•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TeleVue Pronto New to me

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:22 PM

Yes...certainly a bit over built and heavy. I theorize this maybe why this scope didn't appear to get much use. It was paired with an Orion Paragon tripod. While I expected to not have a use for that mount, it turns out it's pretty good and will be very nice with my 60mm. However, the pronto was too back heavy for that mount. But I have other mounts the Pronto will work well on.

I addressed the back-heavy issue by using a 4" slotted dovetail rail (ADM). The slots allow the rail to be shoved fore and aft on the clamshell. So between sliding the clamshell on the rial (I generally just keep it all the way rearward), sliding the ota in the clamshell (for gross balance), and sliding the dovetail fore-aft in the mount (fine balance), I can always get a balanced setup. This idea is similar to TV's Balance Aid that they sell in order to balance the Pronto on a Telepod with heavy 2" accessories. Because I like to switch between heavy 2" ep's for low power, and 1.25" ep's for high power, which are, of course, much lighter than 2" ep's, I use a TV Equalizer (a heavy brass 2" to 1.25" adapter) to help maintain balance.

• GOLGO13 likes this

#27 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

I addressed the back-heavy issue by using a 4" slotted dovetail rail (ADM). The slots allow the rail to be shoved fore and aft on the clamshell. So between sliding the clamshell on the rial (I generally just keep it all the way rearward), sliding the ota in the clamshell (for gross balance), and sliding the dovetail fore-aft in the mount (fine balance), I can always get a balanced setup. This idea is similar to TV's Balance Aid that they sell in order to balance the Pronto on a Telepod with heavy 2" accessories. Because I like to switch between heavy 2" ep's for low power, and 1.25" ep's for high power, which are, of course, much lighter than 2" ep's, I use a TV Equalizer (a heavy brass 2" to 1.25" adapter) to help maintain balance.

Exactly. I used the dovetail from my Astrotech 60mm, and it worked perfectly on my Dwarfstar. Turns out the Astrotech 60mm fits really nicely on the Orion Paragon that came with this scope. 

I actually think this is going to be a nice scope for me. Just have to think about what kind of a case I want to get. Or if I want to try and seal the foam that's falling apart on the original case. Not the foam insert (though that is not in great shape), but the ones behind some mesh on the top, bottom, and one of the sides. Otherwise black dust gets all over the place when in the case.

I also use the Equalizer and it works very well. My 34mm 68 paired with the equalizer is pretty close.

I wonder how good the diagonal is. It must be an early 1993 2 inch TeleVue diagonal. Seems fine so far.

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

I actually was kind of enjoying the zoom. It's certainly not bad to use, but probably not the best thing. However, I can see this being very useful for terrestrial observing.

I missed the fact that the zoom came with it. If you have have it, enjoy it. I thought you were thinking if buying one.. I think you get more for your money with other zooms..

As far as the soft-case, I have always thought it was the best case ever. The Pronto is a rugged little beast, the soft-case is more than sufficient. The scope is there with a few  eyepieces, diagonal in place, ready to go. 

I have the soft-case for my NP-101.. I also have the hard case. In the 10 years I've had the NP-101, it's traveled many thousands of miles. I've only used the hard case once, to transport a clock across the US as luggage..

Jon

• KerryR likes this

#29 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:20 PM

I was able to clean out the case and make it work. It's not pretty, but I don't really care. The original foam was pretty toasted. I'll keep it anyways, but I feel the replacement foam will do a better job.

Turns out it was the mesh on the top, side, and bottom that was falling apart. I took all the mesh out and cleaned it all out. It was quite an endeavor. The only spot that the mesh served a purpose was on the side. You can see the white foam which used to be under the mesh in the picture. I don't see an issue with it being free floating.

So while I can't fit any eyepieces with this setup, I think it's good enough. Plus I have my eyepieces in cases anyways.

If I end up selling it, I may put the original foam back in. But it's pretty well toasted.

pronto case

• eros312 and Colin exraaf like this

#30 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

Nice scope, I really enjoyed my Pronto back in the day! If you end up keeping the scope an Apache case from Harbor Freight would be a worthwhile investment. 

#31 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

I have another case I may check out for this. I have a case which I had my C6 OTA in. It would be a bit loose though probably.

Still, this actually is working pretty good and I probably could poke out a few holes for a few eyepieces.

#32 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:32 PM

Mine is the nice green tube. Serial number 6292. "Enjoy the view! - al nagler" handwritten on its operating guide pamphlet. Same as my TV Genesis has, but not on my TV 85 one frown.gif

My TV 85 is green too.

Prontos' ideal mount is the Telepod or Panoramic mount. I like its solidity. 

Edited by 25585, 05 January 2020 - 06:34 PM.

• Celerondon likes this

#33 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

Mine is the nice green tube. Serial number 6292. "Enjoy the view! - al nagler" handwritten on its operating guide pamphlet. Same as my TV Genesis has, but not on my TV 85 one frown.gif

My TV 85 is green too.

I LOVE the green ones. So wish I had one!! No idea why, but I've always loved those.

• Jon Isaacs, Celerondon and 25585 like this

#34 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

My TV 85 is green too.

I bought a Telepod when I bought my Pronto. Used it for years. Eventually, I put the Pronto on a heavy duty video tripod and a Porta II head. I was shocked at how much better the scope performed at high powers on doubles and planets, simply because of the reduction in focus-wiggles that I had developed a tolerance for over the years. I still like, and use, the Telepod tripod, though I've switched to a Dwarfstar head to make the tripod more usable with other scopes. When I really want to focus (tee hee) on threshold doubles, though, I switch to a heavier mount.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#35 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

First light under the stars. The scope is extremely sharp. The ultima 30mm is REALLY good on the Moon. No CA with that combination. Maybe a little yellow depending on eye placement. As magnification increased there was some CA but not terrible. I had a quick view of Venus over a few houses. With magnification lots of CA to be expected. Clouds rolled in on me, but got a few more views of the moon.

I'm going to call it a great scope! Heavy bugger but beautiful. Should be a keeper.
  • Scott in NC, Erik Bakker, eros312 and 3 others like this

#36 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:51 PM

Try a Baader semi -apo filter 

#37 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:15 PM

Honestly i'm not sure it's going to be necessary. Probably going to use it wide field in general. While I could use it terrestrial, I think my AT60 is a better scope for that. Lighter and more portable.

May use it for solar or just on display.

Not ruling out selling it sometime. But I need more views with it.

#38 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

My point being the views were pretty good except Venus which isn't much to look at usually. And I have plenty of scopes for that.

I had the something like the semi-apo filter (not sure if it was the same one) and didn't like how it changed the color profile. It does accomplish getting rid of the purple haze. For some reason I'm thinking it was a minus violet filter, but it was over 10 years ago.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#39 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:55 AM

My Pronto was one of the few scopes I really kick myself for selling !! , great build and my optics were actually very good but I had an ED80 as well and couldn't justify keeping both but I should have kept the pronto ,,, really airloom quality .

Great buy and please dont sell it as you WILL regret it .

Beanerds.

Attached Thumbnails

• 017 (2).JPG

• stevew, eros312, Colin exraaf and 2 others like this

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

My Pronto was one of the few scopes I really kick myself for selling !! , great build and my optics were actually very good but I had an ED80 as well and couldn't justify keeping both but I should have kept the pronto ,,, really airloom quality .

Great buy and please dont sell it as you WILL regret it .

Beanerds.

I was in the same position, a Pronto and an ED-80. I sold the Pronto.  I then got a deal on a WO 80 mm Megrez 2 FD and sold the ED-80.  Still have that one. 

I'd like to have a TV-76, the apo version of the pronto but I just can't justify the expense when I have a very good 80 mm and the np-101.

Jon

• stevew, beanerds, bbqediguana and 1 other like this

#41 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

My TV 85 is main sub-100mm now. But the Pronto is still here. Selling it against Chinese small scopes would lose too much money.

My TV 85 is a keeper, as is the Genesis, I guess Pronto too. 

• beanerds likes this

#42 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:13 PM

My Pronto was signed by Al Nagler... it's not going anywhere.  Well maybe with me to the land beyond grin.gif

• Erik Bakker and beanerds like this

#43 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

Second light shows very good star test. Near same on both sides. Some CA but it seems like it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. The lunar views are quite good at low powers. At 96x I can see CA on the edges fairly obvious.

I'd argue it maybe a bit heavy for my Dwarfstar. I'll use the Porta mount next time.

Nice little scope

• Jon Isaacs, stevew and eros312 like this

#44 gene 4181

gene 4181

Aurora

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

A little CA never hurt anyone  ,    smile.gif

• stevew and beanerds like this

#45 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:07 PM

A little CA never hurt anyone  ,    smile.gif

It does affect the contrast and sharpness. I think It was surprise these scopes were discontined soon after the introduction of the ED-80.

I remember comparing an ED-80 a friend had lent me to my Pronto. It was daylight and I was looking at a distant seed pod on a palm tree. The seed pod was maybe 18 inches in diameter and it was much at 70-80x in the Pronto. In the ED-80, it was crisp and sharp at 120x.

At the time, I even suggested grafting the ED-80 lens to the Pronto..

Jon

• m9x18, beanerds and gene 4181 like this

#46 gene 4181

gene 4181

Aurora

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:43 PM

My thinking about the Pronto goes like this:

Optically, it's the best 70mm F/7 is as good a 70mm F/7 achromat as can be made.  

I have owned one other very good fast achromat, Kowa 82mm F/6 spotting scope.  I think it was a TSN 821.. You can buy an updated version of the same scope, the TSN 82SV.  Barebones it's $800.. With a zoom eyepiece, its about $1150...

Scopes like these can teach one that there's more to refractors than color correction.. 

Jon

That  was  my thinking too Jon    ,

#47 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• Loc: Australia

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:10 PM

I've had this a little while...and recently nearly sold it.... came to my senses...!!

Absolute ' Mint ' Condition.

7.jpg

6.jpg

Col....

Edited by Colin exraaf, 18 January 2020 - 11:13 PM.

• 3 i Guy, Erik Bakker, plyscope and 4 others like this

#48 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:24 AM

I've had this a little while...and recently nearly sold it.... came to my senses...!!

Absolute ' Mint ' Condition.

attachicon.gif7.jpg

attachicon.gif6.jpg

Col....

Really nice in green! waytogo.gif

• Colin exraaf likes this

#49 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

Glad you came to your senses Col wink.gif

• Colin exraaf and 25585 like this

#50 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

Had two used Rangers, sold to finance Prontos, three of those over the years, all bought used ,the best of the bunch optics wise was an early pronto, air spaced objective but non compression ring focuser, all sold  to finance other stuff, when I look at the price of TV scopes now here in Canada  with the lousy exchange rate and 13% tax I kick myself for not keeping one, deep deep regrets,bawling.gif  Dave.

• bbqediguana and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics