•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guide Scope/Guide Camera to use with Nexstar 8 SE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ring_Singularity

Ring_Singularity

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:44 AM

I was wondering if a guide scope or guide camera should be used with the Nexstar 8 SE.

I have a Celestron Travelscope 70/400 I can use as a guide scope...is that a good one to use?

I can use a Meade LPI as a guide camera...... is that good to use on this mount?  Longest exposures with it are 15 sec.

Or are the above just not necessary with this mount?  I plan to not do more than 1 min exposures using an Olympus E-PL6 (it weighs less than a pound) and just stack a bunch of exposures.

Edited by Ring_Singularity, 21 December 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:04 AM

Not into AP but the SE Mount does have an Auto Guider port available?

• Ring_Singularity likes this

#3 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:24 AM

Can you even due long exposure imaging with an alt-az mount such as the 8SE ?

• ShaulaB likes this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:11 AM

Can you even due long exposure imaging with an alt-az mount such as the 8SE ?

Maybe on a Wedge?

#5 Darren in Tacoma

Darren in Tacoma

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

You'll need an equatorial mount for deep space imaging. Your setup can get you some acceptable images of the planets and Moon. No guiding necessary.

• ShaulaB and Ring_Singularity like this

#6 deansjc

deansjc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:35 AM

I've thought about guiding my 8SE also.  (I'm an avid 8SE user and have use it for AP with moderate success in Alt-Az mode.)  I encourage you to read but  not be overly swayed by nay-sayers on what you are trying to accomplish.  

The trick there is to be realistic on exposure times (they have to be short and image stacking will be your friend).  There are some very good results in other threads that you should search for, including this one: https://www.cloudyni...n/#entry3315231

I'm interested in what others say about guiding in alt-az though.  Because you can only do short  exposures before the mount responds to a move command, probably in both axes, I don't think guiding buys you anything.  It does not replace the mount's guiding, so at best it would only incrementally add precision to your guiding within the very short exposures.

You will have greater success, even with short exposure if you are on a wedge.  I believe guiding will then provide what you are looking for.  Again, search out threads on AP on  equatorial wedge for many contributions already made.

Please keep us posted.

#7 Ring_Singularity

Ring_Singularity

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:35 AM

I've thought about guiding my 8SE also.  (I'm an avid 8SE user and have use it for AP with moderate success in Alt-Az mode.)  I encourage you to read but  not be overly swayed by nay-sayers on what you are trying to accomplish.  

The trick there is to be realistic on exposure times (they have to be short and image stacking will be your friend).  There are some very good results in other threads that you should search for, including this one: https://www.cloudyni...n/#entry3315231

I'm interested in what others say about guiding in alt-az though.  Because you can only do short  exposures before the mount responds to a move command, probably in both axes, I don't think guiding buys you anything.  It does not replace the mount's guiding, so at best it would only incrementally add precision to your guiding within the very short exposures.

You will have greater success, even with short exposure if you are on a wedge.  I believe guiding will then provide what you are looking for.  Again, search out threads on AP on  equatorial wedge for many contributions already made.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks, reading some AP threads in here it looks like the maximum exposure you can do on this mount is around 60 seconds, which is fine by me..... I can stack multiple images of that exposure in DSS.  I guess no guiding is necessary with exposures of that length, plus I dont want to put any additional stress on the mount with a guide scope on it.

edit- Just saw the link.  Wow, looks like going for even shorter exposures of 10-15 sec each and stacking even more frames makes the final result even better!  This is definitely encouraging!

Edited by Ring_Singularity, 22 December 2019 - 02:37 AM.

#8 Ring_Singularity

Ring_Singularity

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:41 AM

Not into AP but the SE Mount does have an Auto Guider port available?

I think so, it's in my closet until the weather gets better, but I did see there were two ports on it.

#9 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

I don't really have an opinion about that specific guidescope and camera combination, but auto-guiding does only work when EQ mounted (on a wedge for scopes like the 8SE).  This post explains why:

https://www.cloudyni...ount/?p=9525011

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics