•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TeleVue Pronto New to me

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Had two used Rangers, sold to finance Prontos, three of those over the years, all bought used ,the best of the bunch optics wise was an early pronto, air spaced objective but non compression ring focuser, all sold  to finance other stuff, when I look at the price of TV scopes now here in Canada  with the lousy exchange rate and 13% tax I kick myself for not keeping one, deep deep regrets,bawling.gif  Dave.

If I had been smart, I would have tried to buy one of those Prontos from you so you could at least visit with it from time to time! LOL!

Rick

• Binojunky likes this

#52 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:16 PM

Had two used Rangers, sold to finance Prontos, three of those over the years, all bought used ,the best of the bunch optics wise was an early pronto, air spaced objective but non compression ring focuser, all sold  to finance other stuff, when I look at the price of TV scopes now here in Canada  with the lousy exchange rate and 13% tax I kick myself for not keeping one, deep deep regrets,bawling.gif  Dave.

I like the Ranger-- it's weight is much more aligned with it's aperture than is the Pronto, which makes it considerably easier to rock-solid mount on light tripods (like the Telepod tripod), and I don't tend to use 2" ep's with my one-trip-out-the-door-with-everything setups anyway.  I sort of wish I'd gone with a Ranger back when I bought the Pronto for that reason. That said, I can't really imagine getting rid of my Pronto... unless I replaced it with a TV76...

#53 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:39 PM

If only TV did a Ranger using 76 optics, that would be a wonderful travel scope!

#54 alnitak22

alnitak22

Skylab

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

If only TV did a Ranger using 76 optics, that would be a wonderful travel scope!

That would be a TV60. But I have a Ranger and TV85. Yes, the 85 has better optics but it’s not like the Ranger is a dog. Such mountains out of molehills IMO. The Ranger is a great travel scope. It shows color on the moon around 100x...but it also shows the central crater in Plato and sometimes another. Detail along the Terminator is stunning. In Clavius as well. It easily shows the GRS on Jupiter and detail in the GRS hollow. Shadow transits are easy and I’ve followed Ganymede in transit over a good bit of the surface. The Cassini Division on Saturn is easy.  C Ring shows up around 100-120x.  Shadow of the globe on the rings also easy. Double double well split at 80x. Rigel at 60x. M45 in 24 Pan is stunning. 4 components of Sigma Orionius easy at 60x. Open clusters and southern Milky Way from a dark sky are amazing. Obsessing about perfect optics is a night wasted of actually observing. The way the light pollution is going ...we don’t have a lot of nights left.

• Erik Bakker, Celerondon and 25585 like this

#55 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

Second light shows very good star test. Near same on both sides. Some CA but it seems like it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. The lunar views are quite good at low powers. At 96x I can see CA on the edges fairly obvious.

… 

Nice little scope

Had to share:  Was out with the Pronto for about a couple of hours during the early part of this evening.  Atmosphere was spectacularly steady.  Before the temperature dropped to 39°, thereby making the gap between temperature and dew point begin to make the cushion of my viewing chair sopping wet, I experienced lunar views that were more than quite good at high power.  Had been waiting a long time to properly put a Vixen 2.4mm HR through its paces, and was very impressed with the way the Pronto and HR worked so well together at 200x.  No color at either the lunar limb or the edge of the eyepiece's field of view.  All lunar features displayed were tack sharp and bright.  Quite an achievement, considering the exit pupil.  A set of pictures in my mind's eye will not be forgotten.  Star tests were excellent.  Was enjoying the Moon too much to stray for too long from that target.        

• GOLGO13, eros312 and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics