•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescope in “It Came From Outer Space”

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 hboswell

hboswell

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mississippi, USA

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:10 PM

This is an old movie I’d seen before, but I was watching it tonight and noticed the refractor in the opening scene. It looks like a fairly serious scope for 1953, anyone know what it was?

Harry

Attached Thumbnails

• 8359DBE7-7026-4DA1-BE80-84BD1BA72642.jpeg

Edited by hboswell, 04 January 2020 - 10:14 PM.

• zjc26138, Illinois, Sarkikos and 2 others like this

#2 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

You can watch a clip that includes the telescope at  https://www.youtube....h?v=8fHMMPXUE5I

Clear skies, Alan

Edited by Alan French, 04 January 2020 - 10:47 PM.

• BFaucett and SonnyE like this

#3 BFaucett

BFaucett

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:20 PM

There's another thread that was started today (Jan 4) about this scope and the movie in the "Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media" forum:

https://www.cloudyni...om-outer-space/

Some screenshots:

it-1.jpg

it-2.jpg

it-3.jpg

it-4.jpg

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

Edited by BFaucett, 05 January 2020 - 12:23 AM.

• Illinois likes this

#4 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

Found the movie online and took some screenshots. Second image is brightened a bit for a better view of that amazing back end assembly...

icfos_telescope_001.jpg

icfos_telescope_002.jpg

icfos_telescope_003.jpg

He uses the GEM's latitude adjustment as his altitude bearing; azimuth is the entire mount head turning loosely on the tripod. In fairness, It Came Without a Counterweight, so maybe that's the only way. But, I'm starting to think that this might be a nice-looking film prop, and not actually a functioning telescope at all...

• Paul Hyndman, zjc26138, 3 i Guy and 18 others like this

#5 AndresEsteban

AndresEsteban

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:28 AM

Film prop and not a real scope, that's for sure!

• Michael Covington likes this

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:38 AM

Hah! Yeah, entertaining! Somebody slapped together some surplus old scope parts and good enough for the take. The polar axis is horizontal etc. but who cares. Similar vintage Sci Fi movies sported all sorts of WWII surplus hardware that I recognized and laughed over. One was an R-390 Radio Receiver that we had used for Navy Sigint back in the day. I remember when a new guy would come onboard fresh from radio school --- we would intentionally throw all of the calibrations off and then watch him try to find an enemy signal. Then we'd sneak up from behind and wrap duct tape around the sailor's eyes and headphones and crank the incoming Morse Code volume all the way up and stand back laughing our arses off. [The guy would know enough to yank the plug outa the jack, rip the duct tape off, and then chase us all over the ship.] His eyebrows would grow back in a couple of months; by then, he would be the one training the next new guy.

Ummm... it was a military bonding hazing ritual. All high school guys reasonably assumed we were going to be drafted or preemptively enlist, but that the GI Bill would then fund our college, debt-free! Sweet deal and explains why today's vets have no tolerance for whiners.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 60 R-390A Radio Receiver.jpg

• George Blahun Jr, eros312 and ken30809 like this

#7 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:49 AM

I drew this homage to that ridiculous arrangement many years ago (much earlier than the copyright date).

Attached Thumbnails

• it.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, zjc26138, 3 i Guy and 13 others like this

#8 hboswell

hboswell

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:18 AM

Man, you guys looked at this a lot closer than I did!  And it's turned into a fun thread!  I had just seen another show where they had a nice Meade SCT that they used looking out a window from a brightly-lit room, so I was caught up in the "how great it must be to walk outside your desert home into a dark night sky with a big refractor" moment!

Harry

• BFaucett likes this

#9 hboswell

hboswell

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

Found the movie online and took some screenshots. Second image is brightened a bit for a better view of that amazing back end assembly...

attachicon.gificfos_telescope_001.jpg

attachicon.gificfos_telescope_002.jpg

attachicon.gificfos_telescope_003.jpg

He uses the GEM's latitude adjustment as his altitude bearing; azimuth is the entire mount head turning loosely on the tripod. In fairness, It Came Without a Counterweight, so maybe that's the only way. But, I'm starting to think that this might be a nice-looking film prop, and not actually a functioning telescope at all...

Joe, these are hilarious!  Would you mind if I shared them with some friends on Facebook?

Harry

#10 altair05

altair05

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

I've noted this before in this movie. Very funny. It looks like an equatorial mount with the polar axis horizontal. Maybe they were at the equator.

Here's another from Project Blue Book - a screen shot from the first episode. Dr Hyneck comes home with a present for his son - a small reflector. Says Mars is in opposition, sets it up and immediately centres the planet despite the scope not having a finder. His son takes a look and says "Wow".  ...however, the eyepiece is at the bottom and the mirror at the top. Getting excited examining the ground.

Bluebook.jpg

• zjc26138, doctordub, Sarkikos and 4 others like this

#11 hboswell

hboswell

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, I remember that scene.  Years ago, the local mall had a science store - I think it was called Discovery - that sold some telescopes.  I was in one day and saw that they had a 4.5" reflector, pointed at the floor, with the finder pointed up, installed backwards.  I pointed this out to the sales guy, turned the finder around, and pointed the scope up.  I was by there a couple of days later, and someone had put it back.  Science is hard!

Harry

• Galicapernistein, Sarkikos, eros312 and 3 others like this

#12 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

I've noted this before in this movie. Very funny. It looks like an equatorial mount with the polar axis horizontal. Maybe they were at the equator.

Here's another from Project Blue Book - a screen shot from the first episode. Dr Hyneck comes home with a present for his son - a small reflector. Says Mars is in opposition, sets it up and immediately centres the planet despite the scope not having a finder. His son takes a look and says "Wow".  ...however, the eyepiece is at the bottom and the mirror at the top. Getting excited examining the ground.

attachicon.gifBluebook.jpg

*If* they were in Oklahoma, he would be seeing red dirt......which would kinda look like Mars.

• BFaucett likes this

#13 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

Joe, these are hilarious!  Would you mind if I shared them with some friends on Facebook?

Harry

They're public domain as far as I'm concerned, heh...

And now a shot from Supernatural, season 6, episode 9...

supernatural_s6e9_800.jpg

Even the vaguest understanding of how a Newtonian works appears to be the rare exception. Even accounting for the thing's possibly unfamiliar appearance, one would think it intuitively obvious that the open end would go toward the sky, but whatever.

• zjc26138, Sarkikos, eros312 and 3 others like this

#14 hboswell

hboswell

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:09 PM

They're public domain as far as I'm concerned, heh...

And now a shot from Supernatural, season 6, episode 9...

attachicon.gifsupernatural_s6e9_800.jpg

Even the vaguest understanding of how a Newtonian works appears to be the rare exception. Even accounting for the thing's possibly unfamiliar appearance, one would think it intuitively obvious that the open end would go toward the sky, but whatever.

Hey, give 'em a break, they were looking for demons!!

• doctordub, gene 4181 and BFaucett like this

#15 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:46 PM

What happened to the original question? 

I'd love to know the identity of the scope. The finder brackets are fairly distinctive, and there may be more clues.

Clear skies, Alan

Edited by Alan French, 05 January 2020 - 05:26 PM.

#16 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

That telescope saw some Hollywood action as it was also used in the 1940’s Glenn Ford/Rita Hayworth movie “The Lady in Question” ( https://www.dvdtalk....395431498_2.png ) and apparently also in Bob Hope’s 1951 classic “The Lemon Drop Kid”.

Apparently, it is a real scope but the junk on the end was added by Hollywood I would assume to make it more impressive.  Supposedly it is a Lohmann Brothers Telescope.

https://www.cloudyni...vies/?p=9754354

Edited by BillP, 05 January 2020 - 08:02 PM.

• zjc26138, m9x18, Sarkikos and 4 others like this

#17 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

Unfortunately, the rings and finder are not mounted, but here's a 5-inch f/15 Lohmann Brothers OTA I owned for many years.  

5 Inch Lohmann Bros Enh SM.jpg

Clear skies, Alan

• zjc26138, stevew, Illinois and 8 others like this

#18 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

Mister Wilson had a Unitron 4-incher!!  

Here he is looking at Polaris in the daytime....

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 10.39.45 AM.jpg

Dave

• zjc26138, JIMZ7, jmclaugh2001 and 7 others like this

#19 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Love this one!

https://www.cloudyni...-1505738156.jpg

• ATM57 likes this

#20 hboswell

hboswell

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

Probably a Questar lol.gif

#21 Olhado

Olhado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

It isn't just old shows. Even modern, relatively 'hard' scifi gets it wrong!

(Full size: https://i.redd.it/t5qc741q89x21.jpg)

expanse_telescope_oops.jpg

• Sarkikos and j.gardavsky like this

#22 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

I always loved those 1950s Sci Fi alien movies. This movie along with The Thing with James Arness of Gunsmoke are hard to beat. The music was so eerie back then. Love seeing telescopes in movies or in modern commercials when you know nobody knows how to use them correctly.

Jim

• Steve C. and BFaucett like this

#23 bobhen

bobhen

Soyuz

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

Funny thread.

It Came From Outer Space is, of course, a classic 1950’s science fiction film, and a good film in its own right, especially considering the budget.

Interesting to note that the “astronomer” in the film smokes a pipe, as does the astronomer in When Worlds Collide, which also featured Barbara Rush, which is never a bad thing. This is probably because back then the popular image of an astronomer was associated with Edwin Hubble. LINK

It’s also interesting that we are all picking on the film because of how they are misrepresenting the correct use of the telescope but no one has mentioned the pulsating, traffic cone doohickey LINK that is supposed to be the alien’s light-speed drive.

Forget the telescope, I want that neon, traffic cone, light-speed drive thingy so I can “travel” to the stars instead of “just looking" at them.

Bob

• Paul Hyndman, eros312 and hboswell like this

#24 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:03 AM

Funny thread.

It Came From Outer Space is, of course, a classic 1950’s science fiction film, and a good film in its own right, especially considering the budget.

Interesting to note that the “astronomer” in the film smokes a pipe, as does the astronomer in When Worlds Collide, which also featured Barbara Rush, which is never a bad thing. This is probably because back then the popular image of an astronomer was associated with Edwin Hubble. LINK

It’s also interesting that we are all picking on the film because of how they are misrepresenting the correct use of the telescope but no one has mentioned the pulsating, traffic cone doohickey LINK that is supposed to be the alien’s light-speed drive.

Forget the telescope, I want that neon, traffic cone, light-speed drive thingy so I can “travel” to the stars instead of “just looking" at them.

Bob

Is that the film that Ray Bradbury had a hand in?

Heywood

#25 bobhen

bobhen

Soyuz

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

Is that the film that Ray Bradbury had a hand in?

Heywood

LINK

Bradbury submitted a treatment/outline finished to the point of almost being a complete screenplay. 

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics