•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Visual observing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:55 PM

I see many great images here, great work guys.  However I am not seeing visual observations.  Anyone here observing visually?  

Today it's 38* f and so I tried viewing through a window, had nice views of a small loop prominence, could not see the AR.  Anyone else have a visual report?

• Scott Beith likes this

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

I'm a visual observer, but there's not been much to see on the Sun for years and now that it's finally waking up a little, it's mostly cloudy up here at 55N and the Sun barely crawls above the horizon. 

Things will hopefully be better in a few months.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Scott Beith, Terra Nova and dhkaiser like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

Usually people post a picture of what is there so will be a good number of images.

You will see people saying there is a new sunspot, for simple notification to others, but still others want an image.

Also for the sun I would guess a lot have soething to image it, we have only 1 and so getting an image seems to be reasonably quick.

Also with the general absence of features it can be a case of "I saw a sunspot, here is the proof, I am not making it up."

Will say one image a week or two ago looked as much like a gnat's dropping on the scope as a sunspot.

• Scott Beith and dhkaiser like this

#4 nativebowman

nativebowman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:26 PM

From Oregon, 45N I am able to see some orange peel effect on the surface but no prominences are visible, if I use my imagination I can see 2755. Condition are fair today and I am viewing thorough a double pane window, with a PST 40mm single stack Ha., and a 25mm eyepiece. Using GONG I can clearly see a nice pillar at 4:30 o’clock. Cheers…………   

At 10:30 a nice prom can be seen with the same setup and a 2X barlow.

Edited by nativebowman, 05 January 2020 - 04:24 PM.

#5 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I failed to mention I am using a LS60 and did have the motling visible across the disk along with the one prominence.  I was surprised I could as much as I did through the window.  Hopefully the activity will pick up soon.

Edited by dhkaiser, 05 January 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#6 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

I’m a visual observer in Central IL. when the sun shines.

Of coarse when the little bit of interesting stuff started on the surface I got an inner ear infection and have been in the house for 2 weeks now. On the mend now so when conditions allow I’ll be back out.

BD

• Asbytec and dhkaiser like this

#7 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

I was out today although I would not have been normally.  I just received my new LS60 back from Lunt after having it repaired.  It was 40* F and very windy with lots of clouds, but this was going to be the only chance to check that it was working properly.  I had to wrap the blocking filter with a dew heater and a dish towel.  So after much trouble seeing any detail, I brought the blocking filter back inside and let it heat up with the dew heater.  Much better contrast and details on the surface. I was able to see just one prom, hints of the AR and a small filament.

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:27 PM

I see many great images here, great work guys.  However I am not seeing visual observations.  Anyone here observing visually?  

Today it's 38* f and so I tried viewing through a window, had nice views of a small loop prominence, could not see the AR.  Anyone else have a visual report?

I do both. I like to binoview when I observe, makes proms look even more spectacular and there was a really great big bright one today!

Visually, AR2755 had a nice bright plage area with some activity, it flared minor flares a few times this morning around 10AM~10:30AM eastern time. There were three bright prominences that were large and noteworthy, quite impressive. I viewed at 52mm aperture visually and it was still impressive what could be seen.

Very best,

#9 hamishbarker

hamishbarker

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:29 AM

i observed today from nelson, new zealand at about 5.30pm (daylight savings) with my safe solar dob. it was really windy so I didn't hope for much in the way of seeing, but seeing was actually excellent! I could see plenty of orange peel effect and (I think) the active area.

my solar dob isn't set up for taking pictures as I have built it with very little back focus in order to minimise the area of the front filter glass (two way mirror set at 45 degrees) which gets used as the diagonal, in the hope that the little area might have less aberrations.

I have noticed similarly good seeing on a couple of other windy days. Although strong winds at night usually seem to give terrible night time seeing, during the daytime here it doesn't seem to preclude good seeing. perhaps at night, the ground inversion trying to form leads to a strong shear layer not far up, giving bad seeing, whereas in the daytime, the strong wind prevents much in the way of warm packets of air because the layer of air near the ground is so well mixed.

• dhkaiser likes this

#10 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

Yesterday I was testing out an 11” SCT with an Aries ERF in front and Solar Spectrum H-alpha filter in back (with and without a Lunt DS). ClearSkyClock said 1/5 seeing and I was looking out a dirty double-pane window, so it was blurry but the active region stood out with bright plage in kind of a squiggle shape and two small filaments below it. And a nice prominence. Great to see the activity coming back.

George
  • dhkaiser likes this

#11 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

I am visual only.   I use a single stack Lunt 80 with binoviewers and I observer almost every day. I also use a 106LE Apo and when there are sunspots, I take that out as well.  Just maybe 10 days ago, I posted about my observations of about seven or eight  sunspots in white light (one larger one with a nice light bridge and one that high magnication showed to be more of a cluster of small spots than a second spot), and about the plages around the active region.

Even single stack, I observe almost every day, and it is rare to go a day without some kind of prominence activity and even today, there were several small prominences, and one major one, and an AR but close to the limb so not well seen, but four filaments, two very small, and two that were very very very small. 

I remember that maybe three or four weeks ago, there was speculation that we would be in some extended minima, but the scientist were already saying that the new cycle was beginning, and my response to that sentiment was that I expected that by summer, there would be a something pretty regularly, but we are already seeing the early ramp on the cycle.

I see something almost every day though. Sometimes it is not much, but it is rare to look and not see at least some small prominence activity. 

Edited by Eddgie, 07 January 2020 - 07:31 PM.

• Terra Nova and dhkaiser like this

#12 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

Real nice prominence NE limb right now.

#13 twjs

twjs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NWNJ

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

I'm a visual observer, but there's not been much to see on the Sun for years and now that it's finally waking up a little, it's mostly cloudy up here at 55N and the Sun barely crawls above the horizon. 

Things will hopefully be better in a few months.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

I live in a valley and the Sun is too low to get a clear shot over the ESE ridge unless the seeing is exceptional, lately it has not been.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics