•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starnavigator NG backlash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jessebear

jessebear

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Junction, CO

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

I received a Meade Starnavigator NG 102 over the holidays and I've been trying to get it properly set up. I'm learning when it comes to alignment and can't get it to track correctly either. I still need to train the drives and all of the 'extra' stuff Meade says to try.

I've never had a Go-to mount before so I guess I'm not sure how much backlash is typical of these units. Altitude has absolutely none, but azimuth can be moved a little under 2 degrees back and forth according to the mount's setting circle.

Any other NG owners out there? If it's normal I'll live with it and jump into some more tweaking or alter my techniques to minimize the effects. Just wanted to know what might be typical. Thank you all!

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

These scopes have crappy plastic gears, backlash is high and they are prone to stripping.

IMO return it, the StarNavigator NGs are terribly constructed for the price and a Celestron GoTo scope like the Astro-Fi or NexStar SE series is far better. Or get a Dob.....

#3 jessebear

jessebear

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

I had thought to return it, but it was a gift and I don't believe the original purchaser kept receipt materials. I'd read about some issues with these models and seen recommendations for Celestrons instead. I had actually planned to buy a dob on my own as well as a decent manual mount/tripod. Already bought those and waiting for first light. Just thought I'd do all I can to get the Meade up to snuff as well.

Worst case scenario is probably mounting the Meade OTA on my manual mount and shelving the Meade mount. I hadn't planned on getting a go-to mount anyway but it was a very kind gift and I'd like to make use of it.

#4 jessebear

jessebear

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

Well the receipt was located and I contacted Meade. They said the mount is defective and sent me out a new one. It arrived today and is much, much tighter than my existing mount. It would work great if it was the right mount, but unfortunately they sent the wrong one. I have a Starnavigator NG and they sent one labeled DS2000. Mostly the same except the colors are wrong (not a big deal) and the dovetail attachment is completely different than my existing mount. Here's hoping they'll send me the right one..

NLGFsSz.jpg
DVbxDuF.jpg
XlkpNLx.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics