•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Poor QHY repair service; this is a slow boat to China

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:06 AM

I sent my camera back over two months ago.  They told me they had to replace a circuit board over a month ago.

Still no camera returned. I have had to email them for info. They never informed me that they even received the camera.

Remember the don't celebrate holidays until late January. So this is not a factor.

I don't think I can to buy another QHY camera after this experience.

Max Mirot

• Jim Waters likes this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

QHY is a major supplier of professionals, we're a sideline. 

"QHYCCD designs and manufactures high-performance scientific grade CMOS and CCD cameras. The QHY line of products include thermoelectrically cooled cameras, high- resolution scientific grade cameras, astronomical imaging cameras, digital X-ray machine DR cameras, and solar, industrial and laboratory cameras."

ZWO concentrates on us.

Edited by bobzeq25, 06 January 2020 - 09:23 AM.

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:27 AM

I had pretty much the same bad experience with QHY. I needed my 16200A to be checked out and the fan replaced. It took them 4 weeks to do the repair from the time that they got the camera. They do have a US depot where you can send the camera but that depot does not appear (to me) to do any repairs. At the same time, it took about the same amount of time to have my ASI1600 motherboard replaced - 4 weeks from the time that they got it. So, I would not rate either company as top notch when it comes to warranty service. I had much better luck with my old SBIG STF8300 which took two weeks to have a motherboard replaced about 5 years ago. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle and Gene3 like this

#4 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

QHY is a major supplier of professionals, we're a sideline. 

"QHYCCD designs and manufactures high-performance scientific grade CMOS and CCD cameras. The QHY line of products include thermoelectrically cooled cameras, high- resolution scientific grade cameras, astronomical imaging cameras, digital X-ray machine DR cameras, and solar, industrial and laboratory cameras."

ZWO concentrates on us.

I have had good service with both FLI and SBIG (and others).    Both FLI and SBIG have or had large base of professional and industrial customers.   They gave great service either way.

Really, this is not a good excuse for bad service. 

The US depot only forwards the camera to China. This is so we don't have the headache of dealing with customs. These are simple cameras.

My FLI had to be purged with Argon gas. They managed to return repairs in less than two weeks. 

#5 liqinyang-QHYCCD

liqinyang-QHYCCD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

I sent my camera back over two months ago.  They told me they had to replace a circuit board over a month ago.

Still no camera returned. I have had to email them for info. They never informed me that they even received the camera.

Remember the don't celebrate holidays until late January. So this is not a factor.

I don't think I can to buy another QHY camera after this experience.

Max Mirot

Dear

I asked the maintenance engineer, and now the camera is being cleaned up. We can send it to you this week.

Please later

Yang

• psandelle likes this

#6 andysea

andysea

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:13 PM

When I had issues with a QHY camera that I no longer own, I opened two service tickets on their website. This was probably a year or so ago. I haven't received a follow up yet.

• rgsalinger likes this

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

I tried that as well. It took something like a week to even get a response. After that when they repaired the camera it was returned without the OAG and the original packaging that I sent them. Oddly the camera was repaired in Hong Kong and not in Beijing where QHY claim to be based. In the end it was all good but it certainly was a bizarre experience, unlike any repair I've ever had on any product in my entire life. 

Rgrds-Ross

• Calypte likes this

#8 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:01 AM

Thanks Yang. Looking forward to having the camera back.

Max

• bugbit likes this

#9 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:43 AM

FWIW My experience with QHY support has always been excellent.

#10 Ted Dobosz

Ted Dobosz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney Australia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:58 AM

I had excellent service and repair on my QHY16200A camera.  So no complaints from my perspective.

Ted

#11 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

I'm curious about what "excellent" means. How long did it take? What happened when you put a ticket into their system? I'm sure I'll need service again and I'd love to know how to engage them better in the future.

Rgrds-Ross

#12 Jaspalchadha

Jaspalchadha

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

I do testing for Qhy and have owned many products over the past years. I live in London and when things go wrong well.... different time zones and parts take along time to ship over.

It’s a slow process but will only get better over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Ted Dobosz

Ted Dobosz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney Australia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

I'm curious about what "excellent" means. How long did it take? What happened when you put a ticket into their system? I'm sure I'll need service again and I'd love to know how to engage them better in the future.

Rgrds-Ross

I was an early adopter of the QHY16200A so it is quite some time ago but the sequence of events as I recall.

I put a ticket in the system and also sent an email. I got an email the next day saying they wanted to do a live connect to my system as I was running things.  A time was arranged and we connected, they tested camera that day and said there was a problem with the cooling function and to return it. I got details from the technician during chat who said to send it back to the distributor. I contacted my supplier in Australia and asked what level of postage insurance should I get because it cost a bomb. He reassured me to just use basic postal tracking and signature plus minimal insurance.  It saved me plenty of $$.  I sent the unit back to him with the details from the China technician.  Within about a week the camera was returned, all good.  The supplier indicated it actually went express back to China?  So who knows how this was possible?.. lol

Second time round the on/off switch failed. I contacted them and they suggested if I want to get it sorted quickly i.e. not send the camera back, that they gave me permission to replace the switch myself.  They sent me instructions, pictures and link to  a $5 replacement switch etc. 30 minutes later I had the job done, no down time.

So whilst I was not particularly happy with these two events, their response was commendable.  The camera has not skipped a beat since those issues.

Ted

• psandelle and OrionSword like this

#14 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

These forums seem to have some short memories...

Oh, do I remember numerous threads over the years where "top notch" manufacturers took forever, sometimes over a year, to even ACKNOWLEDGE they had a flaw in their hardware...let alone fix it in just 4 weeks. In one or two of these instances, the "fix" was an on-request-only patch that the customer had to ask for. Announced only in a small public relations note. Some people ran into these problems for years after they were finally acknowledged and resolved, as not everyone was party to the threads here on CN where the issues were hashed out. 

I also know of numerous instances where people have sent equipment to Nikon, a top notch camera manufacturer, only to have it returned a month or so later without any repair of any kind, shipping both ways charged to the customer. I had to send a lens in to Canon for repair a couple of times (once their fault, once mine), and it took 2-3 weeks for them to check it out, get back to me with the cost, then fix it, then test it all and verify it was within spec, and finally send it back. Heck, I remember Samsung started a popular new mirrorless camera line, with some pretty awesome specs and really competitive features...then they ditched the entire endeavor a couple years later leaving the hundreds of thousands of people who had bought into their new system completely hanging...

Some top notch manufacturers offer prestige support levels, which affects how repairs are queued. Like Canon CPS. Unless you pay, or at least buy enough gear to qualify, you get the "slow" service. Once you pay, or otherwise qualify, you get the "fast" service, often with other extraneous costs covered. The more prestige support users there are, the more non-prestige support users have to wait... (not sure if QHY offers any such thing, but, I wouldn't be surprised if their big-buyer corporate or institutional customers get priority support over us little one-off astrophotography guys...as they well should...)

I use ZWO cameras mostly. They are not the best cameras in the world, and ZWO is not generally considered a top notch manufacturer, but every time I've needed something fixed, ZWO always seemed eager to help, and were very quick about things. On a couple occasions I had driver bugs fixed or features added in just a matter of hours, which blew me away. For some top notch or higher end manufacturers, there have been driver bugs and feature requests that have gone unanswered for years...

Considering that these are pretty precise devices that require a certain amount of fairly tight tolerances to be maintained, and considering the manufacturer is over seas, four weeks is not the end of the world. It could be significantly worse. It could be better, but four weeks is not the end of the world... Heck, I've had three solid months of clouds recently...

• TimN, Ted Dobosz, Paul Garais and 1 other like this

#15 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

Perhaps service dept has changed. I think it is be fixed in Hong Kong.

My package made to it to China quickly. Shipping is not the problem.

Hopefully, I will get return tracking soon. I will let you know how things go.

Max

#16 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:10 AM

I had Linux driver issues with a 10+ year old qhy camera, that they fixed fixed for me. It took a while for them to get started on it, but once they did it was a few emails and betas back and forth between me and their software developer and now it works. I call that excellent support!

#17 cccha

cccha

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

QHY has just established a Hong Kong repair center due to the increasing difficulty of customs clearance for returning to China for repairs. This is also a positive change we have made to improve the speed of after-sales processing. Since the newly established maintenance center needs a certain running-in time, the recent maintenance will be slightly longer than the previous cycle, but we are moving in a faster and better direction. We will do our best in after-sales service。

• EspacioProfundo, psandelle, LauraMS and 4 others like this

#18 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:16 AM

It is has been 12 days since Yang of QHY responded here about my Camera.  QHY also sent me an email

Still no camera or tracking #.

It will China's Holiday time soon. 

What's a good turn around time these days for a board change 4 or 6 months ?

Max Mirot

#19 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

Dear

I asked the maintenance engineer, and now the camera is being cleaned up. We can send it to you this week.

Please later

Yang

We must have a different concept of time.  Clean up must take forever too.

Camera was out side about 3 hours before failing.

#20 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

It is has been 12 days since Yang of QHY responded here about my Camera.  QHY also sent me an email

Still no camera or tracking #.

It will China's Holiday time soon. 

What's a good turn around time these days for a board change 4 or 6 months ?

Max Mirot

Months is too long. Weeks, ok, that could be understandable given where it's going...maybe a month. Many months? Yeah, that is too long. 

• psandelle likes this

#21 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

It was sometime mid November when I shipped it to their service center in California. They just forward it to China so there is less problems with customs.

If I ever get the camera back it may well go up for sale. I was looking at the QHY600 as the next step up. 

I think I will have to the go with ZWO.

Service matters.

Max

#22 cccha

cccha

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:17 AM

Hello Max

The camera was issued by Sinotrans DHL last week, and the order number is: 7948306122. I think we will reach you soon. We apologize for the progress. Through the efforts of the overseas maintenance department, we will definitely provide better after-sales maintenance services to customers in the future.

#23 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Thanks I got the camera today !

• psandelle likes this

#24 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

I had pretty much the same bad experience with QHY. I needed my 16200A to be checked out and the fan replaced. It took them 4 weeks to do the repair from the time that they got the camera. They do have a US depot where you can send the camera but that depot does not appear (to me) to do any repairs. At the same time, it took about the same amount of time to have my ASI1600 motherboard replaced - 4 weeks from the time that they got it. So, I would not rate either company as top notch when it comes to warranty service. I had much better luck with my old SBIG STF8300 which took two weeks to have a motherboard replaced about 5 years ago. 

Rgrds-Ross

Just got my QHY16200a back from sensor cleaning. I took about 5 weeks. I had sent my camera to Michael (he used to be at SBIG) at the QHY facility in Santa Barbara so that he could send it to the repair facility in China. I used the ticket system on the website to keep asking about my camera status. When thing got slow or the replies seemed like BS, I sent an email to Michael who then emailed Dr. Qiu, and things started moving along faster. It was 2 weeks from the time of Michaels intervention until I had my camera back.

The take home message is you gotta stay on top with frequent contact to get things done.

• psandelle likes this

#25 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Prachinburi, Thailand

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:18 AM

I managed to blow up my QHY163M just before Christmas and sent it off to QHY's new international service centre in Hong Kong. I got it back today and considering that there were quite a few public holidays (New Year and then Chinese New Year) in that period, and not forgetting corona virus and other events in Hong Kong, I'm very happy with the turnaround time. The cost of repair was very reasonable too.

• Ted Dobosz likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics