•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Horsehead Nebula

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

While observing with my 15-inch at the local club's observing site to the west of Mobile Ala., I decided to try and see if I could see the Horsehead and to my surprise, it was unmistakably visible in the eyepiece. I used an 18mm Explore Scientific 82 degree eyepiece and a Orion hydrogen beta filter to observe this nebula while keeping Alnitak just outside of the field of view. The drawing itself is a pencil drawing I scanned and inverted in Photoshop.

Taras

Attached Thumbnails

• ic-434 and b-33_horsehead nebula.jpg

• Sol Robbins, Carol L, Asbytec and 19 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

Impressive!

• Thorkill likes this

#3 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:37 AM

Impressive!

Thank you! I was very surprised to see it from a light polluted area.

Taras

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

picasso go to bed.

wow really pretty.

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

Taras,

Very fine sketch of The Horsehead Nebula smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

Taras,

This is a nice sketch of the illusive B 33 dark nebula.

I have only seen it once with my 18 inch scope. Never sketched it.

Have you tried the more difficult cone nebula?

That one has defeated me.

Fine post.

Frank :)

#7 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

Taras,

This is a nice sketch of the illusive B 33 dark nebula.

I have only seen it once with my 18 inch scope. Never sketched it.

Have you tried the more difficult cone nebula?

That one has defeated me.

Fine post.

Frank smile.gif

I have but have yet to see it. Nights good enough to see the Horsehead are rare in coastal Alabama, and I'll need a lot darker site to see the Cone with a 15-inch. It is on my to do list though.

Taras

#8 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

Impressive observation! I have seen B33 many times (even with my 10" scope), but you managed to see the "neckline" of the horse, I have never succeeded in that (it looks like a "fist" to me most of the time...)

Regards, Martijn

#9 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

Very impressive sketch full of detail, beautifully done!

#10 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:50 AM

I know how hard observations of B33 are. This is a real great sketch with a rather moderate aperture for this object. Did you use any filters?

#11 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:27 AM

This is a great sketch.

I was lucky to see it about a month ago. Your sketch is spot on. Very nice

#12 pedrovillamiel

pedrovillamiel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alcorcón, Madrid. España

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

Good observation and good drawing. No doubt the H alpha filter helped.
Recently I observed it in a 12 '' tube and UHC filter with less definition.
Greetings. Fart

#13 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

> No doubt the H alpha filter helped.

H beta is needed for B33.

The h alpha line is the one we use for solar observations.

#14 FRANC LILL

FRANC LILL

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 60km south of Bordeaux

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:16 AM

Taras,

The mythical horse head nebula is really a big challenge to decipher it with behind the eyepiece. Sky darkness and especially transparency are the best assets but as you say Hbeta filter can help. I had the exceptional chance to perceive it a year ago from south France with my 16" just with an Ethos 13 without any filter. Your drawing reminds me of the vision I had of it. You did well, well done!

Francis

#15 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

I know how hard observations of B33 are. This is a real great sketch with a rather moderate aperture for this object. Did you use any filters?

I used an Orion hydrogen beta filter. Without it, it would have been impossible to see it from where I was observing. At that, I have seen it through a 10-inch at a much darker site, again with an hydrogen beta filter. From there, it was not visible through that scope without it. It's definitely easier to see through a 15-inch than a 8 or 10-inch at the same site.

Taras

#16 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Messenger

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Very impressive. I was wondering what it would take to see this Nebula visually aside from just very dark skies. Great sketch!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#17 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South East UK, Greater London, Bottle 5

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

I have nothing to add other than "good job" as well as that I love how faint and silhouetted this nebula is...I find that really beautiful in a weird way. It just seems so faint and fleeting...it must be a real rush to see it through an eyepiece.

Sadly, I have more chance of winning the lottery then ever seeing this particular DSO from my light polluted skies with my XT8.

Cheers

Sent from my N10 using Tapatalk

#18 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:34 AM

Jeremy Perez, a one time very active member here sketched the horsehead nebula from northern Arizona.

He used a 6" f/8 scope under very dark skies. He actually sketched it more than once and shows the sketches and  describes it here.

http://www.perezmedi...ves/000379.html

Frank

#19 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

I have nothing to add other than "good job" as well as that I love how faint and silhouetted this nebula is...I find that really beautiful in a weird way. It just seems so faint and fleeting...it must be a real rush to see it through an eyepiece.

Sadly, I have more chance of winning the lottery then ever seeing this particular DSO from my light polluted skies with my XT8.

Cheers

It's very faint, but if you have a dark enough site with clear, moonless skies, it is possible to see the Horsehead, but it will be a dark notch in a strip of dim nebulosity that has a sharp edge on one side, but fades to nothingness on the other gradually. Your eyes need to adjust to the darkness and you'll want to look for it when Orion is high in the sky. A hydrogen beta filter will help a great deal, and it works on other weakly energized nebulae such as the Cocoon and California nebulas. If you look near Alnitak and can see NGC-2024, it means you have a shot at the Horsehead. If NGC-2024 or the Flame nebula is not visible, you can be sure there is no chance of seeing the Horsehead. In both cases, keep Alnitak out of the field of view so its glare does not interfere.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 06 January 2020 - 06:59 PM.

#20 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South East UK, Greater London, Bottle 5

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:29 PM

It's very faint, but if you have a dark enough site with clear, moonless skies, it is possible to see the Horsehead, but it will be a dark notch in a strip of dim nebulosity that has a sharp edge on one side, but fades to nothingness on the other gradually. Your eyes need to adjust to the darkness and you'll want to look for it when Orion is high in the sky. A hydrogen beta filter will help a great deal, and it works on other weakly energized nebulae such as the Cocoon and California nebulas. If you look near Alnitak and can see NGC-2024, it means you have a shot at the Horsehead. If NGC-2024 or the Flame nebula is not visible, you can be sure there is no chance of seeing the Horsehead. In both cases, keep Alnitak out of the field of view so its glare does not interfere.

Taras

That's what makes it so cool in my mind. The fact that it's really only visible because it's occluding the brighter area. I have never seen anything under very dark conditions and have very high expectations from all the threads I have read here. I can't wait to get to a dark site with my XT8...gah

Cheers

#21 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

That's what makes it so cool in my mind. The fact that it's really only visible because it's occluding the brighter area. I have never seen anything under very dark conditions and have very high expectations from all the threads I have read here. I can't wait to get to a dark site with my XT8...gah

Cheers

It's possible to see it through an 8-inch, but it will be more like a small notch or bite out of IC-434 than a horsehead.

Taras

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics