics!  

BTW, that's a good looking refractor  waytogo.gif

#100 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:11 PM

Maybe as a parting post, Venus in Pleiades tonight ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics