•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 12" EMC - ASCOM - Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rockmover

rockmover

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

I have a classic LX200 12" that I haven't used for years and just got back out.  However I can not get the ASCOM drivers to communicate with it. What is strange however is the scope WILL talk to other software like SatTracker (super old version).  All controls work just fine in that software, and it returns RA & DEC back to the computer when I move the scope with the hand controller.  I have tried two different serial to USB adapters (different brands) and 3 PC's (windows 10 & windows 7).  

I have also tried I think every Mead LX200 driver on the ASCOM site.  But when I open ASCOM diagnostics and try to connect it returns: "There doesn't appear to be anything connected to the port" error.

I am at a loss as to what to try next?  Suggestions?  I did replace the MAX232 chip years ago, and even have a few spares left.  I thought about replacing that, but as the computer controls it just fine from SatTracker I would think the com side is ok?

I assume this is the correct ASCOM driver for a LX200 12" EMC?

Meade LX200 Classic and Autostar #494, #495, and #497 (combined telescope/focuser, 5.0.4, May 2013)

I have also changed com port settings using COM 1, 5, and 9. Rebooting after each change in the Device manager and then of course setting the new com port in the ASCOM properties.

I'd really like to get Stelarium to work with this scope, but not sure what to do or try now?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by rockmover, 06 January 2020 - 11:50 AM.

#2 AF7JQ

AF7JQ

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concho Valley, Arizona 6500Ft ASL

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:27 PM

Your drivers for the serial cable are probably out of date. WINDOWS changed how they handled the old Prolific drivers and mine quit working till I got the new drivers. You could also change from Prolific to a FTDI usb cable. You can find them on ebay...just look for ones that say they work with Meade. There were a lot of counterfit Prolific drivers out there, and they are not fully complient. When WIN's updated they no longer worked. The FTDI cables all work.

Also there is a new Generic Meade Ascom driver out...not listed on the Ascom page. It works for my LX600. Download the highest number driver....7 I think.

https://bitbucket.or...ar497/wiki/Home

John

#3 rockmover

rockmover

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:40 PM

Thank  you John!!! 

My USB drivers were ok, it was all the ASCOM Meade driver. I thought I had tried every one I could find, but the link you posted above worked perfectly!  

And with the new stelarium 19.3 that was just released the LX200 works flawlessly.

Fantastic, and thanks again!!!

Edited by rockmover, 06 January 2020 - 09:41 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics