•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

V Sagittae

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:21 PM

A star I used to follow some time ago; and expect to get back to it after seeing this.  Tho’ I would have

to make it to age 139-yrs if the prediction works out...but who knows: maybe sooner....tongue2.gif

https://www.scienced...00107092601.htm

Edited by David Gray, 07 January 2020 - 03:21 PM.

• flt158 likes this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:26 PM

123 for me .... still long time to wait .

#3 flt158

flt158

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

I'll be 133. 

Thank you, David, for the most interesting article!

Kind regards from Aubrey. 

#4 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

This erratic star’s behaviour with its complex light curve is described in some

detail in Burnham’s Celestial Handbook Vol. 3 pages 1533-35.

Dave.

• flt158 likes this

#5 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:13 AM

When I heard about the year prediction and asked myself, "how old will I be?"  All I could think of were the words of the soon-to-be-one-armed thug in the Mos Eisley Cantina (to Luke):  "You'll be dead!"

I wish the opening description in the press releases had been a bit more accurate/informative rather than saying "Currently, the faint star V Sagittae, V Sge, in the constellation Sagitta, is barely visible, even in mid-sized telescopes."  This is about the equivalent of saying a 3rd magnitude star is barely visible to the naked eye.  It would have been more useful/informative if they had said it had brightened from about 12th mag to 11th magnitude today. 

A mid-sized scope runs from about 4" to 8".  11th magnitude is easily seen in a 4" scope.  It isn't even really a challenge in a 60mm scope except at low power in the suburbs...and even then it is visible.   

• David Gray and flt158 like this

#6 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:20 AM

As I indicated – with a vein of intended humour – little hope of many alive now seeing it go nova – but stars (planets etc.) do what they do when they do regardless of our best estimates and timetables.

The focus of my interest simply being to watch/record again a CV that I followed for a good few years with my 10” Newt back in the 1960s.  In addition to activity I’ll be watching for any colour changes as it comes well within showing that with the scope I use now.  Or indeed any contradiction-of/deviation-from the anthropic schedule........grin.gif tongue2.gif

As Burnham’s Handbook states Cecilia Payne Gaposchkin regarded it as a “potential nova” many years ago........a remarkable lady....... https://en.wikipedia...ayne-Gaposchkin

Dave.

Edited by David Gray, 09 January 2020 - 04:21 AM.

• flt158 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics