•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Summer Milky Way mosaic

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:29 AM

I have finally found time to process this 4-plane mosaic of the region between Cygnus and Aquila. Coincidentally it can be considered my aniversary photo because I bought my Pentax 6x7 nearly exactly 10 years ago.  

mosvseden324den28.jpg

The shots were taken in 2018. The sky was covered by thin clouds nearly the whole season. This is why the stars are a bit hazy. Each plane was exposed for 40 min at f/4. The lens was Takumar 105mm and film Kodak E200. I used my homemade vacuum back to hold the film flat. The mount was aligned with the PARot program. The processing was the most difficult part. First I removed the vignetting and background gradients from each individual frame. I did it manually in Photoshop by selecting the dimmer/brighter areas and adjusting the levels. Increasing the contrast temporarily by an adjustment layer alowed me to make the corrections exactly. The mosaic was assembled in Photoshop again, using the photomerge function. This unfortunatelly doesn't leave a completely seamless result. After cropping the image there were some empty areas near the corners of the image. I had to fill them using the Content Aware Fill function. If you compare carefully the image with others, you can note that some stars don't match.  

Here is the photo in a higher resolution.

• zjc26138, Joe F Gafford, okiestarman56 and 8 others like this

#2 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

I'm not sure what I think about faking stars in the corners but if you hadn't said anything I would be none the wiser. Nice image in any case.  

• Simcal likes this

#3 jerobe

jerobe

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:10 AM

Excellent.  A lot of work was involved in this image! Thanks for sharing.

#4 Simcal

Simcal

Mariner 2

• Loc: Caledon, Ontario

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

I would agree with Alan, not sure we want to put fake data out there. Better just leave it accurate but incomplete.  Never know if it could be misinterpreted in the future by someone.

• Todd N likes this

#5 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

I like the overall look of the color you have there.

#6 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

Thanks all!

As for the fake stars, from my point of view almost anyone does astrophotography for science. Its main purpose is to produce aesthetically pleasing images and this is the rule I follow. If someone created a photo with two North American Nebulas, I would feel a bit heretic, too, but why not. We also have surrealistic paintings.

#7 whwang

whwang

Gemini

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:41 AM

Hi Michal,

This is a fantastic image.  It's really nice to see such a high-quality film image in the digital era.  Thank you for sharing.

I use content-aware fill or brushes to fill in small empty spots or to remove satellite tracks, all the time.  However, I don't use this to create bright stars or any noticeable bright objects.  Creating bunches of faint stars in small areas where there are supposed to be only faint stars, is not exactly scientifically correct, but does not hurt the value of a picture.  This helped me to catch those who steal my pictures too.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

#8 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

I love the rendering of your fine astrophotograph Michal.  The thin clouds enhanced the brightest stars nicely !  Good work and glad the E200 is holding up !  

Thanks for sharing your wonderful image!

Jim

#9 tuc

tuc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

The result is very beautiful, Michal.

#10 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

This is fantastic, there's just something about seeing this done with film for the sake of it that makes it all the more appealing.

#11 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:40 PM

wow

#12 Tony Pilato

Tony Pilato

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Danville, VA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

Congratulations! A great final image from many different steps.

Tony P

#13 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

Thanks all :) I hope to make more photos like this. My camera is expected to return from the service repair soon!

• tuc likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics