•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 6D astro vs stock nikon z6 for galaxies?

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

I have two cameras: a full-spectrum 6D and recently bought a z6 which I have no intentions to tear down just yet. Obviously the canon thrives on H-alpha objects but what should I expect for smaller galaxies, such as the ones in Virgo & Fornax?

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

Both cameras have  fairly large  pixels, which can limit resolution if you are operating with shorter focal lengths.  My 6D, which is not modified, actually worked fairly well with  my older 10" Meade SCT at f/10 for smaller objects.  The issue there is more in keeping the SCT focus sharp, and having the guiding good enough to match the stronger image scale.

My guess is they will give fairly similar results.  Some  of the Nikon cameras have good sensitivity  to H-alpha, so not being modified may not be a big  issue.

#3 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

First round I will do wide field stuff with a canon 2.8/200 and a ts 90+riccardi (450mm focus). For anything bigger I'll have to upgrade my mount (fornax lightrack is the biggest I got ATM).

#4 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:22 PM

Do you have an adapter to use the Canon lens on the Z6 so that you can compare apples to apples ?

I know that there was talk of an adapter that would operate the aperture and focus of a Canon lens on a Z6 but I don't know if it became a reality.

Steve.

#5 GTom

GTom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:53 PM

Yes, that's the one. One thing: I am planning to get the Astronomik L1 clip filter for the 6D, which is a bit of gambling with CA but would certainly give a significant advantage compared to nikon's built-in BG39.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics