•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

For $200, Oberwerk or Apogee?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 I hate spam

I hate spam

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:16 PM

Based on what Iv read the Oberwerk would be a safer bet.
Anyway:
Oberwerk 20x80mm $199
Apogee 20x100mm $199

Just wondering if the extra 20mm amp would negate the difference in lens coatings and quality differences between the two. I must admit the idea of having two 4” refractors that are bigger than my telescope is appealing, however, I would rather have as good a quality as I can for under $200.

Also, is it worth the extra $50 for the Oberwerk 20x80 over the 15x70?

#2 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:07 AM

We've all had these kind of doubts when it comes to purchasing our binos. I for one was tempted to buy a Celestron Skymaster 25x100 but went with the Ober 20x90 instead. The better coatings and excellent customer service and support convinced me. I also bought the Ober. because you can collimate them yourself. If you happen to purchase a pair that doesn't have this feature and our UPS friends drop them, you're pretty much scr*wed with a misaligned binocular.
The only difference you might notice when comparing the 100 mm vs the 80 mm is a wider useable FOV in the 100mm due to the larger lense, (considering that it's a quality instrument) and slightly brighter image (depending on were you view from).

Hope this helps...

Diego

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:15 AM

I think in general having high quality lens and lens coatings wins over having a moderately larger aperature of lesser quality materials. In this particular case, it is tough for me to say being that I have never used Apogee gear. I have heard over the past 4 months some troubling stories about the quality control of the 20x80 obies. You may want to allow some time for other CN form members to voice their opinions on this before making your purchase.

#4 I hate spam

I hate spam

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:37 PM

on that note (coatings)
how would you quys compare the Burgess 15x70 with broadband coatings and the Oberwerks multi coatings?
the Obers are $149 and the Burgess are $99...

#5 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:02 PM

Well the reason I chose Oberwerk was because Kevin had great costumer service. Since the bino had to travel overseas, this was very important to me. Turns out I made the right decision because when I finally got the 20x80’s, there was something wrong with it.

No problems with Kevin – gets 10 out of 10 stars in my book! :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics