•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sould I buy a 6" Mak?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 astro42

astro42

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

I like the binoviewer idea and have considered tying one.

But the cost of buying 2 eyepieces to change focal lengths is a bit of a turn off for me.

I would rather spend money on one expensive eyepiece than 2 cheaper ones.

#27 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

Well, of course you should.

You have an 8", and a 4". You need a 6" to full that gap.

And the Universe will be in Harmony....

• izar187 and mrsjeff like this

#28 astro42

astro42

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Thanks SonnyE,

I might just do that.LOL

#29 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

Thanks SonnyE,

I might just do that.LOL

I'm married. I'm use to using "Simple Logic". 

LOL! lol.gif

Edited by SonnyE, 02 January 2020 - 11:41 AM.

#30 greenstars3

greenstars3

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:54 PM

If you are looking for a great 7" scope take a look at a 180 Mewlon from Takahashi, best moon and planet killer I have ever looked thru. Plus you will not have to worry about having any thread sizing issues.  

Robert

• markb and Tyson M like this

#31 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:07 PM

I like the binoviewer idea and have considered tying one.

But the cost of buying 2 eyepieces to change focal lengths is a bit of a turn off for me.

I would rather spend money on one expensive eyepiece than 2 cheaper ones.

Sounds like you already know what you want - which is great. So go for it. If you aren’t happy with your decision about a 6” Mak, you can get back most of your money by selling it on the aftermarket. 

BTW, Baader Zoom click lock 8-24mm eyepieces are very good. They will allow you to change focal length without swapping out different eyepieces. 

Edited by elwaine, 02 January 2020 - 08:11 PM.

#32 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

Moving to Cats & Casses in case of more answers.

#33 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

There are those who say early orange tube C8's from the early 1970's can be especially excellent. Post #7 in this old 2014 thread titled What Celestron SCT model was the companies best suggests the first quarter of 1973. Now such opinions are anecdotal, perhaps, but considering the low cost and relative ease of obtaining such a vintage C8 (for buyers based in the USA that is) one may be well served to simply try finding one several to try out.

The spreadsheet in the C8 registry thread indicates such a 1st quarter 73 serial to be 111363 (last digit is the year, first digit the quarter). So say about $400+ for a used C8 of this vintage, I am considering a quest to locate one of these supposed exquisite samples. Still the best "bang for the buck" even if "overpriced".

Numerous semi-anecdotal reports from experienced individuals strongly suggest the early 1970's were a period in which the C8 was on occasion very well figured indeed. Another thread that supports the first quarter 1973 claim: Cleaned up an Orange C8

This is where I am in terms of thinking about "giving a C8 another chance".

Just my 2 cents.

• Magnus Ahrling likes this

#34 mr_snout

mr_snout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio Texas

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:31 AM

Everybody needs one of every kind of scope if you can afford it. It lets you buy a full set of eyepieces and use them all, not just a couple of them. I have 2 SCTs and 2 MCTs (both USSR made) in my collection.

You know you have been in this hobby too long when your equipment list is longer than any message you leave.

I kinda picked up a 127 mak for that reason. I have a 6 inch and 8 inch SCT.... The 127 is much more portable in spite of it only being an inch smaller. Plus, as mentioned, I can try out different eyepieces....

#35 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

All that said.

What about a 7" mak instead.

I assume it would give me better planetary views than my 8" SCT?

And I'm only looking at the Skywatcher Maks as I don't have the funds for high end optics.

Well, my 180mm gives sharper views than any 8" SCT in my area. People can get rather tiresome about the Maksutovs they own. I keep mine insulated (SCTs benefit from this, too). This and their ability to hold collimation makes them extremely trouble free scopes.

Will the 7" Mak give better views than your 8" SCT? That depends on how well you keep your SCT collimated, and how good the optics are. Test reports tend to show more roughness in SCTs of otherwise equivalent quality, a flaw that comes from the way the corrector plate is made.

SCTs have certain advantages: They may have larger central obstructions, but also wider fields of view. Maks cost more than standard SCTs; their price rivals Celestron's Edge-HD. A Mak may be better corrected off axis than a standard SCT, but the Edge will beat the Mak, do it at lower power, and with less vignetting. Did I mention that SCTs weigh less?

That said, would I give up my Mak for an SCT? Hell no! We Mak users are weird that way.

• Tyson M likes this

#36 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:29 PM

"We Mak users are weird that way."

Well, I'm a refractor nut. And I think you reflector types are all weird.

You stole the wife's make-up mirror, put it in a paint bucket, took her purse mirror and hung in the front and aimed it into an eyepiece.

That's got to be weird.

LOL! lol.gif

• gene 4181 and Peter Besenbruch like this

#37 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

The 6" maks get great reviews, as does the 7" mak.  Similar to a refractor with the views, IMO better than an SCT. 

Great lunar / planetary views particularly.  I had enjoyed the 7" SW mak.

The same views can of course be had with SCT's, decent lunar/planetary views at times- but I too felt the comparative budget maks were slightly sharper than the garden variety SCT

Edited by Tyson M, 03 January 2020 - 08:20 PM.

• markb likes this

#38 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

I just purchased one myself to go with my 100ED. I’ll have some info in the coming months on well they are(at least in my opinion). 

• eros312 and Tyson M like this

#39 Magnus Ahrling

Magnus Ahrling

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden 57:30N.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

I have an Intes MK66 Mak 6" f/12 (std) and an old -73 C8. (third quarter #314313) In my opinion both are excellent scopes and I use both with joy. Nice tight airydiscs and and snap on focus. Of course the C8 goes a bit deeper. Despite the lack of coating. The C8 is a tiny bit more sensetive to collimation. Not strange as the MK66 is extremely solid!

I have not observed Jupiter, Saturn or Mars the latest few years`cause they have been so low in the sky. But from what I can remember and have read in my log the C8 shows just a bit more details (when seeing is good/excellent), not much but noticable and the image is  brighter in the C8. Binaries with one bright component and one faint are easier to detect in the C8.

I have had these scopes for circa 10 years.

I use them on a Vixen GP mount or CG5 Go2. But rather seldom the latter....

Good Luck & Clear Skies,

Magnus

Edited by Magnus Ahrling, 05 January 2020 - 09:25 AM.

• markb and EverlastingSky like this

#40 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

Late to this thread and being a former owner of a 6" f/6 Mak Newt and now a 7" f/6 one AND an 8" f/10 Maksutov Cassegrain thought I'd add food for thought.

A 6 inch scope even with outstanding optics is still just a 6 inch scope

Once I started using my 8" on things, the subtle differences I had trouble recognizing now stood out.

Edited by JohnH, 06 January 2020 - 03:41 PM.

#41 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

He already has an 8” SCT... this is more for something for a quick look.

Agree with what you say though, no point using any 6” on DSO...

Edited by luxo II, 06 January 2020 - 04:02 PM.

#42 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

I love Maks.  But, my sense of the thing is that a 6 inch Mak is too close in weight to an 8 inch SCT while giving up 2 inches of aperture.  Why bother?

#43 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

I love Maks.  But, my sense of the thing is that a 6 inch Mak is too close in weight to an 8 inch SCT while giving up 2 inches of aperture.  Why bother?

Very true, unless the MAK has superior optical quality compared to the 8” SCT.  But I recently did a side by side comparison with an 8” Meade ACF and an Intes MK66 MAK and the Meade killed the MAK for image brightness and resolution.  One of the most lopsided side by sides I have ever done.

Bill

#44 Eric63

Eric63

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

My 2 cents here. A 127mak would be more portable, more comfortable for quick views than the refactor (the EP height wont change as much) and would cool faster than the 8" SCT. I've compared my 127 Mak to my 6" NEWT Often and the difference on lunar and planerary is subtle. Of course thr 6" is brighter but everything I can see in the 6" I can also see in the 127. So I would consider the 127Mak if I was looking for a compact/portable package that could still deliver great views. I love that I can use my 127Mak on my AZ4 without a chair and still be very comfortable. I can't say the same for my old 102mmF5 refractor when I had it.

Eric
  • gene 4181 likes this

#45 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

I have a 152mm Mak (Meade). It replaced my 127mm that I gave to a member of our club. The  scope is wonderful and significantly better than my 127. I use it for outreach and public star parties and it generally is the favorite at these events. It is mounted on a Ioptron ZEQ25CM. 

#46 7howie7

7howie7

Sputnik

• Loc: El Segundo CA

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

Hello all, newbie here. I just picked up a Orion 127, and i luv it!! Very bright, compact and portable. 

• Rock22 and Cali like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics