•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are you planning to purchase any new or used refractors this year?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#101 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:13 AM

I've been long considering selling off my 4 inch APO to trade up to a 6 inch ED, but given the size of the 6 inch I'm afraid I might be soon sorry.

The ASCENT looks great, it makes me think of an improved version of my Vixen 102M that I enjoy because of its light weight and quick cool down, but I just don't need another 4 inch refractor.

JK

Don't do it. I’ve been down that road and it’s filled with bigger mounts and longer set up times. The views are great but the reality goes like this; first night is described as “wow” awesome views by the sixth viewing session it’s “wow” this is way bigger than I thought and more work than I thought, I wish I had a 4” APO.

• Paul G, stevew, JKAstro and 3 others like this

#102 Camissa

Camissa

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Town

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

I ordered a TEC Apo 160FL last year and expect it to arrive in March or April. This telescope should cure upcoming aperture fever once and for all. 

• Paul Hyndman, doctordub, RAKing and 7 others like this

#103 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:25 PM

For me, the time and effort to set up usually irreverent if I'm at home. On weekends where I know I can observe all night, I get jazzed as soon as i find out the weather is going to be awesome for observing. I might take a full hour to set up my 6" refractor, but its well worth it for spending a full night with a big 6" APO.

I do have some friends who are loosing interest rapidly and set up means everything to them. 

...Ralph

Don't do it. I’ve been down that road and it’s filled with bigger mounts and longer set up times. The views are great but the reality goes like this; first night is described as “wow” awesome views by the sixth viewing session it’s “wow” this is way bigger than I thought and more work than I thought, I wish I had a 4” APO.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#104 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:56 AM

I picked up my TV-102 in October and I'm still in a permanent state of one-scope nirvana.

Sometimes I think of getting a premium dob in the f/7 or f/8 range though.

• The Luckster and 25585 like this

#105 XwarpfactorX

XwarpfactorX

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edwards, California

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:42 AM

I'm looking at purchasing my first "real" refractor this year. I've mainly been a reflector guy, but I do have a ST80 that I bought to use as a guidescope and I never did anything with it.

Depending on availability I'm looking at the AT130EDT or something similar, mainly for imaging but also for a little direct viewing. I may also go for a SVX080 to get me started if sourcing the 130 becomes a problem.

#106 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

I'm looking at purchasing my first "real" refractor this year. I've mainly been a reflector guy, but I do have a ST80 that I bought to use as a guidescope and I never did anything with it.

Depending on availability I'm looking at the AT130EDT or something similar, mainly for imaging but also for a little direct viewing. I may also go for a SVX080 to get me started if sourcing the 130 becomes a problem.

https://www.teleskop...-Refraktor.html

• XwarpfactorX likes this

#107 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

This is a possibility for me, seems too good to be real for its price https://www.teleskop...-Elementen.html

• XwarpfactorX, Tyson M and YAOG like this

#108 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:13 AM

For me, the time and effort to set up usually irreverent if I'm at home. On weekends where I know I can observe all night, I get jazzed as soon as i find out the weather is going to be awesome for observing. I might take a full hour to set up my 6" refractor, but its well worth it for spending a full night with a big 6" APO.

I do have some friends who are loosing interest rapidly and set up means everything to them. 

...Ralph

Ralph:

For me, there's a threshold. A refractor has to be easier to setup than one of my Dobs.  Since it takes me about 5 minutes to setup the 13.1 inch F/5.5 (the largest one that lives in San Diego), that puts the limit at about 5 inches for a refractor.  

I pretty much have my refractor niche's filled but if an AT-102ED or an ED-100 came along at the right price, I might jump on it. 

Jon

#109 Camissa

Camissa

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Town

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

On weekends where I know I can observe all night, I get jazzed as soon as i find out the weather is going to be awesome for observing. I might take a full hour to set up my 6" refractor, but its well worth it for spending a full night with a big 6" APO.

Ralph,

I could not agree more. I like the time on my own setting up for the night. The day is gone and the night is coming. It is a satisfying routine, almost like a form of meditation. 

Ecki

• RAKing likes this

#110 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

I'd like to get a used (non-IS) NP101.  I currently have an SV70T for astrophotography, but I don't use it for visual.  Since I don't have--or, quite frankly, want--a full-frame sensor, a crop-sensor DSLR is good enough for me, and the non-IS NP-101 will more than suffice in terms of an imaging circle.

But I haven't gone ahead with this so far, as even the used NP-101's aren't exactly priced as impulse buys.  Basically, I need one at a price I just can't pass up.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• Jon Isaacs, doctordub and 25585 like this

#111 XwarpfactorX

XwarpfactorX

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edwards, California

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like a great alternative to the AT130, will definitely investigate further.

• 25585 likes this

#112 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:10 PM

Which is why they invented the 130-140mm apos and lighter CNCd mounts to carry them for visual and imaging work. 

#113 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:03 PM

I'd like to get a used (non-IS) NP101.  I currently have an SV70T for astrophotography, but I don't use it for visual.  Since I don't have--or, quite frankly, want--a full-frame sensor, a crop-sensor DSLR is good enough for me, and the non-IS NP-101 will more than suffice in terms of an imaging circle.

But I haven't gone ahead with this so far, as even the used NP-101's aren't exactly priced as impulse buys.  Basically, I need one at a price I just can't pass up.

Clear Skies,

Phil

TS Optics has a 100mm quad that Stellarvue used to sell as their SVQ100 and by all accounts it's an excellent astrograph that can double as a flatfield visual scope. Probably $2,500 or so.  

• 25585 likes this

#114 JKAstro

JKAstro

Mariner 2

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

That is exactly the dilemma.  I have a Unistar Deluxe on a Berlebach UNI which should in theory hold it fine, but I just won't know until I try it.  But I do know the 4 inch refractor and the 8 inch cat are nothing to set up.

But enough of that rational talk!  :)

#115 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

TS Optics has a 100mm quad that Stellarvue used to sell as their SVQ100 and by all accounts it's an excellent astrograph that can double as a flatfield visual scope. Probably $2,500 or so.  

Tempting.  But if I look for a used one, it's still going to be close to the $2,000 or so for a non-IS NP-101.

For $1,600-$1,800, I'd probably get either one.

Another possibility I've given serious thought to is the AT92.  A 92mm f/5.5 is a step up from the ubiquitous 80mm refractors, and with some of the newer reducers (like the Starizona Apex 0.65X), I could get that down to a screaming-fast f/3.6.  The AT92 is also airline-portable.  And cheaper than either of the aforementioned 4" Petzvals.

Clear Skies,
Phil

• 25585 likes this

#116 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

...Ralph

It may take about 10 minutes longer to set up my APM 152ED than my smaller fracs, so that's not an issue.  But work nights aren't good because I'll want to spend more than an hour or two at the eyepiece of The Beast, and 0430 seems to come earlier & earlier each week...

I've already started serious down-sizing in 2020 -- both with sales, and with lobbying children & grandchildren to take the "heirloom" scopes.  That's a good thing.  But... now there's room in my Man Cave for additional scopes...

• RAKing likes this

#117 DaveHume

DaveHume

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, US

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

Recently notified about the AP 92.  That will be quite enough this year.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#118 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Uh, after seeing the new AT80ED f/7, there may be a new refractor on the horizon for me.

cs

jason

• Bomber Bob likes this

#119 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:38 PM

Careful... my AT102ED made my Vixen FL80S superfluous...

• Jon Isaacs and The Luckster like this

#120 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:40 PM

Really wasn’t planning on any “new” scopes this year. At least I made it to the 13th of January. A scope popped up for a decent price and next thing I know it is headed my way with anticipated delivery on Saturday. Time to let one go. 

• Jon Isaacs and The Luckster like this

#121 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

I never really PLANNED on getting any of my refractors. They just followed me home!

Jmd

Maybe this started with me too....

One is coming over from UK and another one from Germany....cool.gif

No idea how they traced me...grin.gif also they seem brothers from each other , allthough one is a bit bigger then the other...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 15 January 2020 - 04:45 PM.

#122 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

I wasnt planning on getting a new refractor this year.  Was going to keep my modest budget one for a while as I am happy with it.

But of course- then an opportunity came up and now I have the most expensive refractor I ever purchased arranged to come to me in march. bangbang.gif  foreheadslap.gif

I will think of it as a future graduation present to myself for completing post secondary later this year, and hope to limit the buying and selling of scopes going forward.hmm.gif

• Paul Hyndman, Esso2112, The Luckster and 1 other like this

#123 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:44 AM

I have long coveted the TOA-130 and I didn't get it last year but who knows for this year ;)

• payner and 25585 like this

#124 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:37 AM

I may be looking at a Tak Sky 90 or one of the new lightweight FC series 4 inchers to take the place of my superb FS-102 NSV (sigh). As I age, the lighter the better.

I have a wonderful WO Megrez 80 with the "fluorite" objective upgrade that was gifted me by a stranger who has become a valued friend. I am using it more and more due to its compact size, light weight and smaller "swing angle" in use. But with new 4 inch Takahashis weighing about the same, and having fairly short 740 mm focal lengths, the extra aperture will likely be too much to resist.

Steve , you cant go wrong with a Sky90 , , along with my TV Pronto the 2 scopes I should have never sold ! My little Sky90 held its own against my ED100 up to a point when the magnification was getting silly for these two scopes ,, stupid me ! .

Beanerds 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00012 (3).JPG

• Rollo likes this

#125 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

Here’s hoping for better health this year Ron.

Cheers

Phil

I have no immediate plans to buy or sell anything.  I spent most of last year downsizing my collection (both in aperture and number) to reflect the reality of my current situation.  But that still doesn't account for any impulse buys I might make if I see a particular scope I want.

What I really want this year is better health and better weather!  flowerred.gif

Ron

• RAKing likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics