Update: The Restoration begins....
Today Jerry Oltion and I did some work on the old beast, merely for the sake of getting it up and running again. There was a rattle in the focuser end, and so we had to take the focuser out. We did this without realizing that the middle of the "focuser" unscrews, so we took the whole end of the scope off and realized that we wouldn't be able to get the nuts back on the screws. But aha! once we had the focuser off, we could see how the central part (the focuser itself) unscrewed from it, and it was a simple matter to get the screws and nuts back together. The rattling sound was one of the nuts, which had come off and was rolling around the inside of the tube (it was prevented from going down the tube toward the objective by the internal counterweight).
It took a bit of effort to unscrew the dew shield; we were afraid we would have to remove the whole objective end of the scope as well, and had no idea how to put the nuts on the screws at that end. Fortunately, the dew shield eventually worked loose and we could carefully remove it.
The objective was quite a mess: lots of dust and a slight haze on the inside, either on the inner lens or the back of the outer one. The front of the objective was obviously wiped with a handkerchief or something similar, leaving a number of sleeks on the lens. We couldn't figure out how to remove the lens cell from the tube, so we only cleaned the outer surface. The three small screws holding the cell together were extremely tight and we couldn't budge them without fear of damaging them, so we left them alone. This doesn't solve the cleaning of the optics, though. (And would ROR be safe, or should I stick to distilled water?)
We know about marking the edges of the lenses so they match up and they go in the scope in the proper orientation, and about keeping the thin spacers intact. But we're not sure how to release the screws without forcing them, and I suspect that dabbing a tiny drop of WD-40 on each of them (with, say, a toothpick) would be a bad idea, even from the side of the cell. (This thread--- https://www.cloudyni...nd-restoration/ ---was a huge help in getting as far as we did; thanks to all who took part in that discussion.)
I'd like for the scope to perform to its best, so I'm going to look into getting a strap wrench to release the cell.
There's a lot of cosmetic damage to the tube: scratches through the paint, and a few scratches through the shinier brass plate. I've considered stripping the paint, as I doubt painting the scratches will improve the scope that much cosmetically. A lacquered brass tube would look nicer, I think, although I'd probably take the tube to a shop to have it done rather than do it at home with all the dust and dog hair. The focuser and black trim would stay the same, although it'd be nice to anodize the brass ring at the end of the dew shield (perhaps a rose gold color for accent).
The 1.25" tube that goes on the Unihex is missing. I found a short 1.25" tube near the Unihex, but it doesn't fit; its OD is a very slight bit too large (even though the threading matches). But we've rigged a tube for straight-through viewing, using a couple of parts we found with the scope, so it'll be usable. So far, the view is decent, even with the lenses uncleaned.