•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aperture mask for canon 2.8/200

astrophotography accessories dso refractor
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:04 AM

I need a quick solution to stop down my 2.8/200 before the step-down ring kit arrive from fleabay (weeks...). Anyone used a simple cardboard mask on camera lenses? I know many do that with refractors for solar work.

#2 mastersniper

mastersniper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:24 AM

I assume this is to mount the lens to a astro camera via adapter.  If so there is no need for a mask, assuming you have canon body.  Attach lens to EOS body, turn on camera, set aperture to whatever say F5.6, turn on live-view, detach lens, blades stay stopped down turn off body. At least the several canon lenses I have operate that way so I assume the 200/f2.8 would as well.

#3 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

Forgot, it's a 6D and I also use a nikon z6 with a dumb EF-Z adapter (no electrical contact), aperture setting would be of course obvious but I would like to get rid of the diffraction spikes coming from the blades.

Edited by GTom, 16 December 2019 - 08:56 AM.

#4 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:53 AM

Should be possible. If you don’t want any kind of diffraction spikes, you will need a pretty perfect cut. You can get a compass-style circular paper cutter at a craft store. That’s what I use for making solar filters.
  • GTom likes this

#5 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

Thank you, I'll try it waytogo.gif

#6 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:54 PM

I assume this is to mount the lens to a astro camera via adapter.  If so there is no need for a mask, assuming you have canon body.  Attach lens to EOS body, turn on camera, set aperture to whatever say F5.6, turn on live-view, detach lens, blades stay stopped down turn off body. At least the several canon lenses I have operate that way so I assume the 200/f2.8 would as well.

Tried, works waytogo.gif , should be ok for my 1.4/20 sigma, where I don't worry about diffraction spikes. Is it OK to leave the aperture stopped down for weeks? The 6D body doesn't come with me all the time.

#7 mastersniper

mastersniper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:05 AM

Tried, works waytogo.gif , should be ok for my 1.4/20 sigma, where I don't worry about diffraction spikes. Is it OK to leave the aperture stopped down for weeks? The 6D body doesn't come with me all the time.

I figured out this 'trick' by accident left my 70-200 stopped down for a few months with no noticeable issues still using it 6 years later just fine.

• GTom likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, accessories, dso, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics