•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Omni AZ 102 Discussions and Input - Owners Only Please

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 Watch&Learn

Watch&Learn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:55 AM

I purchased the "AZ" version (no mention of XLT on it), thinking it would be a good "grab and go" for visual observations. What I found within the next few days was that:

The OTA was way out of collimation (much worse than any other refractor I've seen) and the lens cell was not adjustable. There was more CA than I expected (possibly due to the lack of collimation?). The focuser felt pretty good for a R&P, although a bit "sticky" (probably because of the gluey grease manufacturers seem to love using). Between this and the shakiness of the tripod, fine focus adjustments were difficult and quite annoying. The dovetail bar was either improperly placed or too short to allow balancing (or both).

The included eyepieces, diagonal mirror and finder looked and felt like they needed to be replaced right away. Personal preference plays a role here, as I am not a fan of plastic red dot finders or diagonal mirrors that have a plastic housing.

The aluminum tripod was shaky. It did have a decent set of stabilizing braces, but the the way the accessory tray attached to them (via a single screw placed in the center) did not help much (if at all) with the stabilizing aspect. The "traditional" design (triangular shaped tray attached with 3 screws placed in the corners) looks much better to me in this sense.

The mount looked nice in theory. It was one of the decision factors when I made the purchase, as I like the idea of slip clutches + "limitless" slow motion adjustments. Unfortunately, due to the improper balancing, the altitude control did not work evenly in both directions (and better / heavier eyepieces would most likely make the clutch slip). Changing direction on a slo-mo control involved about half a turn before the scope started moving; also, every time I adjusted the altitude, the first thing that happened was a visible shift in azimuth. Probably too much play in the gears / bearings and/or plastic parts? If adjustments were available, they were hidden under a couple of plastic caps that did not seem to be made to withstand removing and reattaching.

I see good reviews here; it could be that some of these scopes are made better than others and I was out of luck that day.

Edited by Watch&Learn, 22 February 2021 - 08:29 AM.

#52 Watch&Learn

Watch&Learn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:04 PM

hi everybody

This is my combine set-up with Celestron AZ 102,

Staying very close to the airport, it is huge of light pollution. With this set up, I could quick carry it around the neighbor-hood. 

I get a nice view - to my opinion laugh.gif - of Jupiter, Saturn, Moon, Mars, Venus... Orion nebula, 7 sisters

& hope to discovery more object up in night sky.

Wishing all happy & healthy year 2021

If you don't mind me asking, what mount is that?  (Does not look like the one that comes with the 102-AZ.) Thank you.

#53 Voilam

Voilam

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vietnam

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:17 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what mount is that?  (Does not look like the one that comes with the 102-AZ.) Thank you.

the mount itself  is Astro-tech voyager AZ mount, fit in a Velbon camera tripod

& sorry to hear about your 102AZ, how is it now ?

Edited by Voilam, 21 February 2021 - 11:27 PM.

#54 Watch&Learn

Watch&Learn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:31 AM

the mount itself  is Astro-tech voyager AZ mount, fit in a Velbon camera tripod

& sorry to hear about your 102AZ, how is it now ?

That looks like a solid setup, thank you.  As for the 102AZ, I felt like it needed too many fixes (or replacements) before I could enjoy it, so ended up returning it to the store.

Edited by Watch&Learn, 22 February 2021 - 10:38 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics