•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Venus on last 30th, my first of the present elongation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:04 AM

Here is a report of venus for yellow-green, blue and red segment colors, performed with the 90mm refractor.
Some dusky markings were noted, faint Indeed not very helped by the local seeing for capturing.
Anyway I mentioned some brightenings on the disk, blue and red segments.
Hope this is useful, still difficult sky conditions here even with moderate apertures.

Stanislas-Jean.

resized_venus 30.12.19 14H30UT.jpg

• Special Ed, IVM, okiestarman56 and 8 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

Stanislas-Jean,

Fine sketches of Venus (On last 30th, my first of the present elongation) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Stanislas-Jean,

Your Venus sketches look good. Good detail with all 3 filters.

Frank :)

#4 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:29 AM

Dear observers,

yesterday the air was steady and I could observe Venus in the late dusk. I used a bunch of filters with my 4 inch refractor. The terminator had a strange outline which changed with filters. Magnification was 144x

Attached Thumbnails

• 2001011540Venus_RApo_144.jpg

• frank5817, eros312, steve t and 1 other like this

#5 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:24 AM

hi Uwe;

Interresting report.

Personnally I never saw such discontinuities on the Terminator, lot of such could be illusory, could be.

Please have a look on the Following picture taken same day by Anthony Wesley, issued on the alpo jpn site.

]http://alpo-j.asahik...c.jp/indexE.htm

for venus/ 1.1.20 date.

v200101a1.png

Stanislas-Jean

• frank5817, steve t and niteskystargazer like this

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:03 AM

> could be illusory

Of course, probably it is. If there are dark features near the terminator, they pretend some kind of dent.

• ricksmith likes this

#7 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

More realistic this can be as a discontinuity, a protusion away, an excess of brightness created by the atmosphere on the Terminator.

This case had been reported by observers in past.

These singularities are markers of the atmosphere activity.

Should be reported duly and through different color segments.

I never reported such personally, except when the venus Crescent is thin near conjunction and at the pĂ´les where small protusions, dents may appear as excess of brightness. But not big magnitude.

Stanislas-Jean

#8 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:39 AM

Today I sketched Venus again. I used my 4 inch refractor and filters form left to right: red, blue, violet.

Venus is rewarding at the moment don't miss it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2001241800Venus_Rapo_180.jpg

• steve t and niteskystargazer like this

#9 ricksmith

ricksmith

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Saying its illusionary is incorrect. I majored in chemistry before I got my MD. I have a extensive physics, math, and chemistry background. A UV or IR image will show different contrast and possibly features than color.. Spectroscopy ie photons on the retina is interaction with or emitted by matter -involves by definition different types of matter. Sometimes photons are turned into heat and or multiple different wavelengths. I have been sketching venus with baader color filters ( see sketch section). I'm finding the planet has white poles and currently many multiple white peripheral white areas. Also the periphery shows some green brown areas. The center has some blue areas. Most of the bands are brownish. I'm seeing on 02 22 20 a triangular area that is peripherally lighter ie light brown to green and centrally darker.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200224_000839.jpg

• steve t likes this

#10 ricksmith

ricksmith

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Average seeing 271x only. I have approximated the color as described in above post with a color wheel and sketch overlay of features. The above brown image used same technique but more ie 11 sketches and 361x. We need to keep in mind that the clouds move at 400mph so a one hour sketch can show different features ie not just because clouds move but also new ones may form and others may dissipate. For this reason, a sketch may always show more detail than a 2 minute Video series of frames. Also a cmos or ccd chip has a fixed number of pixels at a f length, whereas the retina has unlimited essentially ' pixels' because of the ability to move the eye in different directions and refocus

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200215_094145.jpg

• steve t likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics