•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI 533 Banding Problem

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

Hello All - 

I received my ZWO ASI 533 a few weeks back and was finally able to get it out to do some test imaging!

I was using this with the ZWO ASI Air and as usual, things worked great.  HOWEVER, I have this "banding" problem in my images.

I've never had this problem with a ZWO camera before.

Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on here?

Parameters:

Scope:  Meade 10" using .4x Night Owl Reducer

Sub Settings:  bin1, 0C, gain360 - 20 second exposure

Attached Thumbnails

• zwo-asi-533-color-banding .jpg

#2 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

So this is interesting.  I just took another look through my subs for the night.....

In the first/original post here, I was using the Triad Quad Band filter.

I pullled another image using no filter and though the banding is still there, it is much less pronounced.  See attached - i included the "larger" image and then a zoomed in crop so you can see the faint bands..

Attached Thumbnails

• zwo-asi-533-color-no-triad-large.jpg
  • zwo-asi-533-color-no-triad-zoom.jpg

#3 DrGomer

DrGomer

Ranger 4

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:51 PM

Do you see this in bias and dark frames? What acquisition software and driver? Able to try another?

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:09 AM

I'm not an expert, but to me it looks like some kind of noise disturbance, like from maybe a dew heater cord too close to the camera USB cable. Something to do with maybe a USB hub? 

Maybe try reconfigure your USB cables, or trying different ones.

#5 gene williams

gene williams

Mariner 2

• Loc: Western Missouri

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

I'm a newbie on these cameras, but is a gain of 360 high? I was thinking unity gain was 100 on this camera, and perhaps 360 is high?
  • starhunter50 and Dynan like this

#6 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

I'm a newbie on these cameras, but is a gain of 360 high? I was thinking unity gain was 100 on this camera, and perhaps 360 is high?

360 Gain is "high", but its well within the capability of this camera.... all that would do is add more noise to the image.  I also shot at 100 and zero gain and had the same problem, though not as pronounced.

Its definitely an issue.  ZWO has responded and is doing some troubleshooting with me... unfortunately this is one of those chase down the ghost things, so it might take some doing.

It might be a driver issue on the ASI Air (though its updated)..... will keep this thread informed.   There is another thread with some fantastic pictures from the 533, so its not a systemic production model problem.....

• gene williams likes this

#7 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

I'm not an expert, but to me it looks like some kind of noise disturbance, like from maybe a dew heater cord too close to the camera USB cable. Something to do with maybe a USB hub? 

Maybe try reconfigure your USB cables, or trying different ones.

You might be on to something there.... though this was the exact same setup i used last week, i did have the usb cable closer to the power cable than i normally do... perhaps there was some leakage.... i'll try it again.

• elmiko likes this

#8 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

Do you see this in bias and dark frames? What acquisition software and driver? Able to try another?

I was using the ASI Air.... your question is the same path ZWO sent me on.... trying other acquisition software....

#9 brujo

brujo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

Maybe there is some wi-fi signal disturbing.

I knew the opposite problem, where the camera dropped  wi-fi connection.

#10 Churmey

Churmey

Vostok 1

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

What do you use as a light source and how do you do your flats? I've had similar horizontal lines before when using light panels when the exposure speed captures the refresh rates of the light panel/source. 

• starhunter50 likes this

#11 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

Just a quick update.... looks like it was a driver problem on the ASI Air..... still need to retest, but got an update from ZWO

• Thundermoon1994 likes this

#12 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

I have the same issue with my QHY268C. QHY claimed, that this is a driver issue also. But their update did not bring a solution. It is very pronounced and visible in BIAS and DARK frames, where you have no signal. And not visible in daylight photo shots, where even dark shadows have a lot of signal compared to astrophotography. I think that is the same in your case since M42 ist very bright compared to your first image.

I still need (almost) clear nights for further testing. But in my case, the pattern changes and gets "rougher" if I cool strongly. If I turn off the cooler and take BIAS frames, they almost look like your example. But if I cool to, let's say Delta T -25° C, the banding gets a lower "frequency" and changes very obvious from image to image. If I Look at the frames in the PI Blink tool, it almost looks like an old TV with bad signal.

I hope it really is just some software issue, that can be figured out in a reasonable time. But now starts the New Year Time in China, which is two weeks or so.

I wish you luck with the update!

—Paul

#13 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:53 AM

I am sure it is a software problem.  I have been using the 533 for a month now and no issues whatsoever.  In fact, the camera produces very little noise, much less than my 294 and I only ned to do very little noise reduction with PixInsight.  You can test it also using the free version of Sharpcap which is what I use.  

#14 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:43 AM

Just an update.... it was NOT a driver issue.  There is something seriously wrong with this camera.  Finally had a few hours to get it back out and the banding is still there with the ASI Air.

More importantly, I tried to usecSharpCap and it won’t even load an image...... the countdown just fast cycles for about half a second even when I have 16 seconds set.  It is also giving me a weird message saying I should use a higher setting than 8 bits even though I have RGB24 selected.

In sequence generator pro, it run a full countdown but then the software hangs up trying to download.  I used a voltmeter and I’ve got clean power.  Even tried different USB cables.

I have 6 ZWO cameras and have never had this problem.... tryin to do an RMA.....

It’s Chinese New Years, so got an out of office until Feb 9. Very frustrating....

#15 RogeZ

RogeZ

Apollo

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

Dave:

Mine is giving me issues as well. RMAing with dealer as well.

#16 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

Just an update.... it was NOT a driver issue.  There is something seriously wrong with this camera.  Finally had a few hours to get it back out and the banding is still there with the ASI Air.

More importantly, I tried to usecSharpCap and it won’t even load an image...... the countdown just fast cycles for about half a second even when I have 16 seconds set.  It is also giving me a weird message saying I should use a higher setting than 8 bits even though I have RGB24 selected.

In sequence generator pro, it run a full countdown but then the software hangs up trying to download.  I used a voltmeter and I’ve got clean power.  Even tried different USB cables.

I have 6 ZWO cameras and have never had this problem.... tryin to do an RMA.....

It’s Chinese New Years, so got an out of office until Feb 9. Very frustrating....

Right now they are dealing with the Corona virus issue in China and who knows how long they will be closed.

Steve

#17 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:38 PM

Dave:

Mine is giving me issues as well. RMAing with dealer as well.

Argh... hence why i’m now regretting buying it direct from ZWO.....

#18 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having with your camera. 

I hope you can get it resolved. 

• starhunter50 likes this

#19 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:19 AM

Ok - another update on this as maybe it will help others.  I do think there is somewhat of a driver issue here....  

So the odd turn of events, was that in researching some things, I came across the “ASI Studio” in their software  repository.  I have no idea why they don’t have a full court press on advertising this incredible piece of software!

In short, its a lightweight PC software for imaging including LIVE STACKING!  Keep in mind that its in the early stages; but they are off to a good start and it works great.

So I hooked the camera up and ran the ASI Studio imaging program including live stacking.... no banding... hmm... i then used the ASI Air again... no banding!  I don’t know if they ASI Studio updated the firmware on the camera or something, but it seems to have resolved the banding issue.

HOWEVER, what it did NOT resolve is it not working in native mode with SharpCap.   It does now work in ASCOM mode in SharpCap.   I didn’t retry in SGPro, I’ll give that a go when i can get a free minute...

Now back to the Live Stacking!   I was pleasantly surprised at how well this worked.  There are a few missing features, for example, there is no way to set a limit on star size - for example, i was imaging a fairly bright region at f/4 with a long focal length and smaller chip camera - this made for big stars... i had to dramatically cut down the exposure time to make “unbloat” the stars at the stacking software wouldn’t pick them up.

Perhaps the most important missing feature is the inability to change the individual color channel levels.

I know SharpCap offers live stacking and has these features, but the ASI Live Stack is very slick!

• elmiko, starhunter50 and DSO_Viewer like this

#20 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

Well- that is good news!  I use this camera on SC (Pro version) via ASCOM driver for both live stacking and individual frames and never had an issue.   That is why I mentioned I think it is a driver issue.  I also tried it on SGP and it works fine so I bet it works for you as well.  The ASI Live Stack is ok but it really isn't up to SC standards.  Hopefully, your issues are resolved.

#21 ippiu

ippiu

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

It was the first night i wanted to use unity gain 100 on my asi533.

And before launching sharpcap session as i usually do, i checked if everything was ok, some frames, and ....boommmmm....

Horizontal banding issues..

And lately i checked also all my last darks took in the afternoon and they all have banding: pronounced at unity gain, and slowly decreasing as i increase the gain.

What can i do? I feel so sad...

Here you can also find original .fits files to download, if you want...

https://drive.google...4b-?usp=sharing

Help....please

gain100.jpg

gain150.jpg

dark.jpg

Edited by ippiu, 06 February 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#22 Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:05 PM

It was the first night i wanted to use unity gain 100 on my asi533.

And before launching sharpcap session as i usually do, i checked if everything was ok, some frames, and ....boommmmm....

Horizontal banding issues..

And lately i checked also all my last darks took in the afternoon and they all have banding: pronounced at unity gain, and slowly decreasing as i increase the gain.

What can i do? I feel so sad...

Here you can also find original .fits files to download, if you want...

https://drive.google...4b-?usp=sharing

Help....please

attachicon.gifgain100.jpg

attachicon.gifgain150.jpg

attachicon.gifdark.jpg

Interesting - was it connecting to Sharpcap via ASCOM?  I could not get it to connect via native.

Download the ASI Studio app and give it a go....

#23 ippiu

ippiu

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:36 PM

Yes, it was connected to Sharpcap via native driver...

I tried Asilive.

dark_asilive.jpg

Dark with Asilive: low gain (that is equivalent to zero 0)   120s

https://drive.google...ZN4lCZjWut0MTQt

Dark with Sharpcap: master dark, gain 100 120s  native driver

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Another strange thing is different debayering that compares in fit header...

Have a look:

debayer.jpg

What do you think?

Tomorrow i will try, in order:

- Sharpcap with ascom driver

- Asilive with medium gain (not low that is equivalent to 0)

Edited by ippiu, 06 February 2020 - 06:44 PM.

#24 ippiu

ippiu

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

I should have solved the above problem.. (i hope).hmm.gif rainbow.gif

banding.jpg

nobanding.jpg

• astrokwang2, Scott Mitchell and elmiko like this

#25 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 24 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

Did you fix the issue?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics