•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

question about meades lx90 sct

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:37 PM

with this scope is it possible to loosen the clutches, move the scope manually to a object then tighten the clutches back up and use to remote controller for slow motion control. thanks, don

#2 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:17 AM

It's possible but why would you do it like this?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 8 met Tapatalk

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

Or you could set the clutches so that they allow some slippage permitting manual movement. Of course you will lose your goto alignment. But there's no reason you can't use the mount manually. Pretty much the way everyone used their scopes until the '90s.

#4 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

NVDW, its like sometimes when you come home from work or doing some labor that you just dont feel like setting up and doing the alignment but you would like to get in some observing before you turn in, the manual thing would be easier and faster for maybe 15-20 minutes of viewing. don

#5 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:27 PM

with this scope is it possible to loosen the clutches, move the scope manually to a object then tighten the clutches back up and use to remote controller for slow motion control. thanks, don

Sure, why not?

Power on then hit mode Mode several times until the handbox is ready for directional input.

I guess the questions is, what takes more effort - aligning the scope or tracking an object manually - depends on the length of time you anticipate to track manually.

#6 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:36 AM

I agree with M57guy.
Mine is forked (saves time) and with the GPS it takes around 5' till I can start (including 2 star alignment).
But you have to do what seems the easiest and fastest for you.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 8 met Tapatalk

#7 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:19 PM

I don't think that its going to save you time in the long run because your tracking will be out and you would have to track the object manually. With practice you should get your levelling and two star alignment down to less than 5 minutes. What I do to speed up star hopping is to use a green laser and star hop at max speed till I am close to my target  but then when I am on it I do a "identify" and a sync so that the Audiostar stays "in the loop" . It saves time because you don't have to search for the object in the menus.

#8 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:41 PM

Yes, you can loosen the DEC and RA and point it to a target then fully engage the clutches for hand control.  So it is possible to do, but if I were going to plan to do it regularly I'd advise at the minimum having a wedge so you could roughly align north and then have only minor adjustments as part of quick use. The RA drive then will stay at normal tracking rate so adjustments with HC will be less than in Alt-Az configuration.

I have tried to do what you are thinking with a CPC1100 in Alt-Az.  I did it trying to watch the planets for a quick outing but found it more cumbersome and less enjoyable than taking just a few minutes to do a quick alignment and then let the telescope track the target.

The LX90 is not a telescope I'd recommend to use in this manner unless you plan to use it with a wedge as it was not built with a DEC slow motion design nor reliable RA slow motion control.  The LX200 still has those abilities so if you wanted to go at it without power you can actually do so with an LX200 and even LX600 even in Alt-Az configuration.  The LX90 is designed for pretty much control through the handbox, the DEC clutch slippage may find you losing control of the OTA at inopportune times as well (speaking from experience). 

A good used LX200 GPS will give you the ability to use slow motion controls with similar buy-in costs to an LX90.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics