•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you have a maximum pay-price for different apertures & optics?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:29 AM

Whether new or pre-loved, do you have a spending limit for a given aperture and optical arrangement?

This I feel is the main determinant on what generally sells refractors of different sizes, makes, and choice of doublets, triplets or quads. Preferences for imaging are different I appreciate, but cost is still a factor. Likewise doubletitis and achromania. 

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

Yes, but no idea how I arrive at it.

Aperture is secondary, quality of optics primary in whatever manner I arrive at my limit.

• Daniel Mounsey, doctordub, samovu and 3 others like this

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

used $200 USD.  I might go to $400 to get my hands on an AT102 f/7

• 25585 likes this

#4 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

I try not to go over a tenner.

• Daniel Mounsey, Don Allen, Dougal and 8 others like this

#5 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

First, does the scope add something to my collection. Could be historical significance, fill a niche, or increase image quality.

Second, how much money is in my pocket that is not spoken for. I try not to be redundant or chase optical perfection beyond a certain level. I DO place significance on history, which explains several of the scopes in my signature.

Jmd
  • 25585 likes this

#6 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

Condition, condition, condition......

I will only buy scopes that are in near new condition and for that I am prepared to pay a fair price....

• 25585 likes this

#7 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

Cue Chaz in 3, 2, 1...

• Jon Isaacs, peleuba, 3 i Guy and 4 others like this

#8 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Whether new or pre-loved, do you have a spending limit for a given aperture and optical arrangement?

This I feel is the main determinant on what generally sells refractors of different sizes, makes, and choice of doublets, triplets or quads. Preferences for imaging are different I appreciate, but cost is still a factor. Likewise doubletitis and achromania. 

Unfortunately I have a maximum pay price for everything in my life. 

It's probably a good thing, as I'd look pretty silly trying to stuff a 10 in TEC into a Lamborghini...

• Pompey Monkey, mikeDnight, Steve Allison and 1 other like this

#9 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

It's probably a good thing, as I'd look pretty silly trying to stuff a 10 in TEC into a Lamborghini...

Be honest! You would really like to have that problem😃

Jmd
  • stevew, mikeDnight and Steve Allison like this

#10 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

That's what Escalades are for. Use your Lambo for date nites and carving canyon roads.
😁

Edited by Auburn80, 09 January 2020 - 08:22 AM.

• stevew likes this

#11 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

I have no set spending limits, but my "hobby account" has a finite balance.

That sets my practical spending limit for anything I consider purchasing.

Cheers,

Ron

• Scott in NC, Bomber Bob, HydrogenAlpha and 3 others like this

#12 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

For me, the bigger they get the less I want to drag them out and use them, so I'm quite content with a 4" refractor. For a good 4" refractor doublet, I'd be happy to pay in the region of £2,500.00 (not sure what that currently is in $). I paid £3,800.50 back in 2003 for my FS128, which I had to save hard for in advance, as I never go into debt for anything astro. Later I bought a second hand FS152 and G11 mount. I had to use my FS128 to fund that deal and I only had to add a further £1000 to seal the scope deal and £600 for the G11. I would never pay Tak prices for one of their 6" refractors! Although the FS152 was superb, it didnt warrant the extra weight and bulk, and didnt really offer a noticeable planetary punch over the FS128 and I used it less. 

The biggest scope I'd ever want now would probably be a TSA 120, but I'd need to buy it second hand. Until one comes up for sale at a price I can afford, I'll keep on being wowed by my FC100DC - which I got new at a great price.

• RAKing, StarDust1 and 25585 like this

#13 drd715

drd715

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

Price is relative to my perceived value on a particular scope (product). Quality of optics and a superior larger focuser will definitely up the ante. Quality is king. A finely made product will retain value and its use will be more fulfilling. But the ultra high cost high quality products are beyond my comfort level even though they are the ultimate in their nitch. I could never be comfortable driving around in a $100k car when a great $35k car works well. Not so interested in the $10k Yugo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Scott in NC and 25585 like this

#14 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Sure, just like almost everything else in life...well, except a good marriage which is priceless.

• Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman, Scott in NC and 7 others like this

#15 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Sure, just like almost everything else in life...well, except a good marriage which is priceless.

The stars look a little brighter when my wife is out with me!  (Except for Betelgeuse this year:-)  An immediate enhancement of the value of any of my telescopes!

JMD

• Don Allen, lynnelkriver, Pompey Monkey and 2 others like this

#16 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

What hip?, whats hot? What ain't I got?

The bigger it is, the easier it is to justify, but from a practical standpoint $15K (thats 15 telescope dollars) is my limit for a scope. This would have to be an 180mm F/7  triple apo

Spending more than that, I risk chuckles, and eye rolling from family and friends.

#17 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

I doubt many of us (or maybe any of us) have rules like,

* Up to 1,000 USD per inch of aperture is the maximum for apochromatic triplets

* Up to 800 USD per inch of aperture is the maximum for apochromatic doublets

* Up to 150 USD per inch of aperture is the maximum for achromats

It's just not that simple.  I would pay more for an Astro-Physics refractor than I would for an equivalently sized Explore Scientific or Skywatcher even though they may be identical on a spec sheet.  I would pay more for a scope with a Feathertouch focuser than for one with a house brand single speed.  I would pay more for a new telescope than a used one.  I would pay more for a telescope with an available matched field flattener since I do a lot of astrophotography.  I would pay a premium for "compactness" and "low weight" (until I felt the compactness was affecting mechanical quality or suitability for a given use).  I would pay a premium for speed--faster scopes are generally a better match to my particular uses. 

There are some "features" I wouldn't pay a premium for, though.  I wouldn't pay extra for a triplet over a doublet.  Either might be better or worse suited for a given purpose.  I wouldn't pay a premium for Fluorite over FPL-53 assuming appropriate mating glass for either.  I wouldn't pay a premium for air spaced over oiled or vice versa.  I wouldn't pay any significant amount of money for a refractor over about 140mm in aperture--it wouldn't get used frequently enough.  Made that mistake in the past.

End result?  No specific "rules".  There are features I care about and features I don't.  Many of those features are specific to me and wouldn't extend to every consumer.  In order to determine what I would pay for a given telescope, I would need to evaluate how it fits in with the rest of my telescopes, whether it would be used a lot or a little, what additional equipment would be required to make it useful to me (flatteners, cameras, focuser upgrades, mounts, etc.), whether it would be a replacement for an existing telescope, what my then current financial situation looked like, and whether the opportunity is one I'm likely to run into again or not.  

• Scott in NC, HydrogenAlpha and 25585 like this

#18 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

Agree, not really specific rules per mm of aperture. More of an annual budget for astrogear. Do I want a 6” Apo or a set of hyperwides? I tend not to spend thousands of dollars on a single scope so that seems to rule out a 6” Apo or say premium 5” Apo. I also have reflectors and a Mak, and I like a good eyepiece, so refractors have to compete for limited funds.

Scott
  • 25585 and mrsjeff like this

#19 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

TV127 (mainly due to curiosity) but would have to be local and at or below resale as I doubt I'd be keeping it.

• Bean614 and 25585 like this

#20 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

Unfortunately, my heart usually rules and any thoughts of budget go out the door.

• Don Allen and 25585 like this

#21 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

I compare the price per square millimeter of the lens to others in its category (new, used, doublet, triplet) and go from there.

#22 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

Be honest! You would really like to have that problem

Jmd

Of course I was joking....

It would be an Aston Martin DB11, I wouldn't be caught dead in a gaudy Italian car..

• Don Allen likes this

#23 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

Well, I have spent up to $2300 on an Astro-Physics 6" once, but I would never spend that much on any telescope again.

Now, I did spend $8500 on a pair of binoculars so clearly it isn't because I am too poor or too cheap.  I just never found a refractor past the AP that I would want to spend much more than a grand on.  

I might spend $5K on a Lunt 100.  I keep going back and forth on that one.  I love my Lunt 80 and the reason is that I use it almost every sunny day. I use it because it is light and easy to carry out to the mount that I leave sitting out on the patio.  If I had to carry out a shiny mount for the Lunt 100, I don't know if I would use it as much as I use the 80.

Otherwise, I don't see myself spending over $1000 for any kind of telescope these day. But I have a 106mm FPL-53 Triplet, a 6" f/2.8 reflector, a Lunt 80,  and a 12" dob.   What else do I need?

Edited by Eddgie, 09 January 2020 - 11:05 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#24 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

"But I have a 106mm FPL-53 Triplet, a 6" f/2.8 reflector, a Lunt 80,  and a 12" dob.   What else do I need?"

Nothing. 

#25 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

I am about to purchase an AP 92mm Stowaway so the $3590 price tag is the most money spent on a scope.  But most of the funds are coming from savings bonds my late mother left me and she said to treat yourself someday, which I am.  Otherwise if a scope is over $1500 I usually sell some gear to pay for most of it.  

Bill

• doctordub and SpaceX like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics