•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIair Tablet or Computer?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:10 AM

Can I use a laptop computer with the WiFi connection, instead of a tablet to run my ASIair app?

• Greyhaven likes this

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

ASIair is a commercial/proprietary product coving both the Raspberry Pi 3 hardware and bundled operating system (probably Raspian -- light weight OS or similar) and applications.  It probably has some licensing scheme to lock it down.

It's definitely not just an "app".

#3 Art Morrison

Art Morrison

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

I had the same question, though the ASIair has apparently been discontinued and replaced by the ASIair Pro.

So to the question, there is no user manual for the ASIair Pro that I can find and no mention of using it with a laptop on the ZWO website. I would like the option to do that.

Also, I am using the MyT mount and I am also looking at the Software Bisque "Fusion" which seems to be a similar device designed for the Software Bisque mounts.

#4 scopewizard

scopewizard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

ASIair is only able to control ASI cameras, not all of them either. I don't believe it has an app for PC. The alternative is to buy a pi 4 which is much faster and install Astroberry free software. It works using VNC app, available for PC, iOS and Android. I did just that for under $100USD.

https://www.astroberry.io

https://indilib.org/...ilable-now.html

#5 JimT

JimT

Viking 1

• Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:33 AM

Just an FYI  you can run the ASIAIR ,on a PC.  I tested this list of Android emulators.  (  List at bottom )

I did this so that I can broadcast live on line while still running things with the ASIAIR. Can't do  live streaming

with a phone or tablet very well.  I can run ASILIVE or use SharpCap on the PC and broadcast live on line.

It took a few days of testing, but I found what worked best for my 3 PC's. Out of the entire list , 3 emulators worked for me

but one stood out having no slow lag or performance issues at all. NOX worked like a charm for all 3 PC's.

Bluestacks works but is sluggish.  LDPLAYER worked OK , but is not as stable as I would have liked.

Gameloop failed to load and the others are just to much work to make work or have to run as a stand alone OS that would not allow me to broadcast.  MEMU would not allow me to load up ASIAIR.

I found NOX to be stable and easy to work with . It was the easiest to install and simple to load up the apps from the Play store.

It ran better than I could have asked for. In most cases I will use my tablet and PC to broadcast live on line ,but it is nice to have this option.

Of course once you have ASIAIR working in NOX you can broadcast the screen from it as well.

When not casting on line I'll just use the tablet it's self as was intended .

Bottom line. Yep you can do it.

ARChon
    Bliss OS
    Bluestacks
    GameLoop
    Genymotion
    LDPlayer
    MEmu

Nox
    Phoenix OS
    PrimeOS
    Remix OS Player
    Xamarin
    YouWave

• nic35 and OldManSky like this

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Okay, I think the same name causes confusion...

There is the major workhorse that is the ASIair controller which runs on top of a Raspberry Pi 3 SBC.

Then there is the ASIair Android app which is simply the user interface part of the system.

#7 JimT

JimT

Viking 1

• Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:42 PM

Okay, I think the same name causes confusion...

There is the major workhorse that is the ASIair controller which runs on top of a Raspberry Pi 3 SBC.

Then there is the ASIair Android app which is simply the user interface part of the system.

And with that simple Android  ASIAIR app interface one  can control the ZWO ASIAIR device  which connects  to the mount and cameras using a Win 10 PC.

All anyone needs is the right Android emulator.  Odds are good  the ASIAIR PRO ( when released )  will work also.

There is no confusion to that. The only confusion is when some one adds in to the subject the Raspberry PI 3 soon to be PI 4 on the Pro. That makes the subject confusing.  The question was can someone use a Windows PC. Yes they can.

Using a emulator one can even download the Sky Safari 6 Pro from the play store and us it also if they wish. It too works just fine  through the ASIAIR device and can  control the mount.

The emulator allows for PC to work just like a tablet or phone would . 

• PH1L1PP3 likes this

#8 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:29 AM

I am looking for a compatible tablet to run ASIAir (Pro). It says it requires 4Gb RAM to operate, but do you really need 4Gb? Will 2Gb work or even 3Gb? I am looking for a 10" tablet. I already have a Gen 2 iPad 10" and two Amazon Fire 10" Tablets, but I don't know if it will work with my latest Amazon Fire with Android 7.0.

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

Hehehe, this thread's title is

"ASIair Tablet or Computer?"

I guess that started it all.

IMHO, if OP wants a Windows or Linux based "ASIair client" solution, be it an app or application,

the best way is to ask ZWO to write it in its native form as opposed to jumping thru hoops (build a virtualized/emulated environment.)

(No need to continue this conversation, at least in this front.  Enough had stated already.)

Edited by ccs_hello, 05 January 2020 - 09:02 AM.

#10 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

I am looking for a compatible tablet to run ASIAir (Pro). It says it requires 4Gb RAM to operate, but do you really need 4Gb? Will 2Gb work or even 3Gb? I am looking for a 10" tablet. I already have a Gen 2 iPad 10" and two Amazon Fire 10" Tablets, but I don't know if it will work with my latest Amazon Fire with Android 7.0.

Title: "What tablet works with ASIAir (Pro)?"

I think the same product name once again is going to confuse people.

The "ASIair Pro" Controller (the control master) will run on a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB configuration.

The client app (also called ASIair), Android or iOS flavor does not have that "4GB" requirement.

In another word, it is a two-piece (server side and client side) solution.  Need both to operate.

Edited by ccs_hello, 05 January 2020 - 09:09 AM.

#11 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

I have one of these on order, mostly  because I plan to have to lug my very heavy EQ6-R mount to a darker, more open sky.

Operating remotely with the darn old laptop, which I will use till the Pro, seems like something I would like to not have to pack.

If the laptop turns out to be indispensable, I will have to rethink it.

I plan to use my old iPad Air 2, which has for years loyally served me as my newspaper, library, guitar amp, magazine stand.

The goal is to STOP spending money when I get to a point that I can make AP happen to some minimal degree with stuff I am able to transport, assemble, and utilize.

• Delta608 likes this

#12 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Your iPad will probably be fine, I would worry about the Amazon Fire tablets (of any kind), since they run a crippled, messed-up, proprietary version of Android -- some (many?) Android apps just won't run on them.

#13 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

I've just ordered the ASIair pro, there's at least a 2 month wait until ZWO starts filling the  pre release  orders and I have spent a few hours in the attempt to understand what I will need to operate the unit. I am not comfortable with " work around" solutions to compatibility issues.  I need and want and am willing to pay for a plug and play system so I'm looking for systems ZWO says work. What I understand as of now, the ASIair pro will work on Ipads ect, or android tablets that have at least V6 android systems, on the WiFi side the Pro has both 2.4 and 5G capabilities. The android systems I've looked at seem to call their WiFi system 802.11 ( this is one of the issues I'm looking to clarify before ordering a Tablet)  I've used Windows PC's and the only android tablet I own is an older V5 system. I am disappointed in the unavailability of detailed info from ZWO that would clarify things.

I will also have to replace my guide camera as it appears the Orion Star Shooter is not compatible with the Pro or earlier ASIair units. I hope others will share their experiences and knowledge as we walk down this long dirt road.

Grey

#14 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

OPT told me that the ASIair Pro will support my Celestron Focus Motor.

I remain unconvinced unless I see that spelled out by ZWO.  I'm not going to run out and purchase a ZWO focuser at this time.

#15 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:05 AM

I've just ordered the ASIair pro, there's at least a 2 month wait until ZWO starts filling the  pre release  orders and I have spent a few hours in the attempt to understand what I will need to operate the unit. I am not comfortable with " work around" solutions to compatibility issues.  I need and want and am willing to pay for a plug and play system so I'm looking for systems ZWO says work. What I understand as of now, the ASIair pro will work on Ipads ect, or android tablets that have at least V6 android systems, on the WiFi side the Pro has both 2.4 and 5G capabilities. The android systems I've looked at seem to call their WiFi system 802.11 ( this is one of the issues I'm looking to clarify before ordering a Tablet)  I've used Windows PC's and the only android tablet I own is an older V5 system. I am disappointed in the unavailability of detailed info from ZWO that would clarify things.

I will also have to replace my guide camera as it appears the Orion Star Shooter is not compatible with the Pro or earlier ASIair units. I hope others will share their experiences and knowledge as we walk down this long dirt road.

Grey

I contacted First Light Optics on the WiFi designation Android uses (802.11) and was told it should be compatible... But ( I hate buts) I should contact the tablet manufacture to be sure.

Grey

#16 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Merged this thread and the thread of "What tablet works with ASIAir Pro"? 

Please do not start duplicate threads on essentially the same topic to try and get more answers. It's against the TOS.

#17 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

I contacted First Light Optics on the WiFi designation Android uses (802.11) and was told it should be compatible... But ( I hate buts) I should contact the tablet manufacture to be sure.
Grey

IEEE 802.11 is the Wi-Fi standard.
802.11a uses the 5GHz band
802.11b/g uses the 2.4GHz band
802.11n uses both 2.4 and 5GHz
802.11ac uses 5GHz
802.11ax is known as Wi-Fi 6 and works on all ISM bands between 1 and 6GHz.

In other words, pretty much any laptop, tablet, or PC on the planet will connect to the ASIair access point.

Clear skies!

Edit to clarify that I'm only talking about Wi-Fi connectivity.

Edited by NGC 2419, 06 January 2020 - 11:46 PM.

• Greyhaven likes this

#18 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

IEEE 802.11 is the Wi-Fi standard.
802.11a uses the 5GHz band
802.11b/g uses the 2.4GHz band
802.11n uses both 2.4 and 5GHz
802.11ac uses 5GHz
802.11ax is known as Wi-Fi 6 and works on all ISM bands between 1 and 6GHz.

In other words, pretty much any laptop, tablet, or PC on the planet will connect to the ASIair access point.

Clear skies!

Edit to clarify that I'm only talking about Wi-Fi connectivity.

The explanation I got was that Asiair Pro is compatible with the ASCOM platform and whatever it supports

#19 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:41 AM

Hhm,

many uncertenties - I`ve an Pro on preorder too - but no manual nor anything else more or less on the web?!!

It`s really a pitty that one has to buy just on adverts.... but no proof or credibilty from any user yet - no biased statements - because it`s not there yet! Making sure to sell the former unit on a flash to avoid losses - before they become a not wanted anymore item on which you loose a lot of money - even bought recently and like new in my case!

OK: Got as preorderer my pro cheap - could sell my former ASIAIR at almost no loss (2 month old - unused) - but discontinuing the old version just like that is really not smart! It was taken out of the shelfes from one day to the other worldwide!!

Moreover one feels like being in the dark with no info rather than the advertising!

Have bought the EAF, the ASI pro and an 183 MC colour cooled pro - did I made a mistake to relay on this company????

A non compabilty solution with other cameras etc. was known - but then it should work/a manual pre released - feel kind of beta tester - at first come along with the new software and then stuck with buggs??!

Interested in your thoughts and more over releases of info from ZWO - this is like playing in the dirt and I`m not amused to be left in a dark having spend so much money! I don`t want to learn in 6 month later all buggs are ironed - like being in the middle of a tunel - see a light at the end of it and be then happy it`s not a train!!

This is kind of Chinese surprise bisquets! Either you like what`s said or not! By the way I`m not a believer of such things - nice gimmick ... but so what?

I`m myself in sales and if I would treat my customers like this - I would be out of business for sure!

Good product support, knowledge, honesty, personality, top products and service is what my customers expect from me - this all kept me in business sucessfully for the last 35 years!

OK - looking how it turns out!  Cheers  Oliver

Edited by Astrohobby, 13 January 2020 - 10:52 AM.

#20 kel123

kel123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

OPT told me that the ASIair Pro will support my Celestron Focus Motor.

I remain unconvinced unless I see that spelled out by ZWO. I'm not going to run out and purchase a ZWO focuser at this time.

It will be a pleasant surprise.

In fact, I doubt it.
  • arrowspace90 likes this

#21 apexiturbodsm

apexiturbodsm

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:51 AM

I just grabbed this from Amazon the other day:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't had time to check it out, but it should do everything the as air can do, but with windows drivers / programs / support rather than being shoehorned into using only ZWO cameras AND being forced to use linux (all these rpi boxes are the similar - stellarmate, astroberry, asiair, etc). This little box that I got  should let me use all my windows programs from a box small enough to mount on the tripod, and you can remote desktop into it via either your PC or your tablet either on your network or via hotspot. To me it was a clear choice: Learn linux and be frustrated when my time I'm supposed to spend imaging is spent learning code and how to use obscure programs.... or get a windows box and just leave all that worry behind and use programs I'm familiar with. YMMV. If you're a linux guru you're probably laughing at me. But honestly. I only get so many clear nights and I'd rather spend them imaging then ironing out issues.

• OldManSky likes this

#22 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

Hhm,

many uncertenties - I`ve an Pro on preorder too - but no manual nor anything else more or less on the web?!!

It`s really a pitty that one has to buy just on adverts.... but no proof or credibilty from any user yet - no biased statements - because it`s not there yet! Making sure to sell the former unit on a flash to avoid losses - before they become a not wanted anymore item on which you loose a lot of money - even bought recently and like new in my case!

OK: Got as preorderer my pro cheap - could sell my former ASIAIR at almost no loss (2 month old - unused) - but discontinuing the old version just like that is really not smart! It was taken out of the shelfes from one day to the other worldwide!!

Moreover one feels like being in the dark with no info rather than the advertising!

Have bought the EAF, the ASI pro and an 183 MC colour cooled pro - did I made a mistake to relay on this company????

A non compabilty solution with other cameras etc. was known - but then it should work/a manual pre released - feel kind of beta tester - at first come along with the new software and then stuck with buggs??!

Interested in your thoughts and more over releases of info from ZWO - this is like playing in the dirt and I`m not amused to be left in a dark having spend so much money! I don`t want to learn in 6 month later all buggs are ironed - like being in the middle of a tunel - see a light at the end of it and be then happy it`s not a train!!

This is kind of Chinese surprise bisquets! Either you like what`s said or not! By the way I`m not a believer of such things - nice gimmick ... but so what?

I`m myself in sales and if I would treat my customers like this - I would be out of business for sure!

Good product support, knowledge, honesty, personality, top products and service is what my customers expect from me - this all kept me in business sucessfully for the last 35 years!

OK - looking how it turns out!  Cheers  Oliver

One would have to ask....Why did you buy it unseen, untested until the bugs are removed then..?

#23 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

One would have to ask....Why did you buy it unseen, untested until the bugs are removed then..?

...simply because I got a very good price as a preorderer.... and I think bugs can be fixed over time.

#24 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:14 AM

I guess the bugs will be worked out over time, as the amateurs find them and report them. Then ZWO will implement bug fixes that you can download onto the SD card to fix any errors.

Its a game of wait before you buy and miss out on all the fun, or buy at the onset and hope it works and enjoy it as one of the first buyers. I will buy it as a first time buyer, but not before I try out the ASIair original to get some practice first.

• arrowspace90 likes this

#25 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

I guess the bugs will be worked out over time, as the amateurs find them and report them. Then ZWO will implement bug fixes that you can download onto the SD card to fix any errors.

Its a game of wait before you buy and miss out on all the fun, or buy at the onset and hope it works and enjoy it as one of the first buyers. I will buy it as a first time buyer, but not before I try out the ASIair original to get some practice first.

Are you going to try and dump your laptop?  Do you already have the ASIair?  I heard ZWO doesn't sell them now.  If you found an unsold one, would they still give you the trade in when you get the Pro?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics