•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2005 Meade LX200 GPS has run in years. Need help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Hautz

Bruce Hautz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Edison Nj

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:38 PM

Hello all,  My scope and mount hasn’t seen the darkness of night in a very long time. Due to an illness.  Would anyone know what/if I have to worry about anything. When I fire it up again. I would think the on board battery would be dead.  An easy fix. I can’t imagine the amount of updates there will be. 
Any help will be greatly appreciated 

Thanks in advance

Bruce

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:43 PM

The small lithium battery inside (for the clock) will need replacing.  I wouldn't worry about software updates; if it used to work, it still works.  Just input the correct date, time, and location.

15 years is not long enough to expect electrolytic capacitors to fail.  If it hadn't been used for 30 or 40 years I would say replace electrolytic capacitors.

#3 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:51 PM

Hi Bruce.

Yes, there is a big update you must do because of the GPS rollover.

#4 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

If you have GPS then you have the option of updating to whatever version is correct, or, enter the menu and disable the GPS aspect then enter your own Location, Lat, Long, Timezone.

Actually half guessing no GPS so just do the manual entry, even if you have GPS disable it and do it manually.

Everyone seems to put Meades down, but here every club usues them and has used the same scope for many years in just about all cases.

#5 Bruce Hautz

Bruce Hautz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

Thanks I’m going to start another topic using laptops

#6 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

Apologies, just read it is an GPS mount.

Dig in to the menu tree and set the GPS option off.

Someone this side of the Atlantic found they had to do that and it was better, also quicker. Sometimes all thses extra bits do not necessarily make it easier.

Latest firmware is likely somewhat unimportant as my ETX's are both on 15-20 year old software - have no choice on the 70.

• Michael Covington likes this

#7 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

I bought a mothballed 16" LX200 GPS which was circa 2004.  The problem I ran into was the handcontrol showed garbage characters on boot up and never got into a stable menu.  If this happens to you do not fear immediately as you may simply need to reflash the firmware in the mount.  This will take a little time because the serial port runs at 9600baud but doing so saved my 16"   

The GPS unit battery only stores satellite positions.  It is a simple button battery and you can find out how to replace it via searches here or online in general.  
It is more than likely you'll need to run the latest patch but rather than using Meade's updater you can use Starpatch.  Search this forum for threads dealing with GPS updating. 

As has been said, the GPS can be turned off and you can manually input those figures if you do not want to do the update.  

If you really want to go through a whole inspection you can remove the right-hand arm and inspect the DEC motor drive grease and clean/replace if it looks dried out.  Same with the RA drive.  

• Bruce Hautz likes this

#8 Bruce Hautz

Bruce Hautz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:19 AM

Surveyor,  hopefully the grease that is supplied with the Peterson gear kit is still good.

#9 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK 73162

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

My LX200GPS i bought new in 2006. Used it pretty steady from then until 2011. From 2011 until Sept 2017, it stayed in a hot garage between Tucson and Phoenix and then in a storeroom here in Oklahoma City. When i started breaking it back out in 2015, before i did anything, i took it a part enough to wipe the original Meade grease from the gears and replaced it with white lithium grease. I did this due to it being in the heat for so long and didn't trust that the original grease would still be usable or even where it was supposed to be. I had to replace the hand controller as the original one the keys didn't survive the heat so well and were hard to push and would stick..the coiled cable also was cracking. After that, i had to replace the main board in it due to the power connector being too loose for a constant connection. I also replaced the viewfinder. Then it got stolen in Sept 2017...hahahaha

But insurance paid for it and i got a new LX200ACF both were/are 10". 

It ran pretty smooth with the new grease too i might add.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics