•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I bought this, what is it ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

Ok so I purchased a used Meade ETX 125 and its on its way to me now. i am not 100% sure what I am getting as the Ebay ad mentions some mutually exclusive features. It mentions the scope being an AT, an EC and also a SCT...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143480064334

I believe the scope was an EC and the original owner upgraded to autostar hand control. I dont think its an SCT as these are MAK scopes. ( i believe there are newer models that are SCT)

If someone could review that ad and let me know what i bought I would appreciate it. The more i learn the more i realize the seller has no idea.

Edited by aperseghin, 08 January 2020 - 08:56 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

You are probably right that the scope was an EC and was upgraded to AT. Although it may have been by Meade not the owner.

I have a 105 that says EC on the box, it came with a #497 AT handset and the internal plastic mouldings are for a #497 handset. I suspect Meade realised selling them with the rather basic EC was not a good idea, so in effect replaced with the #497 handset.

Actually think that all the 125's came as AT with the #497 handset, box however may say different.

It is I think a MAK, but to a person they all look alike and the seller has likely always assumed SCT whereas it is a MAK.

So guess the box may have said (still say's) EC, but never was. So the seller in effect reads both, and is a little confused themselves and being "honest" has indicated both.

And the Mak/SCT is simply not really digging into the details. the Skywatcher SE's vary from Mak to SCT as they get bigger.

Have a year reading here and people make bigger mistakes then SCT/Mak.

I have taken to saying "SCT/Mak" in replies as it is honestly easier, simpler and I have to be right as whatever scope will be one of them.

Add a location as if you have data problems it helps.

You will want you Latitude, Longitude and Time Zone and a 3 char name.

Enter the location as a custom location.

Exiting can be confusing.

Generally you will have to do a Reset to wipe old crap in the memory.

IF YOU DO THEN CHECK THE MOUNT TYPE !!!

My 105 defaults to Eq and then tries to ram OTA into base as it is generally set up in the Alt/Az position. sad.png

Usually much swearing and cursing accompanies this. x.gif

Data is fairly obvious and easy.

Get a 32mm plossl, or 40mm plossl, align the finder well. Getting the first stars in view will be the hair tearing out time.

Level and North means LEVEL and NORTH, not approximatly or that'll do, if you work out the field of view and what it means then the better that is the easier it all goes.

The best bit of the manual is the menu tree page, that sort of answers everything. The menu tree is your best friend. lol.gif

I see you get both handset types so does seem someone has upgraded it themselves. Seems a little unusual, honestly thought all were the #497.

Edited by sg6, 08 January 2020 - 09:20 AM.

• Cassiesdad likes this

#3 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

I have been using this as a reference 
http://www.weasner.com/etx/faq.html

Im just hoping i got a good deal... 

#4 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

Meade ETX family of telescopes

https://en.wikipedia...e_ETX_telescope

In January 1999, Meade introduced the ETX-EC which included electronic control of both axis through a small hand-controller. An optional #497 Autostar package was offered and would replace the simple electric controls, turning the ETX-EC into a fully computerized "goto" telescope. A "standard" #883 tripod was available as an optional accessory.

Not officially a new model but rather a package (which eventually became standard), the "AT" package included an ETX-EC telescope bundled with the #497 Autostar controller and a stronger "deluxe" #884 tripod.

Meade's UHTC (Ultra High Transmission Coating) treatment was first offered as an option on "EC" model telescopes (part of the "AT" bundle) in 2002. This coating improves light transmission by about 15%.

I don't see any reference to it being an SCT.  It correctly names it as an MCT several times.  The new ones are also MCTs as is the ETX 90. 

Ad seems to be accurate about an ETX 125 EC.  When the EC first came out it did not have the 497 autostar handset. That was an option.   In later releases it was included. 

A new ETX 125 Observer is about $700.    Mind if I ask what you paid for it? 

I own an ETX 125 EC with an Autostar upgrade.  Mine just went through an overhaul on my workbench because a bracket broke that put the GoTo out of commission.  I think I have it fixed. Have not tested it.

Your scope is probably 12 to 15 years old.   Likely the optics and the stand are in good shape.  It is the motor drive system that breaks, but some are older than this and are working fine.  

If the drive system is broken, this video was a huge help in the repair.

https://www.youtube....h?v=qbNwBWB29ow

If you decide to take the optical tube off the Goto mount, this dove tail is what I used to put it on a manual mount.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have an ETX 80 Observer and an ETX 60. 

Edited by aeajr, 08 January 2020 - 09:43 AM.

#5 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

A new ETX 125 Observer is about $700.    Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

total about 450 shipped

Edited by aperseghin, 08 January 2020 - 09:52 AM.

#6 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

I actually found that repair video doing research. I am a tinkerer so I always look for tear-down/repair videos.

#7 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

What is the deal with the second hand controller "focus" buttons?

Edited by aperseghin, 08 January 2020 - 10:31 AM.

#8 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Controller would have been for a EXT125 focuser. Probably sold the focuser separately as they are sought after. W/o the Autostar the controller was needed to run focuser. 

If it's clean and complete $450 is close enough to market value. Optical tube brings $200-250 alone. They last a lot longer than the mounts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics