•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet on the way!

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Deesk06

Deesk06

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

Hey John!

How did your imaging night go? I was thinking of ordering form TS Optics!

#102 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:57 PM

From the pictures this sure is a killer scope!

• ndabunka likes this

#103 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

Hey John!

How did your imaging night go? I was thinking of ordering form TS Optics!

Well the weather shut me out on M106 but I was able to grab the Rosette nebula the next night and the new lens with the TSFLAT3 is 'rockin!

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC2237_Rosette_stackedA.jpg

• SteveG, eros312, John O'Grady and 6 others like this

#104 orion69

orion69

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:28 AM

I can't find anywhere how fast does this scope cool down for visual use? 

#105 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:53 PM

I honestly don't really  know. I always put my scope outside at least an hour before I plan to use it. Just a habit I got into with all my scopes. I have never noticed any cool down issues but it's always spent at least an hour acclimating to the air temp. 

Actually, I'm not really sure what to look for in a refractor that would indicate more cooling is needed...is it strange star shapes or some type of plume?

#106 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:30 PM

Just one last report to provide. I split some really close doubles a couple weeks ago and the scope performed very well. But I don't feel that double star performance  really gives a complete test of an optic. To me, it takes planets, and in particular it takes Jupiter with all its low contrast detail to really show if an optic will perform.

So  it was finally just two nights ago that I had the scope on my tracking mount set up for visual use and was able to get up at 4:30AM to observe Jupiter and Saturn as they finally cleared the trees in the backyard with a good stable airmass overhead.

I first used an 8mm Pentax @ 114x. Jupiter was incredible! It snapped into focus and was simply etched with detail. Excellent contrast and sharp as a tack. I then put in a 2X barlow giving me 228x and while the view dimmed a lot and the contrast lowered a bit, the details were still sharp and I was following splits and contours in the main cloud bands! My only issue was the floaters in my good observing eye hindering the view. A better quality BV is now on my shopping list. No hint of any CA anywhere. The moons were clear discs. Saturn readily gave up the Cassini division sharply defined all the way around and subtle banding and shading easily visible on the planet.The sliver of shadow of the planet on the rings was a nice deep black. No bleed-over that I could detect. Now this is what a 5 inch APO should be doing! I believe the new lens has just passed it's final test and I am 100% pleased with the purchase of this scope.

Edited by John Miele, 20 June 2020 - 02:31 PM.

• orion69, chakel and ndabunka like this

#107 orion69

orion69

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

Just one last report to provide. I split some really close doubles a couple weeks ago and the scope performed very well. But I don't feel that double star performance  really gives a complete test of an optic. To me, it takes planets, and in particular it takes Jupiter with all its low contrast detail to really show if an optic will perform.

So  it was finally just two nights ago that I had the scope on my tracking mount set up for visual use and was able to get up at 4:30AM to observe Jupiter and Saturn as they finally cleared the trees in the backyard with a good stable airmass overhead.

I first used an 8mm Pentax @ 114x. Jupiter was incredible! It snapped into focus and was simply etched with detail. Excellent contrast and sharp as a tack. I then put in a 2X barlow giving me 228x and while the view dimmed a lot and the contrast lowered a bit, the details were still sharp and I was following splits and contours in the main cloud bands! My only issue was the floaters in my good observing eye hindering the view. A better quality BV is now on my shopping list. No hint of any CA anywhere. The moons were clear discs. Saturn readily gave up the Cassini division sharply defined all the way around and subtle banding and shading easily visible on the planet.The sliver of shadow of the planet on the rings was a nice deep black. No bleed-over that I could detect. Now this is what a 5 inch APO should be doing! I believe the new lens has just passed it's final test and I am 100% pleased with the purchase of this scope.

Thank you for this report, you actually got me consider this scope again, although the weight and cooling time could still be a problem to me.

Did you maybe try it on Vega and the Moon? Any CA there at high mags?

#108 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

Have not tried Vega yet but there was no noticeable CA on the Moon at all powers I used. The scope is very well color corrected (at least to my eyes it is).

Please read what I went through however to get to this point...I had to have my first lens replaced...details are in this thread...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics