•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR2755 in High Res | Jan 6th 2020

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Heya,

AR2755 persists today. I managed to image for a few minutes (20 minutes?!) while working on my observatory (replacing walls, roof, etc, with new exterior ply). Lovely to image with automation and just work on something and let lucky imaging do its thing. Seeing was ok today, not great, but not as bad as the other day. My seeing dipped down around 1.1 arc-seconds today and that is when I grabbed the best lucky image frames apparently, thanks to the Airy Labs SSM and FireCapture's automation software (super thanks to the authors of that software!). AR2755 will probably decay rapidly from this point on, and I have to work, so I won't see it likely on its way out.

49342044377_e33ff07ef2_c.jpg

49341820811_22b7f191d0_c.jpg

49342044687_8ed90bf296_c.jpg

49341370023_e1070c415a_c.jpg

Seeing conditions (circle highlighted when I imaged around 1.1 arc-seconds for this data; only imaged for around 20 minutes and only 6 minutes with the SSM, which was apparently enough time):

Seeing_01062020.jpg

Equipment:

C8 Edge + Aries D-ERF + Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (ERF #2)
HA Filter + ASI290MM

solarsetep_01062020.jpg

Very best,

• BYoesle, Lizq, PhotonJohn and 10 others like this

#2 RickV

RickV

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

Excellent images Marty!  I like the idea of working while automation takes care of imaging!

Best,

Rick

• MalVeauX likes this

#3 Dagobert

Dagobert

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

Beautiful shots Marty.  Congrats on integrating the SSM into your set-up.  It’s a brilliant piece of kit.  I discovered an interesting phenomenon with mine over the weekend.  The image on screen was literally falling apart because I had gotten near my horizon limit over the roof of the house but SSM was still showing thumbs up with seeing in the .5 to 1.5 range.  I’ve read somewhere that it only detects certain types of atmospheric disturbances and not others.  I think I found one of the latter.

• MalVeauX likes this

#4 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

Awesome Marty.

• MalVeauX likes this

#5 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

Awesome details Marty!

• MalVeauX likes this

#6 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:42 PM

Nice images Marty!👍

May I ask, what parameters you set in the SSM to trigger the camera? Thanks
  • MalVeauX likes this

#7 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:36 AM

Fantastic images Marty.

• MalVeauX likes this

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:32 AM

Nice images Marty!

May I ask, what parameters you set in the SSM to trigger the camera? Thanks

I'm still experimenting with it, but basically any time it saw a seeing value close to 2" or 2.2" I would have it trigger to capture for a few seconds (80 FPS x 10 seconds for example) and wait 10 seconds between potential bursts (could go shorter, I use a 1TB SSD and it doesn't choke with sequential large bursts or 1.5~2Gb). You can of course just do sequential non-stop capturing for an hour and capture that one moment of good seeing, just takes longer to copy all the data, comb the data, stack it, process it, same thing can be done of course. But this just gives you a metric to go by and share and of course culls the data when the seeing is 4" or 5" or worse to avoid all that bloated useless data.

Mainly I think I like to watch the average, if the average is trending down, then seeing is improving on average and the odds to get a brief moment of excellent seeing is more likely.

I think its great for the idea of just setting it to capture and walking away or do visual with another instrument and just let it go. When I'm watching it real time, I don't need it to be automated though, I just like to see the seeing numbers and the real time view on screen at the same time and watch the correlation, it's pretty amazing that it's correlated so fast.

Still have a lot to learn about it and will keep trying more things.

Very best,

• hopskipson and BeltofOrion like this

#9 MAURITS

MAURITS

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

Top Marty.

• MalVeauX likes this

#10 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

I'm still experimenting with it, but basically any time it saw a seeing value close to 2" or 2.2" I would have it trigger to capture for a few seconds (80 FPS x 10 seconds for example) and wait 10 seconds between potential bursts (could go shorter, I use a 1TB SSD and it doesn't choke with sequential large bursts or 1.5~2Gb). You can of course just do sequential non-stop capturing for an hour and capture that one moment of good seeing, just takes longer to copy all the data, comb the data, stack it, process it, same thing can be done of course. But this just gives you a metric to go by and share and of course culls the data when the seeing is 4" or 5" or worse to avoid all that bloated useless data.

Mainly I think I like to watch the average, if the average is trending down, then seeing is improving on average and the odds to get a brief moment of excellent seeing is more likely.

I think its great for the idea of just setting it to capture and walking away or do visual with another instrument and just let it go. When I'm watching it real time, I don't need it to be automated though, I just like to see the seeing numbers and the real time view on screen at the same time and watch the correlation, it's pretty amazing that it's correlated so fast.

Still have a lot to learn about it and will keep trying more things.

Very best,

Marty, if you set it to trigger a 10 second capture and the SSM seeing moves out of your set value in, say, 7 seconds, I assume it stops the capture. Will it pick up and finish the remaining 3 seconds when the seeing drops back into the range you set? Or, if you have  a sequence set, does it just start a new one? Is there a plugin you have to get in order for the SSM to work with FireCapture? Have you considered using the AiryLabs Genika Astro software to control the SSM?

• MalVeauX likes this

#11 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

Marty, if you set it to trigger a 10 second capture and the SSM seeing moves out of your set value in, say, 7 seconds, I assume it stops the capture. Will it pick up and finish the remaining 3 seconds when the seeing drops back into the range you set? Or, if you have  a sequence set, does it just start a new one? Is there a plugin you have to get in order for the SSM to work with FireCapture? Have you considered using the AiryLabs Genika Astro software to control the SSM?

Hey Clayton,

It will stop the capture when its out of range for a period of time that you can set. But I don't bother stopping it with 10 second sequences. I rarely get sustained sub-arc-second moments greater than merely milliseconds. So it would likely stop after just a few frames. I like it to just watch and if seeing drops to a set value (say, I set it to 1.2 arc-secs for example), it will just grab a 10 second capture which results in about 800 frames with my setup on average. Then sit and wait for the seeing to trigger again. You can get a lot more specific with it, but I'm keeping it quite simple and just limiting it. If you set it to record a lot longer time or more frames, it would be more useful to set it to stop recording if seeing goes out of range and start again when seeing comes back into range. That's the real strength, which would be ideal in highly variable seeing conditions.

The plugin for FireCapture to use the SSM is here: http://www.joachim-s...e/sssm_eng.html

I haven't used Genika software since it doesn't do all the things FIreCapture does, and the plugin works for FireCapture, so I'm happy with it.

Very best,

#12 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

Hey Clayton,

It will stop the capture when its out of range for a period of time that you can set. But I don't bother stopping it with 10 second sequences. I rarely get sustained sub-arc-second moments greater than merely milliseconds. So it would likely stop after just a few frames. I like it to just watch and if seeing drops to a set value (say, I set it to 1.2 arc-secs for example), it will just grab a 10 second capture which results in about 800 frames with my setup on average. Then sit and wait for the seeing to trigger again. You can get a lot more specific with it, but I'm keeping it quite simple and just limiting it. If you set it to record a lot longer time or more frames, it would be more useful to set it to stop recording if seeing goes out of range and start again when seeing comes back into range. That's the real strength, which would be ideal in highly variable seeing conditions.

The plugin for FireCapture to use the SSM is here: http://www.joachim-s...e/sssm_eng.html

I haven't used Genika software since it doesn't do all the things FIreCapture does, and the plugin works for FireCapture, so I'm happy with it.

Very best,

" ... it would be more useful to set it to stop recording if seeing goes out of range and start again when seeing comes back into range. That's the real strength, which would be ideal in highly variable seeing conditions."

So that's possible? That is indeed interesting! Considering the conditions we experience in these parts, I'm seriously considering purchasing one. The time  recaptured that could be spent doing other things and the sub zero temps that fingers and toes wouldn't have to be  subjected to in these winter months are all incentives. Over the past months, I've noticed the CGX-L mount set to solar tracking does an excellent job keeping the disk centred, so I wouldn't have to worry about that either.

Thanks Marty.

Edited by BeltofOrion, 15 February 2020 - 02:00 PM.

• MalVeauX likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics