•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 GPS and the newer laptops

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Hautz

Bruce Hautz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Edison Nj

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

Hello all,  my scope was purchased in 2005. Seeing I have used it in quite awhile. How will it connect to the new laptops. Before I put it away it has complicated to get the mount to talk the newer version of windows. At the time I hade to run a virtual XP on windows 7.  Is it still the same way or does Meade have the ability to communicate to to Windows 10?

thanks in advance

Bruce

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

I update my club's LX200 GPSs with Windows 10 without a problem. Use the latest Autostar Suite.

#3 rferrante

rferrante

Clearline Technology Corp.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, California

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

All new laptops have USB connectors and no RS-232 serial connectors. On your old computer you might have used USB or you might have used serial, but today USB has replaced serial ports on virtually all computers and especially laptops.

You'll need a USB-to-serial adapter cable wired correctly for the Meade controller. If your adapter uses the FTDI chip, Windows 10 is what you want to run, it should have a driver for it already, or, you can download a driver from the FTDI website. Then your software will see the adapter cable as a normal COM port.

Some other brand of USB-to-serial adapter chips might work as well, but I don't have experience with them.

--Rob

#4 Bruce Hautz

Bruce Hautz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

After further searching around seams there wireless connections. Anyone have any use with them

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

You know I don't know if I've heard of anyone having success using wireless to do an update.  

In my experience you should always update using a wired connection to avoid any drops in information exchange. 

The biggest issue which has been around with Win10 and telescopes is the Win10 port protocols which have required specific Win10 cords or finagling the drivers for USB to overcome the latest Win10 port drivers.   

When I updated my 16" I used a Win7 laptop, USB-DB9/RS232 converter and custom RJ45 cable I made.  I used Meade updater as that was the only one I was aware of at the time.  The issue with the Meade updater is it only allows updating to the current Meade offering which for the USB update can be a problem.  Using Starpatch you can update to whatever firmware you choose.  

#6 SJMarty

SJMarty

Sputnik

• Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

On the subject of USB to serial cables, I have an old Prolific PL-2303HXA that I tried tonight in Windows 10 and found out that it's not supported any longer.  Since I need to purchase a new one, can anyone suggest some specific ones that are known to work for managing the AutoStar using Windows 10?

-Steve

#7 Bruce Hautz

Bruce Hautz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

Next question.  Should I upgrade the scope via a 

PC or should I purchase a new laptop

#8 dreeves2015

dreeves2015

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK 73162

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:23 PM

On the subject of USB to serial cables, I have an old Prolific PL-2303HXA that I tried tonight in Windows 10 and found out that it's not supported any longer.  Since I need to purchase a new one, can anyone suggest some specific ones that are known to work for managing the AutoStar using Windows 10?

-Steve

I use the Meade serial to USB cables...worked in all versions of Windows from 2006 to now with Windows 10 Pro x64 and Windows 10 Home x64. That is through a year old HP laptop as well as my desk top. Oh and that was with my original LX200GPS which i bought new in 2006 and now my new LX200ACF which i bought in late 2017 and just now starting to use. Have connected both the scope and the Meade DSI antique CCD camera through the new scope and the HP with Meades software and Starry Night Pro 8 with the scope itself. No issues.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics