•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AP third production run of the 92mm F6.65 Stowaways

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#126 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 07:57 PM

The Traveler was listed at 9 lbs. by AP when I purchased it from Company Seven in 1995, but I suspect that it gained weight--maybe a pound or two?--when I switched out the original focuser after the Feathertouch became available.   Even if it's just a pound, that makes it almost 50% heavier than the new Stowaway.  If two pounds, well, you can do the math.  In any case, I know which scope I prefer to travel with when I know I'll be lugging it for any distance.  The only reason I own both is that I spend a lot of time in two places very, very far away from another, and having a scope in each location makes life a bit easier.

#127 MSWcdavis

MSWcdavis

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 PM

This is awesome how many of these new stowaways are out there and with more to come!!

#128 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted Yesterday, 08:20 PM

The Traveler was listed at 9 lbs. by AP when I purchased it from Company Seven in 1995, but I suspect that it gained weight--maybe a pound or two?--when I switched out the original focuser after the Feathertouch became available.   Even if it's just a pound, that makes it almost 50% heavier than the new Stowaway.  If two pounds, well, you can do the math.  In any case, I know which scope I prefer to travel with when I know I'll be lugging it for any distance.  The only reason I own both is that I spend a lot of time in two places very, very far away from another, and having a scope in each location makes life a bit easier.

I agree about the noticeable difference in Traveler weight with the new focuser.  I see frequent reference to the Traveler being lightweight and portable.  Portable - most definitely - lightweight, not so much.  I'm not complaining though.

My Traveler also came from Company 7 in 1995 with an elegant shiny-black paint job!  

#129 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted Yesterday, 08:50 PM

Just popped them on the bathroom scale, all three have the Feathertouch dual speed pinion, objective cover, rings and small AP dovetail plate. The original f6.6 Stowaway is 7.2 lbs, new Stowaway is 8.8 lbs, and the Traveler (late version, pebble paint) is 12.4 lbs. So the Traveler is 50% heavier than the new Stowaway, that's significant.

• peleuba, Moondust and Paul Morow like this

#130 chemisted

chemisted

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 PM

I just popped my Takahashi Sky 90 with Extender Q and Baader BBHS T-2 diagonal onto the bathroom scale and it comes in at 6.5 lbs.  It fits into an old work briefcase and gives a perfect star test.  I sold my late model Traveler years ago because it never got used.  It was just too heavy.

Edited by chemisted, Yesterday, 09:45 PM.

#131 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 PM

I agree about the noticeable difference in Traveler weight with the new focuser.  I see frequent reference to the Traveler being lightweight and portable.  Portable - most definitely - lightweight, not so much.  I'm not complaining though.

My Traveler also came from Company 7 in 1995 with an elegant shiny-black paint job!  

The '95 Traveler was a fine vintage--yes, shiny black, aged in oak barrels by Company Seven. lol.gif    Works as well today as it did, gulp, 25 years ago.

• Doug D. and coz like this

#132 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Just popped them on the bathroom scale, all three have the Feathertouch dual speed pinion, objective cover, rings and small AP dovetail plate. The original f6.6 Stowaway is 7.2 lbs, new Stowaway is 8.8 lbs, and the Traveler (late version, pebble paint) is 12.4 lbs. So the Traveler is 50% heavier than the new Stowaway, that's significant.

Interesting.  Never weighed them, but that tallies with my sense of the difference.  Thanks for the research!

#133 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 PM

A-P is now into April 19th for the Stowaway list - got my notification late today. I got on list just after midnight CST on the 19th.

Oh that's promising. Mine was issued for mid-day on the 19th.

#134 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted Today, 07:02 AM

I received my notification email around 7pm EST last night. I got on the list at around 20h30 Eastern on the 18th of April..

Of course, over the past 21 months, life has happened and I'm not sure I even want another refractor... I certainly don't need one.

I need to mull this over.

#135 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Today, 09:31 AM

I used a beam style baby scale to weigh my Stowaway and Traveler. I included all the mounting items, AP Maxbrite diagonal, TV Starbeam, ready for use.

Stowaway 11.2 lbs

Traveler    15.2 lbs

The Traveler's extra 4 lbs is significant when it comes down to mounting or carrying the scope while traveling.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stow50.jpg

#136 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted Today, 10:18 AM

When AP says the new Stowaway weighs 7.1 pounds, I guess that is the bare tube?  

Bill

#137 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted Today, 11:33 AM

Having traveled by air with both a Traveler and a Stowaway, I'd say that the former is not quite as portable if weight is a consideration.  While the Traveler isn't heavy, the extra pounds are noticeable after a long walk through an airport.   Maybe I need to eat more spinach? grin.gif

To an earlier point in this thread, yes, Roland has indeed recommended other manufacturers, so that those who've voluntarily placed themselves on an AP wait list don't have to wait to enjoy high quality instruments.   Advocating for his competitors--that says a lot about his business model.  I myself was on a list for a 130 years ago but bought a TEC 140, in part because Roland so strongly supported Yuri's work.  When I was eventually offered an opportunity to purchase the 130, I turned AP down.

Well, that also says a lot about Roland as a person too.  

I'm really glad they are having a good bunch of runs and high demand for the Stowaways.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics