•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hyperstar 14 edge/sct question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jambi99

jambi99

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

Hi there,

I have a c14 sct and would be interested in purchasing a used hyperstar edge lens. Do you know if the hyperstar edge lenses are compatible with the sct OTA?

Not sure if they are the same.

Thanks

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

Hi there,

I have a c14 sct and would be interested in purchasing a used hyperstar edge lens. Do you know if the hyperstar edge lenses are compatible with the sct OTA?

Thanks

The Hyperstar lens comes in 2 versions:  one for the Edge HD and one for the regular non-Edge HD.  So, the fitting must be different.

If you are asking about whether you can change the fitting of an Edge HD version of a Hyperstar to the fitting of a regular non-Edge HD SCD, then I'm not certain about that.  If you email Dean at Starizona.com, he will provide you the definitive answer to that question.

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

I think Fastar fittings are similar, but the OP's original question might also require Dean's (Starizona) advice.  Much depends on which version Hyperstar and size. For example;

Starizona sell an adapter ($89) for owners of older Hyperstar lenses that want to use it with an Edge HD. But it only mentions C11. Yet Hyperstar v4 for 9.25" works on both SCT and Edge. But there is no mention of Edge on the webpage for its 14" version.

Another issue is Hyperstar is usually ordered with an adapter for a specific camera (although many cameras use the standard fitting).  As I said, I would chat with Dean when you can identify the Hyperstar model. Dean is very helpful and approachable (I phoned him from the UK). 

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

Wouldn't the actual prescription of the Hyperstar lenses be different dependent on which OTA it would be installed in: EDGE or "regular"?  A Hyperstar for an EDGE would have to account for the corrector lenses in the baffle tube, right?

• NMBob likes this

#5 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

Hi there,

Thanks

Starizona makes Hyperstar kits for Edge and non-Edge Celestron SCTs. However, not all Celestron non-Edge SCTs are Hyperstar compatible. Best to call Starizona for help in deciding the compatibility of your OTA with Hyperstar.

#6 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:53 PM

Wouldn't the actual prescription of the Hyperstar lenses be different dependent on which OTA it would be installed in: EDGE or "regular"?  A Hyperstar for an EDGE would have to account for the corrector lenses in the baffle tube, right?

AIUI, the optical difference between Edge and non-Edge SCTs is the Edge corrector lens in the baffle tube. However, Hyperstar bypasses the corrector lens assembly since it directs the light to focus ahead of the corrector plate.

#7 jambi99

jambi99

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

I sent an email to Dean but look like the following is answering my question:https://starizona.co...-hd-adapter-c14

#8 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

AIUI, the optical difference between Edge and non-Edge SCTs is the Edge corrector lens in the baffle tube. However, Hyperstar bypasses the corrector lens assembly since it directs the light to focus ahead of the corrector plate.

Duh.  Thanks for pointing that out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics