•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto Star 2 Latest firmware update?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Auburn, MI

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:25 PM

Hello everyone

I have read and researched this topic and from what I have found everyone seems to say that the 4.2g is the latest update. Maybe I’m just missing here but, I have updated my firmware just this afternoon and my firmware comes up saying 4.2I. Is this the latest version for the controller hand box or is the “g” version the latest? I’m guessing that its the “I” that I just downloaded but again I haven’t found anyone on here talking about this particular version.

I looked on Meades website and they don’t state the version I have either. https://www.meade.co...pport/auto.html

So far everything looks like its taken and I’ll verify this tonight. For reference I’ve attached an image that shows my controller and front panel of the lx200gps SMT base.

Also I’m planing on updating my wireless controller as well. I assume this is done in the exact same manor as how I updated the original wired controller???

Many thanks in advance!

Dale

Attached Thumbnails

• ABD55278-90E2-45BC-AA7B-4447DFE6DCED.jpeg

Edited by Dale Penkala, 01 January 2020 - 03:29 PM.

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Gemini

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

Gday Dale

4.2g was the last firmware released that we have patched and is very stable.

When the GPS rollover bug came out, Meade released 2 new versions, 4.2k ( which had lots of new bugs ), then 4.2l ( little ell ), which some reported also having problems with.

In parallel, we tweaked the 4.2g patch to also fix the GPS rollover, so you have 2 options

4.2l, and see what happens.

4.2g patched ( known product and solid )

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• Dale Penkala likes this

#3 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:47 PM

Also I’m planing on updating my wireless controller as well. I assume this is done in the exact same manor as how I updated the original wired controller???

Your hand controller does not need updating.  With this version LX200, all the smarts are in the mount and the hand controller is just a keypad and display.

• Dale Penkala and Foundationer like this

#4 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

Gday Dale

4.2g was the last firmware released that we have patched and is very stable.

When the GPS rollover bug came out, Meade released 2 new versions, 4.2k ( which had lots of new bugs ), then 4.2l ( little ell ), which some reported also having problems with.

In parallel, we tweaked the 4.2g patch to also fix the GPS rollover, so you have 2 options

4.2l, and see what happens.

4.2g patched ( known product and solid )

Thank you Andrew! Where then do I get the 4.2g. The updater automatically updates to the latest version.

#5 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

Your hand controller does not need updating.  With this version LX200, all the smarts are in the mount and the hand controller is just a keypad and display.

So then it should work without updating this controller Chuck? It had the same issue that my wired controller had (gps glitch) since doing the update to the 4.2l the time/date/location is working fine with it. The wireless didn’t want to do that either so I figured that I needed to update that controller from the 2.0 to the 4.2l as well.

Thanks!

Dale

#6 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Gemini

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Gday Dale

You dont use Meades updater, you use the freeware StarPatch loader.

It is more robust than ASU and also allows interactive selection of the patch options you want.

Ref https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

Basically, load the StarPatch app

select your handbox type in the menu ( ASII LX200 )

use the check for updates menu and it will download the correct patch and rom files

Select what you want ( the std defaults are good for 99% of people )

• Dale Penkala likes this

#7 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Gday Dale

You dont use Meades updater, you use the freeware StarPatch loader.

It is more robust than ASU and also allows interactive selection of the patch options you want.

Ref https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

Basically, load the StarPatch app

select your handbox type in the menu ( ASII LX200 )

use the check for updates menu and it will download the correct patch and rom files

Select what you want ( the std defaults are good for 99% of people )

Ok thank you Andrew I’ll give this a try!

Dale

#8 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

So then it should work without updating this controller Chuck? It had the same issue that my wired controller had (gps glitch) since doing the update to the 4.2l the time/date/location is working fine with it. The wireless didn’t want to do that either so I figured that I needed to update that controller from the 2.0 to the 4.2l as well.

Thanks!
Dale

It you use the wireless controller now, it will report the newer code. A change done with one controller will show up in any that are used with mount. The keypad is dumb, but the older LX200s, the smarts we're in the hand controller.

#9 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

And update on this thread is I got everything working perfectly with the now 4.2g upgrade on the controller. Both the wired as well as the wireless hand box.

I’m also very happy I used the Star Patch updater as well. It is definitely much faster then the AS updater thats for sure! I was leary  about trying it but I’m defiantly glad I did! 

I know most of this thread has been talked about in the past but I didn’t see anything about the “l” version. At lease if someone has the same question its at lease in here now and its an updated thread.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in! 

Dale

#10 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK 73162

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:47 AM

What is the GPS rollover bug i keep reading about?

#11 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

What is the GPS rollover bug i keep reading about?

In a lot of the telescopes with GPS units in them, they do not update the time, date, location etc information in the controller. In my case thats what happened to me. The fix for me was to update my Auto Star II controller to the latest firmware which was the 4.2g. Once I did that it fixed my problem completely! 

If your not having an issue with your scope when you use your GPS you evidently are not effected.

Hope this helps!

Dale

#12 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK 73162

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:30 AM

In a lot of the telescopes with GPS units in them, they do not update the time, date, location etc information in the controller. In my case thats what happened to me. The fix for me was to update my Auto Star II controller to the latest firmware which was the 4.2g. Once I did that it fixed my problem completely! 

If your not having an issue with your scope when you use your GPS you evidently are not effected.

Hope this helps!

Dale

I guess mine was updated as it relayed the correct time and date...then i updated the firmware and something messed up with that during the download...when i turned it back on it just ran in a circle till it hit the stop or i turned it off...took me 2 additional updates to re-establish the firmware and fortunately, it still displays the correct date and time...thought i made a boat anchor out of it...i posted in CN about it and was advised not to update the firmware anymore unless there is a problem...after that episode...i will adhere to that advice. My old LX200GPS i updated it all the time without a problem just for the new satellites and stuff they were discovering..Meade told me back then that is what it updates i never knew it did the firmware till just a while back after i posted in here about the runaway.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics