•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TeleVue Apollo 11 reviews here

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

The eyepieces are about to reach their owners, so it's finally the time to see how it performs and compares to others (after mandatory clouds, rain, snow, and heavy winds).
I thought it would be nice to have the incoming reviews of the Televue Apollo 11 here *in a lean way*. Questions to users and links to external reviews are welcomed.

Please keep aside comments not related to the actual performance. The other threads were very extensive but no actual review at all (up to 1000 posts!). I want to give future readers the information they want to see, not all the chatting we already had without any actual use at all (it was fun, but vastly pointless by now; yes, I'm partly guilty too).

Thanks
Santiago
  • Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#2 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

popcorn.gif

• stargazer32864 likes this

#3 Ac2aj

Ac2aj

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

Mine will be in the closet in the box. Bought for collectivity.

Brian

Edited by Ac2aj, 20 December 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#4 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

At last summers Stellafane Al Nagler set up next to me and stuck an Apollo 11 in my TV102 for two hours and I found it to be an excellent eyepiece, good E/R, no blackouts, Sharp to the edge and plenty of FOV. I mostly observed the globulars in the Sagittarius region and all the M- objects up the Milky Way. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.jpg

• turtle86, Live_Steam_Mad, eros312 and 7 others like this

#5 star drop

star drop

The Cardinal

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:54 PM

Brian

Well then we expect a box review.

• Procyon, lookoutmtn17, leviathan and 6 others like this

#6 sydney

sydney

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:59 AM

I’m waiting for someone to review the talking lunar module advertised in the back of Sky & Telescope.  Also a Limited Edition.

#7 25585

Cosmos

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:52 AM

And this  https://uk.pcmag.com...es-moon-landing

#8 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:57 PM

That last email from Astronomics that indicated these were still available made me review my decision regarding buying one. I confirmed that, for me, adding it between the 10 Ethos and APM HDC 13mm was not indicated. 

Instead I ordered the 21E to replace my APM HDC 20 and expect to soon replace my APM HDC 13 with a 13E. This decision is not based on optical performance but instead on the mercenary performance APM inflicted on the major active US public observing facility and equipment upgrade. You will have to look it up to learn of it if you care. I claim my right to make such decisions unilaterally without need for explanation or consultation.

So reviewing my decision to not buy the 11mm allowed me to upgrade the "ethical" content of my eyepiece kit at what will wind up a lower overall $ outlay versus buying that one ep. Yeah, I'm happy with that.

• izar187 likes this

#9 Spartinix

Spartinix

Viking 1

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

Brian

Yawn.

• Doug Culbertson, Jim Nelson, WilRobinson and 5 others like this

#10 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

...I ordered the 21E to replace my APM HDC 20 and expect to soon replace my APM HDC 13 with a 13E. This decision is not based on optical performance...

So would you share your thoughts on how the APMs compare to the Ethos?

#11 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

So would you share your thoughts on how the APMs compare to the Ethos?

I think they are really close. I had a 13E and APM HDC 13 at the same time and compared them. But I got an offer for an even trade of the 13E for a 3.7E-SX from a reliable trading partner and took it before coming to a conclusion. The only thing certain was that it was going to take a while to sort out differences.

I have the 21E in hand and doubt I ever compare it with the 20mm. The 21E is already in the ep case and the 20mm is back in its original box all bagged to sell.

#12 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

...This decision is not based on optical performance but instead on the mercenary performance APM inflicted on the major active US public observing facility and equipment upgrade. You will have to look it up to learn of it if you care. I claim my right to make such decisions unilaterally without need for explanation or consultation.....

Where can we look this up or what to search to look it up? 

• Doug Culbertson, Live_Steam_Mad, russell23 and 3 others like this

#13 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

Where can we look this up or what to search to look it up? 

The only thing I can find is that APM did or is providing an 8" f/12 objective for the Lowell Public Observatory.

#14 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

I remain ever hopeful someone here will review the Apollo 11 and not other eyepieces. David

• Jaimo!, Procyon, AD14EM2 and 5 others like this

#15 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:46 PM

My plan is to compare using this form and post later:

Attached Files

Edited by Starman1, 26 December 2019 - 06:47 PM.

• Jim Nelson, Procyon, areyoukiddingme and 3 others like this

#16 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:08 PM

A few notes after using the Apollo 11 in the daylight:

1) WARNING!!! If the 2" adapter is tight on the eyepiece and you go to remove it, it will start to unscrew the bottom 1.25" section of the eyepiece.

I suggest you remove the 2" adapter, tighten the 1.25" eyepiece section as tightly as you can, then reinstall the 2" adapter and do not tighten it

to as great a degree.  Once I did that, removing the 2" adapter was easy.

2) The eyepiece has an unusual exit pupil behavior for me in the daylight (yielding a 1.6mm exit pupil in the scope I used):

[which should be nearly ideal for my daylight pupil size]

to wit:

--as I approach the eyepiece (in a scope), there is a noticeable, thick, grey ring around the lighted exit pupil between it and the black area outside the exit pupil.

Once I arrive at the exit pupil the grey ring is gone and the eyepiece behaves normally.  I tried 3 other eyepieces and did not see the grey ring around the exit pupil

as I approached the eyepieces.  I have no idea what causes this.  Reflection inside the barrel?  Daylight reflection from the eye lens surface? Unknown.

--if you drift inside the exit pupil, the degree of severity of blackouts is less than in many other eyepieces around the periphery of the field, but the center of the field

vignettes, i.e. grows darker.  I cannot recall seeing that behavior in an eyepiece before, as, usually, the edges black out first.  As I move in farther, the center grows even darker,

and eventually the edge gets darker, too.  Again, not an issue at the exit pupil.

3) There is just a hint of vignetting at the edge of the field.  Illumination is a tad lower there than about 5° inboard from the edge.  The thin blue line at the edge is about

as thin as I've ever seen in an eyepiece. It really is only apparent when looking at the very field stop. The vignetting is only apparent when looking at the bright sky--I could not see it when looking at any land objects.  And, it is visible whether looking at the edge with peripheral vision, or looking direct at the edge.  I see a lot more, and wider, in many ultrawide eyepieces.

It is small enough it will be invisible at night.

4) I could just see the edge of the field with peripheral vision when wearing glasses, though I had to press my glasses into the rubber eyecup to do so.  

I have deep-set eyes, so many glasses wearers may find it easier to see the entire field.  The concave eye lens is right at the very top of the eyepiece, though,

and not recessed more than a couple millimeters from the top of the rubber.

5) Rectilinear distortion is in the form of pincushion and about what I expected for this field size. " ) | ( "  is actually a bit more than I saw, so it is not obtrusive.

6) Angular magnification distortion (determined by examining a sign as it crossed the field) was negligible.  If any size change occurred, it was not noticeable.

I'm encouraged--the eyepiece seems oriented to astronomical, nighttime, use.

7) There was no noticeable chromatic aberration or smear as sharp-edged targets near the edge.

8) Looking through the eyepiece at a bright sky, with eyepiece held at arm's length, there is a bright ring around the perimeter of the eye lens.

As you tip the eyepiece, it blacks out on one edge of the other, but, when looking on axis, there is a bright ring there.I compared it with several other similar field size eyepieces

of similar focal lengths, and they all had multiple bright, concentric, rings visible inside the eyepiece when doing this (which the Apollo did not).  One other had a similar bright ring around the edge.

The bright ring appears to be a reflection from the eye lens rather than light coming through the eyepiece, since it is visible when looking at the eyepiece on the desk,

and easily visible when setting the eyepiece on the floor and looking down at it.

The grey ring I noticed around the exit pupil is ever-so-slightly visible around the image when holding the eyepiece at arm's length but it is very faint.

The bright ring reflection from the eye lens does not disappear when flipping the eyecup into the up position, or when inserting the eyepiece into a paper towel tube and looking at the eye lens from 

a foot away with your head blocking most of the light.  This was not an issue when in use in a telescope.

9) When looking about 45° away from the sun at the bright sky, a bright ring becomes visible, and covering the filter threads interrupts it, so if the eyepiece is used to view the sun

or in bright daylight in a short f/ratio scope, it might be advisable to paint the filter threads flat black.  They appear to be outside the normal field of view, so may only be visible

if a bright light is several degrees to the side and reflects off the shiny chrome.  This would not be a nighttime issue, but it is conceivable it might be a lunar-viewing result if

used in a scope where the Moon was a lot larger than the field of view.

I will have to check it later when the Moon comes back.

10) a view of the city from several miles away showed a nice flat field.  Once in focus, the whole field was.  Exemplary behavior for an 85° field in a short focal length scope.

Note:

Some things you can notice in daylight examination of an eyepiece are simply not issues when the eyepiece is used.  I have not found any ultrawide eyepiece with absolutely zero

reflection, light scatter, or even exit pupil issues when used in the daylight.  From anyone, including Pentax and Takahashi.  So take my observations to be just that--comments on what I saw

when examining the eyepiece and using it in a 4" scope to look at daylight objects.

Anyone else duplicate what I see?

Edited by Starman1, 27 December 2019 - 04:20 PM.

• John Huntley, GlenM, Live_Steam_Mad and 6 others like this

#17 25585

Cosmos

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:20 PM

4) is a good description of my Orion LHDs FoV wearing glasses. The LHDs have their eye lenses just under the top rim. 

What is the A11 eye lens diameter Don?

#18 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

4) is a good description of my Orion LHDs FoV wearing glasses. The LHDs have their eye lenses just under the top rim. 

What is the A11 eye lens diameter Don?

29.95mm, call it 30mm.

• 25585 likes this

#19 25585

Cosmos

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

29.95mm, call it 30mm.

Same as the Orions. What for the others you tested (& Docter)? 

#20 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:22 PM

12.5mm APM 84° UWA  36.4mm 20.2mm eye relief calculated and add the depth of the concave lens. Mfr. claims 23.0mm eye relief.

12.5mm Baader Morpheus 76° 36.4mm 23.3mm eye relief calculated and add the depth of the concave lens. Mfr claims 19.8mm eye relief.

Note: the eye lens size only determines the maximum eye relief for a given apparent field, not the minimum.

In a design, the entire eye lens doesn't have to be used by the light cone, i.e. the eye lens can be oversized.

I believe the Baader ER claim in other words, but not the APM.

Edited by Starman1, 27 December 2019 - 07:23 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#21 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:29 PM

Mine has arrived today!

Taking advantage of this post: ladies and gentleman, please stay focused with the topic: review, use, performance, and questions and comparisons. For other topics go to other threads. (I didn't want to post that without having something to say related to the topic)

The box review: I was expecting an OK-ish carboard, but it results to be a much more elegant case. It's not a hand crafted wood case, but it satisfies me and it's a good housing for those who won't use the Apollo (not my case). The coin is heavy!

I only had few minutes the eyepiece in my hands.

For what one can test without scope, I can certify what Don said in post #18. I saw the gray ring from the distance. I saw also tonight an orange ring outside the pupile, from the distance; "the new ring of fire"lol.gif. My guess is that the coatings had something to do with that. This is all gone when the eye is positioned for observing, so don't worry.

So far it looks very comfortable. It reminds me my Nagler 22T4, very immersive. The field looks huge for me. I have never seen through a 100° eyepeice, but these 85° makes me forget any desire!

Again, my eyes were not dark adapted and I just had the eyepiece in my hand. It seems that we may have clear skies on Monday, I'm looking forward to use it.

Probably 11mm won't be my most used eyepiece. For DSO it will be too much power in my C8. Last Saturday my 22 and 17 mm T4s were the most used, followed by very high powers for doubles. For Jupiter and Saturn it might be right if seeing is not excellent (I could use full power some nights last summer). If I was in darker place, probably I would use the 11m more, e.g. in small nebulas and globular clusters. However, it may bee a very good companion of my SkyWatcher 80mm ED refractor.

Santiago

#22 Ac2aj

Ac2aj

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:04 AM

Here are some pics of mine.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails

• FC597E62-9BFE-4F30-B603-118C0277E7A8.jpeg
  • 6C5269BD-B5D5-4E78-B5C9-7033F9ABEC2C.jpeg
  • 8A45B48C-DCC2-462F-9D68-008AF8CC6A01.jpeg
  • 3A8BE112-10CE-42A7-B52D-ED9481C41C03.jpeg

• payner, Live_Steam_Mad, Javier1978 and 2 others like this

#23 Ac2aj

Ac2aj

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:06 AM

I really like how the barrel unscrews making it an 1 1/4. It’s very nicely done and the box is actually really nice. I will actually use this eyepiece I think instead of it sitting in the closet.

Brian

• Dr Morbius, payner and bbqediguana like this

#24 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

I really like how the barrel unscrews making it an 1 1/4. It’s very nicely done and the box is actually really nice. I will actually use this eyepiece I think instead of it sitting in the closet.

Brian

I don't have any Ethos-like 2" adapter, but for what I see, I like more the one of the Apollo. That said, I should remark what Don already said: it's easy to unscrew the 1.25" bottom part, lenses included, when one wants to take out the adapter. So far I've decided to use it it with the 2" adapter. Since the Nagler 13T6 is now my only 1.25" barrel for FL above the Apollo, I've put it "permanently" in a Blue Fireball 2"-1.25" twist-lock adapter I had collecting dust.

I could use the EP yesterday in my scopes during daylight. I could see the light pincushion distortion using a roof as a target; not disturbing. It looks to me that the borders are better than in the 13T6, and there is a tad more contrast. Eye positioning was not that comfortable as reported before, but not a big deal either. I could also see the Moon and Venus way before dark. The Moon was still limited by seeing and daylight, so I cannot judge. I had the nicer view of Venus this year, but that means nothing. It was nice to point to the Moon as an official first astro-light :)

Take all what I said with a big grain of salt, all that was done in a hurry, inappropriate targets, and bad conditions. Looking forward to observing on Monday.

Santiago

#25 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:24 PM

My plan is to compare using this form and post later:

Any plans to check saturation? Which targets will you use? Being Saturn and Jupiter out, are we going to miss something in your review?

Santiago

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics