•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

STF 412: A Christmas Double

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rugby

rugby

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

I will be observing Christmas eve if the skies are clear. It is dark by seven so even after a couple of hours at the eyepiece there is still time to relax with family. A project that interests me right now is discovering the pairs that lie within or around the Pleiades.  I hope to have a report for them soon but first wanted to draw your attention to 7 Tauri just west of the Seven Sisters. I usually end my observing sessions with this pair because my eye is more accustomed to tiny separations by then. Indeed it is a close pair: mags 6.6 and 6.8, 0"8 apart in PA 350. 

In a 120mm refractor I can see an elongated bar. When seeing gets good there is a small notch at 360x. Usually I can detect an "out of round" shape with much less magnification. I also used an 8-inch GSO cassegrain but results were similar.. I had placed the Cassegrain on an AZ8 (a wonderfu altaz mount) but the tripod that comes with the system allows too much vibration when focusing at very high magnification. I will  try a different tripod next time.

• Daniel Mounsey and flt158 like this

#2 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:57 AM

I too have always found multiples around this area to be a fascinating adventure. Glad to see your enthusiasm shine and look forward to hearing your observations. I'll try to get out too. Weather has been bad lately though. Thanks for sharing and have a good holiday. smile.gif waytogo.gif

#3 c2m2t

c2m2t

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

Good Morning All!

This post reminded me that I had marked up an image of M45, Pleiades/Seven Sisters, some time ago highlighting some of the double star systems that ly within this wonderful open cluster. Noting some spelling errors, I went in search of a more recent, 2019, image that I had taken. Fortunately, the newer image was a better (deeper) image so I went about marking up the newer image. When I had done this a few years ago, Stelle Doppie did not have the feature that now highlights all the catalogued doubles in the vicinity of a selected double. WOW...many more systems than I had been originally aware of. But what the heck...I can share this with other groups. 

So before anyone gets too critical on the format, the intent is to highlight the systems only. As you can see, there are far too many systems to start logging magnitudes, separations and PA's. You will simply have to do a check in Stelle Doppie to get the particulars. Keep in mind, the USNO (source of the WDS) website is down for a re-building and is only expected to re-open in late April/early May 2020...and...Stelle Doppie was conceived to make accessing the WDS data much more efficient so its data, except for the occasional glitch, is what you will find in the WDS and several other resources.

Also of note...all systems are worth having a look at but what I have marked with an asterix is indicative of systems for which all or some components can be resolved in typical backyard scopes. The "COU and BU" systems are at the high end of the challenge scale. I would suggest that you investigate SD first to get a better understanding of the component positioning, make some notes and then head out for some observing. Also keep in mind this a "naked eye" image so you may need to flip/rotate to mimic the view in your eyepiece.

Goodluck! Enjoy!

Cheers, Chris.

P.S. I am not sure how well one can download this image. If anyone would like the full resolution image, let me know and I can forward it to you.

M 45-2768-Notes-SM.JPG

• dmdouglass, eros312, flt158 and 3 others like this

#4 rugby

rugby

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:56 AM

Thank you c2m2t, i would like a copy

#5 c2m2t

c2m2t

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hi Rugby!

Sure thing! Check my profile for my email address and send me a note. 

Cheers, Chris.

#6 Avery155

Avery155

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

My wife loves to observe double stars would I also be able to get a higher res copy for her please.

#7 c2m2t

c2m2t

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

Hi Avery!

Check my profile for a contact email and send me a short note. 

I will attach a suitable file for your use.

Cheers, Chris.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics