•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: NGC 1535

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Round Rock, Texas

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:14 AM

Planetary nebula NGC 1535 is a victim of circumstance. Take a look at its facts. Its bluish disk spans about a minute of arc, which is quite large as planetaries go, and shines brightly enough to be visible through giant binoculars. Its central star glows at magnitude 11.6, creating a surreal scene resembling a disembodied human eye, which led to the nickname "Cleopatra's Eye." Those in the know rate NGC 1535 as one of the sky's finest planetary nebulae. Yet this enticing target remains unknown to many backyard stargazers.

Click here to view the article
  • okiestarman56 and retroman2 like this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Phil:

Thank you for another cosmic challenge. NGC 1535 is a favorite of mine, particularly in a large scope. As you say, its one of the most beautiful planetaries..

I locate it by starting at Zaurak, gamma Eradini (mag 3) and moving 4 degrees (one Telrad diameter) towards Rigel. NGC1535 is almost on a direct line from Zaurak and Rigel.

I do not believe I've seen NGC1538 so If it ever clears up, I have to give it a try.

Happy New Years

Jon

• PhilH and Knasal like this

#3 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

Thanks, Jon. Happy New Year to you, too.

#4 Migwan

Migwan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

Great target Phil.  Definitely missed its presence in the past, so I appreciate your exposing its presence.  jd

• Jon Isaacs and PhilH like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics