•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reichert looking for ID and manual

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skluever

skluever

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

Hi Everyone.  I stumbled across this forum looking for a manual for my microscope.

Nice to be here!

Can anyone put a model name / number to this one in the picture?  I know it's a Reichert from Austria, and possibly dating from the 1960s or 1970s. 

And I am seriously looking for a user manual.  If you have any information, please let me know.

I specifically want to find how to align / adjust the phase contrast setup.  And I'm also not sure which condenser position to use with which lens.

Thanks

Stephan

IMG_2901b.jpg

#2 nvmicro

nvmicro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:26 PM

Hello Stephan,

This is a Reichert Diapan.  The Diapan (and it's little brother, the Neopan) have an unusual fine focusing mechanism that is actuated by angling the coarse focus controls about a vertical axis.  Manuals are a bit tricky to obtain, but it is otherwise not an overly-complicated microscope.

The built-in illumination system (with 12V halogen lamp, focusable collector lens , field iris and filter wheel) is really the major difference between the Diapan and Neopan. (I notice you are missing a portion of the lamp holder) 

wrt Phase contrast adjustment - here is a link to the Reichert phase contrast manual (albeit in combination with the more elaborate Zetopan model - but the concepts are the same) http://www.science-i...al_Contrast.pdf

As far as I can make out, I only recognize one of the objectives as a Reichert phase objective (red band) and if you look at it closely you will see the number 3 on it.  This number indicates that this objective is to be used with the condenser in selecting the #3 phase ring.  To align the phase rings (as per the linked manual above), it is easiest to do so with a phase telescope in place of one of the eyepieces.  These are regularly available on eBay such as this listing here:https://www.ebay.com...353.m1438.l2649.

Hope that helps

John

#3 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

I have one of those as well. Great microscope!

"And I'm also not sure which condenser position to use with which lens.". That all becomes clear, once you have a phase telescope: the phase anulus of the condenser should match the one in the objective.

nvmicro: "albeit in combination with the more elaborate Zetopan model - but the concepts are the same". You're right and the condensers for the Neopan/Diapan fit into the condenser slider for the Zetopan.

Edited by Microscopy, 07 January 2020 - 09:22 AM.

#4 skluever

skluever

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

Thanks guys.  This is really fantastic help!

The lamp holder is not a problem - just out for repairs by my son.

I do notice from the manual that there's something else that I'm missing, named the "wide-field lens".  Hopefully I can live without it?

So it's clear I have to get hold of a phase telescope.

As for the phase objectives:  there are more of them on this microscope.  They are labelled with a "Ph" which I believe indicates it is a phase contrast objective.  And when I unscrew them, I can clearly see the ring inside.

Thanks again for the help

Stephan

#5 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

Reichert objectives labeled with "ph" are for phase contrast, objectives labeled with "phA"  for anoptral phase contrast. Both use the same condenser, but the objectives are different.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics