•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It looks like an ETX (very much) but it is not.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zanxion72

zanxion72

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

Have you ever came across the Bresser Messier MCX-102? It looks quite like a Meade ETX-105 except the hand controller, the white on the OTA and the finder!

https://www.bresser....cope-EQ-AZ.html

The field tripod is missing just the "Meade" logo! Other than that it is just like the Meade Deluxe Field tripod #884!

(o.k. and that metal accessory tray)

And the 127 version:

https://www.bresser....cope-EQ-AZ.html

Edited by zanxion72, 03 January 2020 - 07:37 AM.

#2 WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:26 PM

There is no doubt that the same manufacturer is making these scopes. It's simply a matter of who it is and how good the software is on this one. There's also no doubt that's an older Meade eyepiece. Becomes a matter of simply doing the math. ;)

Edited by WilsonFlyer, 03 January 2020 - 02:28 PM.

#3 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

Looks like the base of the Bresser model is the same base as the old ETX telescopes. 

The newer ETX 90 and 125 from Meade have the ridges in the base and the power and input ports are located on the fork arm. The power and inputs on the Bresser are on the base, identical to the now ancient ETX 90 and 125. 

#4 alval

alval

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Yes it looks like who ever was making the old etx before meade stopped producing them around 2012 or so had a load of parts left over and they were put together for someone else. I have the new one from 2016 the only thing the same as the newer one I can see is the plastic spreader for the tripod. The newer one is totally different inside with bigger gears no hard stops etc. Meade did get rid of some of the annoyances of the older etx mount. One would have to think this is older technology made to look new. 

Al

#5 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

I too would say that that 127 model is an ETX 125 EC model with a different hand control. 

• zanxion72 likes this

#6 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:23 PM

Never seen either of those before but they're definitely ETX knock offs with white OTAs and different hand controllers.

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

Well, Bresser is a Jinghua (JOC) controlled brand, as is ES. Thus I would expect these are based on products that JOC made for Meade. The first generation of ETX OTAs were made in the U.S., then Mexico. With Meade buying much of its line from Synta, they may have sold the rights to the old ETX tech to JOC, which lost out in the competition to buy Meade to Sunny. Or prehaps JOC never transferred the rights to Meade.

There was some sort of understanding with JOC and pre-Sunny Meade involving the use of Autostar tech for ES's version of the LXD75. Also iOptron mounts used components found in the DS2000 mounts. The last iOptron catalog I saw featured a lot of JOC products. so I assume there is some association between them. The MCX's hand control lokks a lot like an iOptron unit.

No reason the optics can be as good as the original ETX's, but the proof is in the pudding. Wish they'd gotten rid of the visual back assembly, though.

#8 zanxion72

zanxion72

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:18 PM

I am wondering if that hand controller is any compatible with the Autostars. Moreover, I am thinking if these would mean fresh spare parts for the EXT-105 and ETX-125. Their 127 is available for pre-order only. It makes me think that they wait first to see their 102 how it is going to sell and if it goes well, the 127 will become available.

Their user's manuals are funny! They are a mix of German and English! It makes me wonder if that level of quality is al over them. Also, many drawings are plain copies of those found in the 90-105-125 ETX user's guide.

Edited by zanxion72, 05 January 2020 - 02:26 PM.

#9 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:38 AM

I like the hand controllers : multi line LCD display, I wonder how much of the Autostar code does it have in it...  would be nice if it could control other models like a LX90...  

• adiastra and zanxion72 like this

#10 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:18 AM

I like the hand controllers : multi line LCD display, I wonder how much of the Autostar code does it have in it...  would be nice if it could control other models like a LX90...

Was thinking the same thing.

I am thinking if these would mean fresh spare parts for the EXT-105 and ETX-125.

Moreover if there are any engineering improvements or materials upgrades.

Edited by aperseghin, 08 January 2020 - 10:18 AM.

• zanxion72 likes this

#11 alval

alval

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

Was thinking the same thing.

Moreover if there are any engineering improvements or materials upgrades.

I wouldnt think so, but perhaps the quality control is a bit better and it seems a bit odd, because this looks like a discontinued mount, and the new observer series mount was totally redesigned to fix the noted issues around hard stops, small gears, and plastics etc. 

But I have been known to be wrong so time will tell when someone buys it.

Al

#12 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

I wonder if this exists because Meade sold this portion of the company either as manufacturing capacity, patents or some other deal to help pay off their debts. 

#13 Boom

Boom

Messenger

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

I like the hand controllers : multi line LCD display, I wonder how much of the Autostar code does it have in it... would be nice if it could control other models like a LX90...

They look like the same controllers used by Explore Scientific.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics