•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

T Tauri and NGC 1555

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brownrb1

brownrb1

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:48 PM

T Tauri A.png T Tauri_Burnham's Nebula_12_19_2019_40sx10 - Copy A _GIMP.jpg

Hi,

I was observing last week (12/19/2019) and got a image of one of my favorite stars, T Tauri, and the reflection nebula-NGC 1555 or Hind's Nebula-which is illuminated by T Tauri. Also there appears to be a faint nebulosity on the edge of T Tauri, which may be HH255, or Burnham's Nebula. Also attached is a spectral profile of T Tauri that I got 12/27/2016 with a 10" f/4.7 Newtonian, SA-100 grating, Atik Infinity, and RSpec. The visual image was obtained with a !0" f/10 Meade SCT, Meade f/6.3 focal reducer, and an Atik Infinity monochrome camera with 40s exposure, stacked 10 times and used GIMP to brighten the nebulosity.

T Tauri is low-mass, 0.53 solar mass, pre-main sequence object that is in transition between being a star shrouded in dust (an IR source), produced by a strong stellar wind, and a main sequence star. There are strong emission lines-the Balmer lines can be seen in my spectral profile-and also Ca ll and Fe emission lines and lithium absorption lines are present-but not resolved in my spectrum. I have a Alpy 600 that I hope to use soon to get a spectrum of T Tauri with better resolution. The energy source for T-Tauri stars is, initially, gravitational energy released as the star contracts and as central pressures increase "lithium burning" by the Proton-Proton (P-P) chain begins. I'm not sure where T Tauri is in that sequence of gravitational to thermonuclear energy production. Again, T Tauri stars are some of my favorites-as are those on the other extreme of the main sequence,Wolfe-Rayet stars. Also I plan on examining Be stars with my Alpy. With a high resolution spectrograph, such as a Shelyak Lhires lll, one can resolve emission spectra on the stars and get meaningful data from observation of Be stars as the intensity of these emission lines change with time. O so much to be done and so little time, but onward and upward. 

Thanks

Dick

• DHEB, flt158, mosentos and 4 others like this

#2 mwr

mwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:38 AM

T Tauri and NGC 1555 are really  difficult objects to capture with my setup (https://www.cloudyni...9437-equipment/). 

NGC 1555 remained almost invisble even after a 420 sec exposure. T Tauri was bright enough to get a noisy SA-200 spectrum with a detectable H alpha emission:

Folie1.JPG

Differential photometry was possible (10.5 mag) and is in good agreement with AAVSO data:

Folie2.JPG

A comparison with ProAm spectra from the BAA database (taken by J.Foster and K. Gurney) shows nicely how the [O I] and [S II] lines are broadened beyond detectability (also due to the low S/N ratio):

Folie3.JPG

For Rainer K√∂hler (a professional astrophysicist at the University of Vienna) T Tauri is his favorite object and he wrote a beautiful summary on it : https://homepage.uni...Object-TTau.pdf

Edited by mwr, 15 February 2020 - 05:03 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics