•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TeleVue Pronto New to me

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

I found this beauty up for sale on a non-astro site. Didn't really need it but the price was super low and what the heck.

It came with a Starbeam (old style), case, Ultima 30mm eyepiece, TeleVue Zoom 8mm-24mm, clam shell, and a 2 inch old style  TeleVue diagonal.

Everything is in great shape except the case. I have not been able to fully inspect the case, but I feel like the material is breaking down. Such as, there was little black dust on everything which I think was coming off the top of the case.

However, the scope looks almost unused, and the eyepieces cleaned up very nicely. The focuser is perfect and very smooth. 

I have not tested out the Starbeam yet. But I did focus the scope at a wall in the house and it looked perfect. Seems like a nicely designed scope and is on par with the TV85 I once used. Raining out so have not gotten under the stars with it.

pronto

Edited by GOLGO13, 03 January 2020 - 08:44 PM.

• Scott Beith, Scott in NC, stevew and 15 others like this

#2 Jim R

Jim R

Vostok 1

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Lucky Dog!

#3 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

Hope that you enjoy it.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:13 PM

I have not tested out the Starbeam yet. But I did focus the scope at a wall in the house and it looked perfect. Seems like a nicely designed scope and is on par with the TV85 I once used. Raining out so have not gotten under the stars with it.

Sounds like you got a great deal.. :goodjob:

I had a Pronto. I had a lot of fun with it. Mechanically, the Pronto is the equal of the TV-76 and 85, some basic build.  Optically, they have CA issues and some of the early one's had cemented lenses that can have issues. 

Jon

• 25585 likes this

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

nice

#6 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

Sounds like you got a great deal.. goodjob.gif

I had a Pronto. I had a lot of fun with it. Mechanically, the Pronto is the equal of the TV-76 and 85, some basic build.  Optically, they have CA issues and some of the early one's had cemented lenses that can have issues. 

Jon

Jon,

Any idea on the serial numbers that have the potential? This one seems good to go at this point.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:58 PM

Jon,

Any idea on the serial numbers that have the potential? This one seems good to go at this point.

I don't.  I have just read about it here.  You might call TeleVue, they might be able to help. What is the serial number of your scope?  

I should add that it did a lot of digiscoping with my Pronto. I got many nice photos, some were bit by the CA bug. 

1969047-stellars Jay CN.jpg

This the Photo I used for my Avatar, it was taken with a Pronto.  It's a Stellar's Jay.  I guess that could be short for Stellar Jon.. :)

Jon

• Traveler, Delta608, Kutno and 4 others like this

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

I don't.  I have just read about it here.  You might call TeleVue, they might be able to help. What is the serial number of your scope?

Jon

So kind of an early one it appears. But not super early.

#9 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:12 PM

As sad as it sounds, I'm actually very interested is how the CA is on it. I've read about this in the past. And it sounded like some were better than others. 

Why I think that's going to be fun I don't know. But feels like a collector's item and the history of it is a bit exciting.

I know the 30mm Ultima is a nice eyepiece and I've wanted one for quite awhile. Anyone have thoughts on the TV 8mm-24mm zoom? Since I don't have a zoom I figure it's a nice thing to have. Especially for terrestrial observing which this scope would be good for. I do a lot of that type of observing here in WV. It's fun to go to Seneca Rocks (great area and has dark skies) and watch the rock climbers on the rocks.

Anyone have any thoughts on sealing the case? I think the padding is breaking down to dust, and there is just mesh holding on the padding. I don't mean the padding that is foam inside, but the padding on the very top of the case. I will inspect it more when i have some time.

• tony_spina likes this

#10 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:17 PM

Mine is in 5xxx it was a cemented lens.  It had issues and I had Tele Vue swap the cemented lenses to air spaced lenses.  The CA is much better controlled.  Star test shows very good inside outside focus rings

#11 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:18 PM

As sad as it sounds, I'm actually very interested is how the CA is on it. I've read about this in the past. And it sounded like some were better than others. 

Why I think that's going to be fun I don't know. But feels like a collector's item and the history of it is a bit exciting.

I know the 30mm Ultima is a nice eyepiece and I've wanted one for quite awhile. Anyone have thoughts on the TV 8mm-24mm zoom? Since I don't have a zoom I figure it's a nice thing to have. Especially for terrestrial observing which this scope would be good for. I do a lot of that type of observing here in WV. It's fun to go to Seneca Rocks (great area and has dark skies) and watch the rock climbers on the rocks.

Anyone have any thoughts on sealing the case? I think the padding is breaking down to dust, and there is just mesh holding on the padding. I don't mean the padding that is foam inside, but the padding on the very top of the case. I will inspect it more when i have some time.

You can call Tele Vue and order new foam

#12 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:21 PM

Mine is in 5xxx it was a cemented lens.  It had issues and I had Tele Vue swap the cemented lenses to air spaced lenses.  The CA is much better controlled.  Star test shows very good inside outside focus rings

I guess I'll just need to hope it holds up. Looked fine so far. Probably depends on moisture I would guess. And just things aging.

The inside foam looks kind of crappy, but still functional. It's the foam on the lid that is the issue from what I can tell. It's behind some mesh. Probably just breaking down with age.

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:08 AM

Anyone have thoughts on the TV 8mm-24mm zoom? Since I don't have a zoom I figure it's a nice thing to have.

I believe the TV 8mm-24mm zoom is based on the Vixen LV zoom. I have a Vixen LV Zoom and mine comes in a distant third when compared to the Baader Mark IV zoom and the Celestron 8-24mm.  It's just not that sharp and it's got the narrowest field of view.  

The TV-76 is essentially a Pronto with a 76 mm Objective and actual ED optics.  The Pronto was a 1992 design that was dropped after the introduction of the ED-80.. 

Jon 

#14 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:25 AM

I believe the TV 8mm-24mm zoom is based on the Vixen LV zoom. I have a Vixen LV Zoom and mine comes in a distant third when compared to the Baader Mark IV zoom and the Celestron 8-24mm.  It's just not that sharp and it's got the narrowest field of view.  

The TV-76 is essentially a Pronto with a 76 mm Objective and actual ED optics.  The Pronto was a 1992 design that was dropped after the introduction of the ED-80.. 

Jon 

Of course the TV-76 would be nice. It will be interesting to see how this one fares. I have not had an achromat in quite awhile. I did use one recently though. I got my dad the 70mm Orion (F10 I believe) quite awhile back. Which by the way isn't as bad a scope as one would think. It does surprisingly well at lower powers. 

I started out with an ETX 70...which actually did serve me well. But of course had pretty bad CA.

I also had a 102 HD Celestron achromat. While it had pretty bad CA, it was incredibly sharp on planets. 

But it has been awhile since I've owned one.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

My thinking about the Pronto goes like this:

Optically, it's the best 70mm F/7 is as good a 70mm F/7 achromat as can be made.  

I have owned one other very good fast achromat, Kowa 82mm F/6 spotting scope.  I think it was a TSN 821.. You can buy an updated version of the same scope, the TSN 82SV.  Barebones it's $800.. With a zoom eyepiece, its about $1150...

Scopes like these can teach one that there's more to refractors than color correction.. 

Jon

• Erik Bakker and Rick-T137 like this

#16 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

The Pronto will fit nicely in a TV 76 case.  These can sometimes be found used.

But it will also fit nicely in any number of Pelican type cases, especially with the diagonal removed.

Here is my 76 in a Pelican 1520:

Attached Thumbnails

• 71DBA375-43E2-4142-BF78-A00AE6D9B8C2.jpeg

• Scott Beith, Tim, Erik Bakker and 1 other like this

#17 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

You can download instructions for the Starbeam from Tele Vue.  I would suggest opening the battery compartment ASAP.  You will probably need to clean the contacts with sandpaper before installing new batteries.

#18 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

You can download instructions for the Starbeam from Tele Vue.  I would suggest opening the battery compartment ASAP.  You will probably need to clean the contacts with sandpaper before installing new batteries.

The batteries are clean luckily. But so far I don't know if it works. I really need an older manual as this is the original Starbeam without even the flip mirror. It's got two batteries in it. They were Energizer 357 in there (I think that's just the size). I put some new AG13s I had on hand, but nothing happened.

So not sure it's still working. It looks like it's in good shape physically.

#19 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

Check that...it's working now. I just had to clean the contacts in the battery department. 

That's good news as it's worth some money. Unless I just keep it. 

#20 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:27 AM

Wow...it's a great scope! At first I thought maybe something was up with the lens, but turned out to just be a slight bit of dew or something on the front. After cleaning it is perfect.

It's incredibly sharp and focus is very nice. So I can tell the quality is very high. At first I couldn't really tell if it had CA or not. At higher magnification I felt like I could see a bit. I had to put in my Astrotech 60mm to be sure. And yes, at high magnification there is a slight bit but certainly not offensive. So for daytime use I'd say it's pretty darn good.

My guess is the star test will be very good. But doesn't look like I will have clear skies for a bit.

I actually was kind of enjoying the zoom. It's certainly not bad to use, but probably not the best thing. However, I can see this being very useful for terrestrial observing. 

The 30mm Ultima is nice also.

So far it's really worked out. Now I'll just have to tackle the case. Cleaning it up and possibly redoing the foam on the top and bottom of the case. I think those areas are just breaking down and turning to dust.

• Scott Beith, Scott in NC, Erik Bakker and 2 others like this

#21 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

It is a really nice red dot finder. I like mine, and use it a lot.

You can buy the mirror from Tele Vue, if you want one. I have one, but don’t use it much.

BTW, the Pronto makes a really nice solar scope. Just add a Baader film to the objective or a Quark to the diagonal.

#22 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

http://ensoptical.co...e?search=Pronto

But there are better small cases with better protection. A small hard case is ideal.

#23 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

Good find! I love my Pronto, which I've had for around 20 years.

My only complaint might be that the ota is mostly (see below) overbuilt- it's a shockingly heavy scope for the aperture, and that makes it somewhat more difficult to mount super-rigidly than a lighter scope of similar  aperture.

While the ota, cell, and focuser body are indeed overbuilt, the Achilles's heal of the scope (assuming the older cemented doublet doesn't fail first) might be the nylon sleeve the focus tube slides in/on. It's somewhat prone to wear, and is fairly difficult to replace by the consumer due to the very tight fit when the material is new. This isn't really a deal breaker, but it does make older scopes more dependent on the somewhat simplistic focus tension/lock screw to prevent gravity-induced defocus when using heavy 2" ep's and diagonals. I tend to wish TV had used some other way to create the bearing surfaces and tension adjustment for the focus tube.

But, otherwise, it's a superb achromat, and is one of my favorite double star scopes.

#24 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

My thinking about the Pronto goes like this:

Optically, it's the best 70mm F/7 is as good a 70mm F/7 achromat as can be made.  

I have owned one other very good fast achromat, Kowa 82mm F/6 spotting scope.  I think it was a TSN 821.. You can buy an updated version of the same scope, the TSN 82SV.  Barebones it's $800.. With a zoom eyepiece, its about $1150...

Scopes like these can teach one that there's more to refractors than color correction.. 

Jon

This waytogo.gif

While color correction in the Pronto is not up to the current ED offerings, sharpness is wonderful in the samples I've seen. And at low to medium powers at night, color is not much of an issue in these little rockets anyway wink.gif

• Jon Isaacs and ianatcn like this

#25 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

Good find! I love my Pronto, which I've had for around 20 years.

My only complaint might be that the ota is mostly (see below) overbuilt- it's a shockingly heavy scope for the aperture, and that makes it somewhat more difficult to mount super-rigidly than a lighter scope of similar  aperture.

While the ota, cell, and focuser body are indeed overbuilt, the Achilles's heal of the scope (assuming the older cemented doublet doesn't fail first) might be the nylon sleeve the focus tube slides in/on. It's somewhat prone to wear, and is fairly difficult to replace by the consumer due to the very tight fit when the material is new. This isn't really a deal breaker, but it does make older scopes more dependent on the somewhat simplistic focus tension/lock screw to prevent gravity-induced defocus when using heavy 2" ep's and diagonals. I tend to wish TV had used some other way to create the bearing surfaces and tension adjustment for the focus tube.

But, otherwise, it's a superb achromat, and is one of my favorite double star scopes.

Yes...certainly a bit over built and heavy. I theorize this maybe why this scope didn't appear to get much use. It was paired with an Orion Paragon tripod. While I expected to not have a use for that mount, it turns out it's pretty good and will be very nice with my 60mm. However, the pronto was too back heavy for that mount. But I have other mounts the Pronto will work well on.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics