•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AP third production run of the 92mm F6.65 Stowaways

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#51 paulh83

paulh83

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

I got the notification from AP today. I received the confirmation email from them on April 18, 2018 at 9:31 AM PDT. 

Not sure I want to pull the trigger. I would sell my TV-76 since I have no desire for two lightweight refractors. If I want more aperture than the 76, I go with the 140.  

#52 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Just got notified! Confirmed April 18th 7:18 am cst.

Whoot!

Time to sell a kid...
  • k5apl, agavephoto, niteskystargazer and 4 others like this

#53 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

Me too.

• k5apl and kkt like this

#54 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

Just got my notification this morning January 10th. My notification reply was received on 4-18-18 at 10:33 am edt, for those who wish to know how the list is progressing.

• Doug D. likes this

#55 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:45 AM

For those of you trying to decide whether to purchase or not from someone who has turned down an AP offer...if any part of you wants to try it, do it! Figure out the logistics and practicality later, you can always sell it and get your money back. I turned down an AP and regretted doing so...you may also...

Edited by t.r., 10 January 2020 - 01:29 PM.

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman and plyscope like this

#56 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

If I'm not mistaken, I think the list opened on 4/17 around 4pm? Not sure what time zone that would be, but from a very general perspective, I think that about 100 people must have signed up from around 4PM to Midnight (4/17). Looks like an additional 100 people must have signed up between Midnight at perhaps Noon on the 18th (depending on where this latest run ends up). I think so far we see around 10:30 being the latest notification here. Of course, this does not account for the folks who signed up and were notified but passed. I imagine that the folks being notified right now are those who benefited from folks passing up there opportunities. Also, I imagine some folks were on both the original list and the new list who would have been duplicates. I believe the original list just about was satisfied by the first run of 100.

I guess I have too much time on my hands thinking about this - lol!

#57 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

Steve, I think there were more than that since the list is now approaching/exceeding 300 since the list opened on 4/17 around 4 pm CDT.  I also got notified yesterday and I got on the list at 7:28am on 4/18.  Plan to buy it!  Never have seen an AP scope in person so want to get it while I can.

Bill

• Paul G and jeremiah2229 like this

#58 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

Plan to buy it!  Never have seen an AP scope in person so want to get it while I can.

Bill

You will not be disappointed.

• Paul G, k5apl, Bill Barlow and 1 other like this

#59 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

How many scopes are in a production run?

#60 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

How many scopes are in a production run?

You'll never know the exact number, but you can plan on 100 to 150.

#61 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

The last one was well over 100 toward 150

#62 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

Congrats Bill! You will love the scope - glad you will have a chance to own and view through an AP scope!

#63 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:12 AM

I received the notification and turned them down.
  • Markab likes this

#64 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

I received the notification and turned them down.

Your reason? (I would have passed as well)

#65 Markab

Markab

Viking 1

• Loc: Space Coast USA

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:03 AM

I just received notification as well and am using the weekend to come to a final decision. I already own a Traveler, which is a superior scope in almost every respect, but of course there is always the intrigue of buying a brand-new AP scope. That said, I'm leaning towards declining and letting someone else have the opportunity to enjoy an AP. I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up 13mm of aperture (which is very significant in smaller scopes such as these), and after owning several 130mm AP's over the years, the Traveler is the one that I keep coming back to due to the excellent balance of portability, performance, light weight, and amazing aesthetics. 

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman, Scott in NC and 1 other like this

#66 kkt

kkt

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

I just received notification as well and am using the weekend to come to a final decision. I already own a Traveler, which is a superior scope in almost every respect, but of course there is always the intrigue of buying a brand-new AP scope. That said, I'm leaning towards declining and letting someone else have the opportunity to enjoy an AP. I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up 13mm of aperture (which is very significant in smaller scopes such as these), and after owning several 130mm AP's over the years, the Traveler is the one that I keep coming back to due to the excellent balance of portability, performance, light weight, and amazing aesthetics. 

What was your list signup time?

#67 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

I went with a Traveler in lieu of a new Stowaway, and have absolutely no regrets.  Would I have enjoyed the Stowaway? Sure.  But I can't imagine trading a Traveler for one.  Conversely, if I already had a Stowaway, I probably wouldn't have wanted to trade it for a Traveler.  Maybe...I guess... scratchhead2.gif  But regardless, I don't think you'll regret just staying put with what you have.  You're definitely not "settling."

• Paul G likes this

#68 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

I got on the list 18-April-2018 and got the notification a couple days ago, 10-Jan.

I'm at a quandary.  I understand the "AP owning experience" but I already have that - I got a new 130GTX a couple years ago after 7 or 8 years on the waiting list.

I do see the value of a 3.2 kg scope, because the 130 is just so large that bringing it out requires bringing out the Mach1 which then becomes an onerous chore for apartment-dwelling me. I think the Stowaway can be carried by my Space Boy (which is rated for 6 kg / 13lb payload).

But as I mentioned in my other post, I do have an 80mm Lomo (0.97 Strehl) which is 2.7 kg.

Decisions, decisions..

• Paul G, SandyHouTex and kkt like this

#69 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:21 AM

I’m using my Stowaway on a Porta ii satisfactorily so I would think the SpaceBoy would be perfect for it.

#70 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

I own a Traveler and the new Stowaway and although I haven't compared the scope optically, I prefer the Stowaway. The Traveler with all required mounting hardware, Maxbrite diagonal, and Starbeam finder weighs 15.2lbs. The Stowaway with the same mentioned accessories weighs 11.2lbs. The  4lb  heavier Traveler requires a sturdier mount (while the Stowaway shares the same mount as my TV-85) so the Stowaway is the sweet spot for my needs. If you have the finances order the Stowaway and give a try, it's an amazing little scope.  

Edited by Jeff Gardner, 12 January 2020 - 01:55 PM.

• Paul G and Moondust like this

#71 bigjy989

bigjy989

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saline, MI

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:44 PM

The stowaway is super portable (just using a video tripod) and cools satisfactorily in about 15 minutes.   FOV is wide enough not to need a finder (just sight down the rings).   24 Panoptic and 7XW are my most used eyepieces with the stowaway.   I’ve used it about twice per week for quick views from the deck over the last 3 months.

• eros312 and R_Huntzberry like this

#72 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

Way too expensive for me at this time when two kids are getting closer to college... and maybe even more importantly, I haven’t yet fully grasped all the opportunities that my SW 120 ED offers, bought in April last year, considering that I still haven’t purchased a better mount and better astro imaging equipment (still using Canon Rebel T3i)... needless to say, I’ll be selling soon most of my achromats, if not all, before I spend any money on new equipment. No new scope for me anytime soon but when times comes AP will be on my very short list of one. ;)

#73 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

Sent the email this morning declining the new Stowaway.  I just couldn't justify $4000, including the Baader finder, for a scope that has 10mm less aperture than my TSA-102.  Not to mention that my TSA-102 is mechanically and optically perfect.

• belgrade, m9x18, Heywood and 4 others like this

#74 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Just confirmed mine. March or April delivery.

• Paul G, R Botero, eros312 and 2 others like this

#75 DaveHume

DaveHume

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia, US

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

Got on the list April 18th @ 5:27pm ET.  I was notified January 11th @ 11:45am ET.  After careful negotiations with my wife, I notified AP that I will be purchased the Stowaway.  I have a WO 132 so this will be a nice fit for me. 

Been on one AP list or another for nearly 20 years (2001 155mm and 10" Mak) and this is the first notification I have received so I'm not passing it up.  I also got the TCC as well since I mostly do astrophotography. Expecting delivery late March early April.

• R Botero and kkt like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics