•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PegasusAstro Cube 2 Focuser--Esprit 120 ED

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:49 PM

After some email exchanges with Pegasus Astro and dealer about how to mount the focuser on Esprit 120 I ordered one and just finished installing it.

The question raised in the original thread was how exactly to install the mounting bracket, which holes to use and whether it was possible to use the two holes recommended by Skywatcher.

In response to the first thread Pegasus Astro now includes in the box the two m4 x 30 mm screws required for the Esprit focuser. This is helpful if you live in one of the two countries where the local hardware might not stock M4 .7 x 30 mm screws.

To install the bracket on the Esprit you must first remove and reverse the finder scope shoe so that the clamping screw faces away from the the focuser bracket.

Reverse Shoe.jpg

Continued in next post.

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:55 PM

According to both Skywatcher and Pegasus the two focuser attachment screw shown in the image are the only ones to replace with the M4  .7 x 30 mm bracket mounting screws.

skywatcher esprit 22661.jpg

bracket alinged correctly.jpg

Continued in next post.

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

Installed bracket.

iNSTALLED BRKT.jpg

Side view Installed.jpg

I downloaded and installed the Pegasus control app, USB and ASCOM drivers. I powered the unit and everything seems to work as it should. I then closed the Pegasus app and started SharpCap Pro. The Cube 2 was on the drop down focuser list (File, SharpCap Settings, Hardware Tab, Focusers) and I selected it. A focuser control section appeared in the large control panel and the focus motor responded to commands.

Edited by barbarosa, 19 December 2019 - 05:17 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#4 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:20 PM

Looks very nice. I am looking at one for my SCT.  How fast can it go? I have read a few posts where the fastest speed is somewhat slow and that can be agonizing on a SCT when switching from an eyepiece to camera.

#5 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:34 PM

Pegasus (and all in that price range) work quite well but they are a bit slow. I had one of the Pegasus on a scope I sold earlier this year.

I believe to get decent speed in a focuser you would have to step up in price to around 500 plus bucks and get either one of the MoonLite's...an Optec Inc. FocusLynx Focuser (I have two of these) or a Posi Drive from Starlight Instruments.

Edited by scadvice, 19 December 2019 - 05:40 PM.

#6 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

Looks very nice. I am looking at one for my SCT.  How fast can it go? I have read a few posts where the fastest speed is somewhat slow and that can be agonizing on a SCT when switching from an eyepiece to camera.

What would be a useful metric? It has two speed ranges, "accurate" and "fast" but I don't know how to translate steps per and what looks like a  good linear in or out rate on a directly coupled rack and pinion setup to the belt an pulley used with the SCT  screw and lever focuser. But thinking about it when I crank the SCT knob for a long move, it is a sort of partial turn, release and repeat motion. A continuously turning motor drive could have a slower rotational speed and still be as fast or faster and certainly a lot smoother.

My suggestion would be to  send Pegasus the question. If they don't have a number I bet they will test a unit and give you the time to go lock to lock. They are a couple of responsive guys.

The preceding post suggests that all focuses in this price range are slow in comparison to high priced units. I simply don't know, But I have owned an SCT with a high price  after market focuser and its virtue was that it had a slower fine focus. 

I am very familiar with the endless cranking particularly when I started by moving the mirror the wrong way, But my primary reason for going with the motor drive now is to avoid having to go outside to adjust focus as the temperature goes down. If i put one on the SCT the dual advantage is the the reduction in shaking when focusing.

When i used to sit at the scope I used a foam ring on the SCT's focus knob to change the ratio and I felt better fine focusing. But I see a motor focus in the near future.

Edited by barbarosa, 19 December 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#7 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:56 PM

I have the same installation on my Esprit 100 and it has worked well. However the problem I had is that those little allen screws (the black ones) in the coupler tend to come loose and the focuser does not work well.

https://www.cloudyni...s-graph-in-sgp/

Now, after tightening them up everything has worked fine, but to keep it in mind.

• barbarosa likes this

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:25 AM

I have the same installation on my Esprit 100 and it has worked well. However the problem I had is that those little allen screws (the black ones) in the coupler tend to come loose and the focuser does not work well.

https://www.cloudyni...s-graph-in-sgp/

Now, after tightening them up everything has worked fine, but to keep it in mind.

Sounds like a job for low strength thread locker or  an expedient substitute - a drop of nail polish or paint can do it. I will keep an eye out for the  problem so thank you.

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

Sounds like a job for low strength thread locker or  an expedient substitute - a drop of nail polish or paint can do it. I will keep an eye out for the  problem so thank you.

The ZWO EAF version comes with a bit of Loctite (blue coating) already on those little screws.  I thought that was a thoughtful touch...:)

#10 BobT

BobT

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Driftwood, TX

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

The FocusCube2 installation on my Esprit120 looks the same except I put two thin 1/2" Nylon washers between the focuser and the FC2 mount to prevent scratching the anodize on the focuser.  The FC2 mounting bracket is a bit rough where the slots are milled, could have stood a little deburring before the finish was  applied.   I am happy with the installation, it works quite well.

BobT

#11 cyendrey

cyendrey

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

I have that scope and focuser, but can’t see how to remoce the focus knob on the Esprit.  ???

thanks in advance!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics