•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

software to visualize the solar system from above

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 the_chemist

the_chemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

does anyone know of a program that can visualize and model the solar system from above the plane of orbits? I'd like to be able to visualize all the planets in their orbits, and then be able to jump around in time to see how the planetary alignments change. I'm sure all the major planetarium software has the data and programing for this, but I am only somewhat acquainted with stellarium, and that does not seem to that the capability. I also downloaded another interesting program called Celestia. That one can probably do it, but it is a very technical interface, and I'm not that savvy.  any ideas?

thanks,

Eric

#2 Brett Waller

Brett Waller

Ranger 4

• Loc: Staunton, VA

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Eric,

You can do something like that on the JPL Horizons web page using the viewer for the ephemerides. it allows you to view the system from just about any distance and angle.

Brett

#3 Waddensky

Waddensky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

SpaceEngine can do this. The latest version is only available on Steam but older versions can be downloaded for free from here.

Some apps have this ability too, SkySafari for example (I checked the Pro edition, not sure about the free version).

#4 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

For this, I prefer planets today.

https://www.theplanetstoday.com

There are passing mentions on the site of astrology but I guess they gotta pay the bills too.

Edited by wrnchhead, 04 January 2020 - 09:40 PM.

#5 catalogman

catalogman

Apollo

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:00 PM

Cartes du Ciel (a.k.a. Skychart) has a simple viewer under the View > Solar System Information tab.

--catalogman

Attached Thumbnails

• inner.JPG
  • outer.JPG

• Waddensky likes this

#6 Waddensky

Waddensky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:38 AM

Cartes du Ciel (a.k.a. Skychart) has a simple viewer under the View > Solar System Information tab.

--catalogman

Neat! I never noticed this feature in CdC.

#7 the_chemist

the_chemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

thanks everyone!

#8 StargazerTD

StargazerTD

Lift Off

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

https://www.heavens-above.com/ has a chart as well under Astronomy section listed as "Solar system chart"

Edited by StargazerTD, 08 January 2020 - 04:36 PM.

#9 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:40 AM

iOS apps from Emerald LLC can do this, both Observatory and Chronometer, though limited to naked-eye planets. Their 'Firenze' watch face shows the planets in heliocentric view, with the reverse showing the geocentric view. The 'Observatory' app is the one I use most.

Edited by luxo II, 26 January 2020 - 02:43 AM.

#10 AaronF

AaronF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Kstars can do it (unsurprisingly - Kstars can do everything!) - access it via the menu: Tools -> Solar system (or Ctrl+Y)

For an online tool, I have this bookmarked, and it still works: http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar

Edited by AaronF, 27 January 2020 - 02:12 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics