•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar RA problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pao

pao

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

Hi all!

I have a question.

I recently tried for a possible purchase a used (a very little used in truth) 2011 3.5" Questar in extraordinary good cosmetical and optical conditions (wonderful star test) but with a problem: a RA knob very tight and stiff. The Dec knob is perfect and smooth, but the RA knob can be turned only applying a hard power with fingers. Usable, but very uncomfort. Also turning the scope pushing the fork arms is very difficult, a hard manual power must be applied to turn, as for the knob. I didnt have the possibility to try the poweguide but the seller told me that it is functioning.

Which is the problem in your opinion? Is this problem solvable without send the scope back to Questar for service (I'm from overseas, no Questar dealers here)? Better to pass? (the price offer is howewer very very good!!).

Thank you very much

pao

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

Hmmmm. I would buy it, if the price is really good. It may still end up being an OK deal, even if you have to send it to Questar for a repair. 

I think it's just the grease that has hardened somewhat, probably due to the scope being exposed to high temperatures, like in a car on a sunny day. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• pao likes this

#3 pao

pao

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:51 PM

Hmmmm. I would buy it, if the price is really good. It may still end up being an OK deal, even if you have to send it to Questar for a repair. 

I think it's just the grease that has hardened somewhat, probably due to the scope being exposed to high temperatures, like in a car on a sunny day. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thanks Thomas for your opinion.

The seller (with good reputation) told me that he used the scope only in very very few occasions and was always stored indoor and in its case.

Well, I also think that can be a grease problem but I'm not expert of these kind of issues in catadioptrics.

The price is really attractive but I think that shipping the scope to Questar in US will be really too expensive.

Thank you very much 

pao

#4 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

Buy it.  That should be a simple problem that you can live with as it likely smooths out, and repair yourself with help from this community.

Videos 7, 11, and 12 on my QuestarZone youtube channel would be what you need.

• rcwolpert and pao like this

#5 pao

pao

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

Buy it.  That should be a simple problem that you can live with as it likely smooths out, and repair yourself with help from this community.

Videos 7, 11, and 12 on my QuestarZone youtube channel would be what you need.

Thank you very much! I'm very tempted... And your opinion Ben is highly reassuring!

pao

#6 Simoes Pedro

Simoes Pedro

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

I have exactly the same problem with a brand new Questar. Reply from Company 7 was that it was perfect.

#7 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Vostok 1

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

I had this same problem with a 1969 Questar that I bought last year. It was overdue to be sent back to Questar anyway, so I sent it back for refurbishing. Questar recommends doing this every 15 years. I'm pleased with the results and I'm really enjoying the telescope. I would say if you're buying a used Questar that hasn't been back to the mother ship in the past 10 years you should just factor that into the equation of how much you're willing to pay for it. 

• Mike Allen and pao like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics