•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Poor QHY repair service; this is a slow boat to China

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Apollo

• Loc: Texas

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:25 PM

I am not taking the side of QHY, but I needed some assistance with my QHY11 cooler. They charged me only about $60 for everything including the shipping. Camera has worked great since. Took about 8 weeks.

It is an interesting experience to work with them. 

HA

#27 maxmir

maxmir

Ranger 4

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

I purchased my QHY128C two years ago. I never really got past plugging it in and testing operation.

This fall I tried again. It could not produce an image.

It was repaired in China after two months. Now it downloads images fine. I found another problem as I started using the camera.

I first noted that  the image center was offset by about 1000 pixel in X and 500Y. The sensor appears centered using a ruler in the camera .

The QHY128C comes with an adjustable front end piece with three screws

that allows for some lateral adjustment. However, a 1000 pixels exceeded the range. I have a lathe and removed 2mm from the adjustable front piece.

I am was now able to center a star and rotate the camera in the focuser without lateral shift. Offsetting the sensor took 2-3 mm.

I could not understand why the image was so far off center.

Next I did a plate solve ( this is where the plot thickens )

I measured 1.21 arcsec per pixel and FOV 2.03 x 1.37 degrees with TheSkyX's image link plate solution.

The scope in an AP130 f6. I verified that the scope has a FL of close to the specified 780mm focal length using a ruler.

The predicted FOV should be about 2.64 x 1.76 degrees at 1.58 arcsec per pixel.  This is using  a 780mm FL scope and a 128C camera specified with 6036 x 4028 pixels  @ 5.97u.

The plate solution at  a FOV 2.03 x 1.37 and 1.21 arcsec per pixel suggests that scope has 1020mm  FL. This is most decidedly not true. 

I have determine that the camera likely has much smaller pixels ( about 4.7-5.0u) and is not using all the pixels on the sensor.

I am keeping in mind the fact that active imaging area is substantial offset.

I don't know if it is possible to install a 367C sensor and configure to readout a sub-frame using firmware.

The 367C has 4.88u. This would fit the measured offset and plate solution.

Kind of sucks too. I want the FOV.

What do you think?

Max

#28 maxmir

maxmir

Ranger 4

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

Started another thread.

https://www.cloudyni...sed-up-qhy128c/

#29 cccha

cccha

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:03 AM

This needs to be confirmed. It should not be a deviation of the mechanical center, because 1000 pixels are very large and account for 1/4 of the whole in the vertical direction. This deviation can be seen intuitively. Can you intuitively see that the chip has a large deviation?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics