•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar in Guam for Annular Eclipse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emh52

emh52

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:36 PM

Just back from Guam for the annular eclipse which was a weather iffy choice but it worked out well with clearing skies the day before that persisted through and beyond the eclipse. The Tumor bay location was very close to the center line with slightly more than 3 min maximum. This yielded nice symmetrical annular images. I am not sure I have ever been closer to the center line for any eclipse.  I observed from a high floor at the Hyatt Hotel which had a great view over Tumon bay. My Q configuration was my duplex with a piggyback mount to which I mount a televue solar finder and an axial Nikon D850. A drive isn't necessary with exposures in the thousandth of a second. The mount shown is a lightweight Gitzo traveller and a manfrotto gear head that makes tracking easy and solid. 

more photos to appear in this flickr file  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKg6xR8 at full resolution 

Attached Thumbnails

• NC1.jpg
  • CN2.jpg
  • CN3.jpg

• Paul Schroeder, Erik Bakker, R Botero and 8 others like this

#2 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

Very cool!

Thanks very much for sharing!

smp

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:36 AM

Wonderful waytogo.gif

#4 emh52

emh52

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

Thanks !  now home and dealing with the 17 h time change I worked on the eclipse progression- this is the first version. In Guam Sunset occurred before the end of the eclipse so the progression is not symmetrical. Because I was very close to the center line the ring of fire was symmetrical. That was in fact the draw of going to Guam it offered the opportunity of a center line position to get the ring of fire symmetrical photo that had previously eluded me.

full resolution: https://flic.kr/p/2i6XLig

Attached Thumbnails

• CN progrrssion.jpg

• cbwerner, Erik Bakker, astro140 and 7 others like this

#5 medpeds

medpeds

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:21 PM

Very impressive and thanks for posting the photos! I have yet to see an annular eclipse, and the first and last total eclipse I observed was the Great American Eclipse of 2017.  We were lucky to have totality nearby where we live in Tennessee. 

Now that I have my own Q, I need to start prepping for the 2024 total eclipse which will be observable from hometown of Buffalo, NY!

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:20 AM

Thanks !  now home and dealing with the 17 h time change I worked on the eclipse progression- this is the first version. In Guam Sunset occurred before the end of the eclipse so the progression is not symmetrical. Because I was very close to the center line the ring of fire was symmetrical. That was in fact the draw of going to Guam it offered the opportunity of a center line position to get the ring of fire symmetrical photo that had previously eluded me.

full resolution: https://flic.kr/p/2i6XLig

Wonderful photos of this solar eclipse and congrats on getting such a wonderful symmetrical shot of the ring too. Planning, weather, portability, fine optics and great skills all fell into place to create wonderful results waytogo.gif

#7 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:25 AM

... I worked on the eclipse progression- this is the first version. In Guam Sunset occurred before the end of the eclipse so the progression is not symmetrical. Because I was very close to the center line the ring of fire was symmetrical. That was in fact the draw of going to Guam it offered the opportunity of a center line position to get the ring of fire symmetrical photo that had previously eluded me. ...

Super job!  One of the best I've seen.

Thanks again for sharing.

smp

#8 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:49 AM

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

#9 emh52

emh52

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, I did try to plan game out what I could. One can plan for everything I think except the weather and today with all the datasets and computers an educated guess of prospects yields a range of possibilities. Guam exceeded on this, I assumed I might be shooting through clouds and I did not. Eclipse travel, and for some science, is an odd thing with a great history. Long travel and effort to be at the right place for at best a few minutes in the shadow is difficult to explain to some people. It has been that way now for hundreds of years since people learned to compute the path and to make the effort to be there. With airplanes rather than sailing ships and horses to get to the spot it is so much easier than it was for those scientists who started chasing eclipses in 1800s. For those people that long ago it really took planning and it must have been so crushing when the weather was not kind.

• Erik Bakker likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics