•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX90 10" ACF - GoTo issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Berserker

Berserker

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

So I picked up the used telescope yesterday (from the original buyer), having issues with getting it aligned.  Every time I restart it, it requires an alignment, location information, the time defaults to 8:00 p.m. (which leads me to believe it is not storing any location data) and the tracking is off in where it believes objects are in the night sky.

The seller said he thought he purchased it in 2014, so in the research that I have done denotes that it likely did not come with an LNT, but it does have a mount for one on the left side of the scope (an LNT did not come with the scope).  I have tried to determine the exact age of the scope, but Meade and their serial numbers are not very useful.  The only other useful information I have regarding the age is the tube assembly is textured, not smooth like the older Meade scope I am upgrading from.

The GPS on the Audiostar controller comes up, says it is fixing to its location, but I have let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and it never moves past message.

Any help or guidance would appreciated.  Thanks,

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:33 AM

Generally do not keep the date and time, you have to supply that. However GPS should supply.

Location in terms of Lat+Long and a 3 character name they do keep, I expect, however with GPS unsure.

GPS will mean it needs a firmware update to get over the GPS Rollover issue. Or you disable the GPS in the menu and supply your own  - that may be why it does not save location as it is expecting the GPS to supply it so why save a location as every time it is powered up it is expecting to be supplied an up to date location. Having GPS set to On (or whatever) in the menu may cause no location to be saved.

Unsure about the message, cannot recall seeing it on the ones here. They just get the GPS data, cannot recall anything at that stage, never really looked either. Again may be a consequence of the rollover.

I suspect that the GPS is the cause of no location and the Date and Time, simply that should supply both to the firmware. I would also expect that the firmware needs updating for the GPS rollover some 8 months back.

So my guess is that you will have to try disabling GPS and entering your own Location Data and then Date and Time.

Then if things begin to come together you need to perform a firmware update for the rollover in order for the GPS and firmware to work sensibly with each other.

Then you go back in and enable the GPS.

At this time the GPS should "work", just it will be supplying stupid dates, maybe stupid location also, so going to anything is meaningless and maybe hazardous.

#3 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:15 AM

So I picked up the used telescope yesterday (from the original buyer), having issues with getting it aligned.  Every time I restart it, it requires an alignment, location information, the time defaults to 8:00 p.m. (which leads me to believe it is not storing any location data) and the tracking is off in where it believes objects are in the night sky.

The seller said he thought he purchased it in 2014, so in the research that I have done denotes that it likely did not come with an LNT, but it does have a mount for one on the left side of the scope (an LNT did not come with the scope).  I have tried to determine the exact age of the scope, but Meade and their serial numbers are not very useful.  The only other useful information I have regarding the age is the tube assembly is textured, not smooth like the older Meade scope I am upgrading from.

The GPS on the Audiostar controller comes up, says it is fixing to its location, but I have let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and it never moves past message.

Any help or guidance would appreciated.  Thanks,

It sounds like a fairly new LX90 with a Audiostar controller and yes it will not have a LNT because Meade stopped making them, you can do a better setup without them. Yes you have to do a alignment every time you switch it on. It only gets the time and location from the GPS module after that you must do a two star alignment. There have been some problems with GPS modules and firmware and these have been corrected with the A4S4 firmware thats available. But in your case it seems to have a problem getting a GPS signal, this may happen indoors, have you tried it outside? I have seen that with other GPS devices that it takes long to get a lock if the device has not been used for a few years, it must first download new satellite data. Normally it takes less than a minute.   

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 28 December 2019 - 12:18 AM.

#4 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Ranger 4

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:15 AM

PS : I changed my LX90ACF's GPS setting to "At startup " and it takes a while to get a fix that's why I set it on "when needed", this way the GPS starts to find satellites the moment it is switched on and by the time you have decided  to do a alignment and have picked the type of alignment it gets a fix within seconds. The good news is that your controller detects the GPS module so you don't have a cable or plug problem like have had in the past. 

#5 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

You must have a problem with the GPS module because when I had an LX90 it would acquire GPS in about half a minute.  The fastest of any system I've ever owned.  Also, it's supposed to remember the time and date, unlike Celestron units.  I don' know about Meade, but many systems have a battery in the handset to keep the time and date.  You might take the back off and see if yours has one and if so it likely needs to be replaced.

#6 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Ranger 4

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

You must have a problem with the GPS module because when I had an LX90 it would acquire GPS in about half a minute.  The fastest of any system I've ever owned.  Also, it's supposed to remember the time and date, unlike Celestron units.  I don' know about Meade, but many systems have a battery in the handset to keep the time and date.  You might take the back off and see if yours has one and if so it likely needs to be replaced.

The Autostar/Audiostar keeps the last date when it was used and the clock defaults to 20H00 but none of the Autostars or Audiostars used with the LX90 ever had a internal battery. 

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 06 January 2020 - 10:22 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics