•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What would it take to create an EAA setup like the EvScope?

EAA
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:20 PM

I still have to learn how to do a proper polar alignment. I can get it in the area of Polaris, but there is some sort of process to get it 100% correct for the Polaris position.

This is another area where the StarSense really saves you a lot of time. It has a protocol called the All-Star Polar Alignment (ASPA) that allows you to do an accurate polar alignment without, once again, having to look through finder scope or eyepiece.

#27 tommyr

tommyr

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson Valley of N.Y.

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

Well.....it would not cost $3000.....I'm pretty sure of that. An 8" reflector with a sensitive CMOS camera would give a better result for a fraction of the cost. The advert & claims for the Evo is all hype and sadly will be sure to disappoint. 

The only thing Thunderf00t is right about is the cost. It would be a little cheaper. However all that better equipment has a fair learning curve and requires skill which must be learned over time. He fails to mention that though doesn't he? The eVscope's job is not to compete with better imaging systems. It's for ease of use in deep sky observing.

• OleCuss and RGreene like this

#28 tommyr

tommyr

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson Valley of N.Y.

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:05 AM

From post #3, "Duplicating the Stellina, eVscope, or Hiuni would be wildly expensive if you were to make just 1 copy." Surely, you jest (sorry about calling you Surely).

I'll duplicate an eVscope for you right now. You send me $3500 right now, and in June I might send you something. I rounded up because, why not, and I might send you something because Unistellar has pushed the date back so many times, and far enough, that I figure I have until at least 2022 to deliver. The bold type below is what Unistellar is currently stating on their website. (Here's what I get the biggest kick out of, "only 473 units remain for a June delivery." I pity the fool who doesn't buy in right now! If this is not a scam, then it is certainly marketed like one.)

https://shop.unistel...sappc-landing-2

Order your eVscope now and secure a delivery before summer 2020.

Only 473 units remain for a June delivery.

$2,999.00 USD
  (excl. $224.93 import tax & $59 shipping - incl price: $3,282.93)

What are the odds of these scopes shipping this summer, not very good, according their track record so far. You have a much better chance of receiving something of value from me. Or you should at least consider a Stellina for $4K, last time I checked, $4K for something that exists is a better deal than $3K+ for "vaporware." And you might even get an iPad thrown in with the Stellina.

https://optcorp.com/...ASABEgIC0PD_BwE

I don't think people have written negatively about the eVscope or Stellina, because it's a bad concept, but because of price, and because the eVscope doesn't exist, and hasn't to this date, in any reasonably purchasable form. These other lengthy threads can be reasonably summed up in about two sentences, actually only my opinion in some respects. The Stellina is definitely more interesting than the eVscope, why, because the Stellina is available for purchase. What happened to the eVscope, nothing. Oh wait, something has happened, the price of "nothing" has gone up.

https://www.cloudyni...an-the-evscope/

https://www.cloudyni...tellar-evscope/

There's nothing wrong with the concept, but there is something wrong with constantly promising something and not delivering. In those lengthy threads I haven't really seen anyone put down the idea of such a scope or what such a scope could be, but I have seen posters deride the eVscope, maybe too harshly, maybe not. 

Some of you don't seem to be able to separate fact from fantasy, and so far, the Unistellar scope is much closer to fantasy than fact. That's a fact.

(I hope both of these scopes work out, and so far, the Stellina is working out. And the price doesn't bother me in the least, it might be overpriced, but that is neither here nor there, the amounts some of us spend on astro-equipment could easily justify taking a chance on such a system. On the other hand, give me $3K now and I'll give you a scope in 6 months, no thanks. Stellina is a cool system, the eVscope remains to be seen, and I hope it is seen in decent numbers, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.)

You're wrong about them not being delivered.The scopes are being delivered. I received mine Christmas eve. Other have received theirs as well. Check Twitter for examples. Your facts are wrong.  The hate for this scope is ridiculous.

Tom

• RGreene likes this

#29 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

You're wrong about them not being delivered.The scopes are being delivered. I received mine Christmas eve. Other have received theirs as well. Check Twitter for examples. Your facts are wrong.  The hate for this scope is ridiculous.

Tom

You are one person, when eVscopes are delivered in large quantities I will show some respect. Some other people have received them, but not the vast majority who have paid for them, or so it seems. I certainly don't have "hate for this scope," and don't think others exactly have "hate for the scope." I hope everyone who has paid for the eVscope gets one, but it still seems closer to a scam than reality, to me. I was merely trying to point out that people who are comparing the Unistellar scope to the Stellina are being kind of unfair to the Stellina. I can buy a Stellina from OPT, and it will probably be delivered with a free iPad, in a week or so. I cannot buy an eVscope unless I want to wait about six months for delivery, and even that is certainly doubtful considering how many times they have pushed back the delivery date.

You are the one who imputes the hate, my post merely points out some of the problems with the Unistellar scope's alleged delivery time, and that I think it is unfair to compare it to other scopes that are easily acquired. Maybe you should read more carefully and reconsider your own defensiveness about a scope that is very hard to come-by. Just because you have one doesn't mean that about 2500 other people who paid for one have one, or will ever get one. Any dislike I have portrayed is not for the scope but for the possible scam. Are you sure you read my entire post and thought about it?

#30 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

Please consider a "cordwrap FREE" setup: https://www.cloudyni...ifi-connection/

Ready to go in less then 15 min.

• bdyer22 and jprideaux like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics