•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parfocal lunar photography

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Here is a one shot, unstacked photograph of Mare Nectaris using a TeleVue 19 mm Panoptic lens, an Orion moon filter, a Celestron cell phone bracket for an iPhone 6, on my Questar 3.5. Photoshopped for contrast and sharpness, and cropped. I still need to flip the original photo. The Rosse Crater (12 km) shows up nicely in the Mare because of its excellent contrasting albedo, and Theophilus Crater’s central peak as well..

After years of visual astronomy, this is my first “little steps” venture into astrophotography from Early November of this year. Thanks to members of this Forum whose articles, posts and comments were very helpful. Any thoughts, criticisms and further encouragement will be welcome. But I would be especially interested in similar photographs and more wisdom from Forum members!!!.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9ED6577A-8AE6-41A4-A493-537614700ED5.jpeg

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, pao and 2 others like this

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

Excellent start waytogo.gif

With time your skills will improve and moments of great seeing will do the rest. But foremost, enjoy the proces smile.gif

#3 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 24 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

Great images, and I continue to be impressed with what can be done at the eyepiece. I'm still not very good at it, but one thing I have become more enamored with is the use of the internal editing filters available on the iPhone. I only recently started playing with filters to see what could be done to enhance images; below are an example of an original and edited version of the same lunar landscape, this one taken this past November.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• moon orig.jpg
  • moon edited.jpg

• Paul Schroeder, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#4 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 24 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

...and two more...

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• crescent one.jpg
  • crescent two.jpg

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, pao and 1 other like this

#5 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

Those are terrific shots.

Other than the lousy Southern California weather, one of the problems I have encountered is, of course, the limited megapixel sensor in the iPhone vs. a DLSR. Enlargement quickly becomes fuzzy. So the next step is attachment of my Canon with 24.2 mp to the telescope. Another step in the learning process. 

Any thoughts on that would be helpful.
The second problem is making certain that iPhone bracket aligns the phone exactly 90 degrees to the eyepiece. I like the Celestron bracket that moves in 3 planes, but I had to tighten the bracket screws so that the play between the phone and the eyepiece would align. Also, I placed the phone so that gravity would help with the alignment. Trial and error.

Attached Thumbnails

• 11586FFD-D66F-402C-AC69-3164F2FF8C34.jpeg

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert and pao like this

#6 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

Another on the Q3.5C142B132-1F7D-44D7-B344-D8D8C6D8D1C3.jpeg

• pao likes this

#7 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

E58C9A27-EBD7-4609-BE12-FA0E2528A801.jpeg

Weather has improved, atmospheric turbulence has waned. Questar 3.5, 19 mm TeleVue panoptic:

• davidmcgo, cbwerner, NC Startrekker and 1 other like this

#8 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

Excellent photos!  Thanks very much for sharing them with us.

BTW, I believe that you mean "afocal", that is the camera is taking an image of what the eyepiece is showing, right?

smp

• DRohrman likes this

#9 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

Stephen

• Thank you for straightening me out. My ignorance of basic optics shows...afocal is what I have been doing: The camera, in this case an iPhone 6, is indeed taking a photo of what the lens, a TeleVue lens is showing through the Q 3.5.

Doug

• spereira likes this

#10 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

Doug, your AP skills with the little Q are coming along quite nicely. Thanks for sharing your work.  

• DRohrman likes this

#11 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

Skies in Southern California cleared in the evening, so here is another afocal shot from last night using the Q, a TeleVue 19mm eyepiece and the Celestron iPhone 6 adapter. Photoshopped to eliminate glare.

The adapter can be fussy, so pre-mounting the eyepiece to the adapter and the phone as suggested by several people of Cloudy Nights, really helps.
Thanks to all who have helped and encouraged me on this fun learning experience and journey.

Eyepiece projection may be my next baby step.A513B263-E5F6-4B74-AAB0-7436514B854D.jpeg

• pao likes this

#12 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

Superb!  I love it.  Keep them coming!

smp

• DRohrman likes this

#13 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:13 AM

Another afocal single shot with Q with a TeleVue 19 mm lens and an iPhone, processed with PicLab.

#14 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:17 AM

Woops see narrative above....

CEEE0A3E-B93C-4207-999F-F43383E9351E.jpeg

#15 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:00 AM

Gorgeous!

I'll keep loving them as long as you keep posting them!  :lol:

smp

• DRohrman likes this

#16 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

Nice shots. I think you could try removing the moon filter from the image train, as the camera should be able to compensate. It's not involved in helping to form the image so the less glass, the better.

• DRohrman likes this

#17 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Here are two photos of a nearly full Moon that I took this past October and November. Camera was an older Canon PowerShot S110 pointed by hand into the 40-80x eyepiece of my '62 Questar. I used Paint.NET's sharpen feature to draw out detail while still retaining that warm tone that the Moon has in the eyepiece.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191012.jpg
  • 20191110.jpg

• Steve C. and DRohrman like this

#18 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

Munirocks

Thanks...very much appreciate your thoughts. 

Also, I may have, in seeking better “resolution”, over-processed the image.

Also, you are 100% correct on the use of a DLSR w the Q and the moon filter= simply too much glass that really dulls (and darkens) the image.
———-

I am at the juncture where I need advice.

———-

Do you (or others) have any advice regarding the use of the Q with a Canon EOS DLSR with 1. the proper adapters and 2. With the proper adapters and a Brandon lens in the optical train?

I am getting better resolution with the TeleVue 19 mm panoptic lens and an iPhone than I have with the DLSR. But....the resolution is limited and fuzzy on cropping.

Is the 3.5” of aperture just not enough? Visually, the TeleVue through the Q is tack sharp.

So far, with regard to lunar photography, the use of the Q and a Canon with 24.2 MPs are wasted, with smudged and dull shots that do not crop well at all (I am too much a novice to have learned stacking). Versus the iPhone with 9 MP that creates decent single shots after some processing. 

I am working on proper focusing through live view of the Canon.

Also, I am experimenting with higher ISO (and concomitant less noise) and faster shutter speed (with perhaps more noise). Is there a happy medium when using a DLSR (the wisdom for a full moon is ISO 100 or 200 and 1/4 or 1/10 second)?

Also, working on maximizing the number of pixels per frame so cropping will be more fruitful. 
Should I be using RAW, or RAW L Fine?

I haven’t yet used a Barlow in the optic train other that the Q’s built in Barlow (which of course darkens the image, but does help in getting better resolution).

Finally, I will explore turning video into some good frames. (Is there an easy way to “combine” such videos without having polar alignment and/or guiding or stacking?)

Obviously, I need lots of help. I realize I may simply be stretching the optics. Any ideas or references from you or others in the Q forum would be helpful.

Thanks!

Doug

#19 emh52

emh52

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:39 PM

Refining photo technique now is a great idea- on February 18 there will be an occultation of Mars by the Moon that can observed over much of the US. The Q will make a great instrument to record this rare event (clouds permitting)  video or stills will work, but for this because the Moon is moving rapidly toward Mars and away from it after any imaging that takes more than maybe a second or two will blur Mars, so one or very few rapidly acquired images as stills will be best. I can get 6 or more fps and will go with that. Mars will be a tiny disk but it will be a disk rather than a point and it will be red- should make a nice photo.

An example Moon through the Q  axial port- 

https://flic.kr/p/RL9fqP

Attached Thumbnails

• CN moon .jpg

• DRohrman likes this

#20 DRohrman

DRohrman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

Emh52...wonderful shots. Aspirational for me. Full moon is a real challenge in a one shot format through the Q. As pointed out on this forum (thanks, Munirocks), balancing a moon filter at 5-10% cuts down in detail and resolution. But in the end, stacking is the answer.....(just like the 5 year old and the deep end of the pool, I haven’t yet pulled the trigger.)

Attached Thumbnails

• A4E44AC7-1F87-4999-A4D3-3BF0C3B86A19.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics